Bosch Pump Chatter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bosch Pump Chatter
(06-07-2012, 12:15 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Heat / Cold Smile .....

yes gave this a go, hoping for a haynes manual esque "and the ball simply drops out" - but as usual it just stared back at me not budging.
Thanks given by:
The problem you'll find, James is that when you get the pump to the point where it doesn't smoke at all, you'll find it'll actually be worse to drive, it means that unless you just NAIL through gears, the lda pin doesn't drop all that easily because you don't have the fuel there to create the hot exhaust gasses needed to spin the turbo...

I had my car to a point where there was NO smoke, but in the end, I just reverted it to standard, because it ends up being laggier and you've not got the fuel there to spin the turbo...

That's my opinion anyway, if you have a turbo that spools fast enough, you don't really need any smoke control, once I'm actually moving, my car never smokes unless you drop it into 5th at 1200rpm, but you won't get a huge amount because the LDA hasn't dropped... You need the boost pressure there to drop the LDA, which means having boost - but whenever there's enough boost to drop the LDA, it'll just instantly spin the turbo up to full pressure, burning clean with just a slight whiff as it spins the turbo up...

Remember - a larger injection head puts the levers back into their "normal" range - you've just got to work on the low throttle control... It means that you aren't having to modify the levers to give yourself excessively long injection durations, which would be much shorter with a larger injection head...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(06-07-2012, 02:53 PM)Ruan Wrote: The problem you'll find, James is that when you get the pump to the point where it doesn't smoke at all, you'll find it'll actually be worse to drive, it means that unless you just NAIL through gears, the lda pin doesn't drop all that easily because you don't have the fuel there to create the hot exhaust gasses needed to spin the turbo...

I agree with this, have had the pump right down on smoke, but a shed load on boost, and it was a nightmare to drive until you're on boost, pulling off from junctions ..etc definitely need something down low, compromises n all.
Thanks given by:
Jp are you using the standard DVs? I posted some info in the 11 vs 9mm thread but it seemed to die after that post, think chinese valves are a few pounds if you cant get access to lots of pumps to look! I can get the pump part number off the pump I robbed if your interested it made some difference. Seems the duration could be as long you want but couldnt get the fuel to injectors on the standard items esp above 4k rpm.
Thanks given by:
How come these threads always die after con mentions the above! @con, where do you find info on the dv's. I tried looking for info on the ones you suggested and couldn't find anything, not even for the standard ones. Went to call in to Tommy Wright in Ballymena to chat him about them but he was closed for the 12th!
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2012, 06:16 PM)Harky Wrote: How come these threads always die after

Because people who know are keeping quiet Wink Its been discussed before, ull find the people who have put the time in / know there stuff, arnt going to divulge it all in public on a forum Wink
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Shame, that's what forums are all about! Sharing info!

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Iv got some info to share - Darren and JP fancy each other and secretly get it on.
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2012, 10:41 PM)jammapic Wrote: Shame, that's what forums are all about! Sharing info!

JP

Ive got some info to share to, I share loads of info no?

There vast ammounts of info available right up to a certain point with the VE, and then you will normally find things go pretty quiet, not just on our forum, but across them all...

Ive been sharing info on these forums for the last 3-4 years, so not really sure thats true really....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Well theres the info out so absorb, experiment and post your results.
Thanks given by:
I'll be using the standard peugeot DVs for now and see how it goes, I can easily swap out the transit ones to see if there is any difference at some point, as presumably they can flow more.

It just gets to a point where without having a spec sheet, or someway of formal testing, the only thing I can do is trial and error and see if there is any difference. Or more specifically, wait until I feel there is a problem and then try and solve it.

I think everyone on here is being as helpful as possible, and I'm thankful for all the input and nods in the right direction.

Past a point it isn't going to be as easy as saying turn this or add that part as it will be specific to what you're trying to achieve, and some good understanding of how it all works and what you're doing is required. Coupled with what else you're running, ie what turbo and anything else exciting you've got going on with your engine will all have an input into how you want to set up your pump.

I've found the bosch ve yellow tech manual to be a fantastic start as it gives a complete breakdown of how the pump works and from this you get a feel for what you might want to do.

I'm building up this pump slowly and prob won't have it on a car for another month yet.
Thanks given by:
Dont think the transits would work very but never tryed any di stuff, a bigger idi engine might be better take an actual look at where the fuel goes the pug ones the hole is tiny, I swore my car went better 9mm + terrano dvs vs 11mm + standard dvs, its alot less work than a pump head change then setting up etc
Go to a scrappy, rob some terrano pump of its dvs then fit them to your current 9mm, 10minute job, I bet you wont even bother with the 'new' pump or the transit head Wink
Thanks given by:
Unfortunately I won't be getting a chance to play with any of this for over a month now, silly work and that.
Thanks given by:
DVS??? Explain...
Thanks given by:
Delivery valves
Thanks given by:
Well Con, I've tried you suggestion... works well!! Smile Smile

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
(26-07-2012, 03:08 PM)jammapic Wrote: Well Con, I've tried you suggestion... works well!! Smile Smile

JP

terrano DVS'S??

Smile
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yep. Kudos to con for sharing!

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Sharings Caring Smile)

Cheers JP & Con
Thanks given by:
(26-07-2012, 03:08 PM)jammapic Wrote: Well Con, I've tried you suggestion... works well!! Smile Smile

JP

How has it affected the way the car goes JP?
Thanks given by:
ninja Hmmmm . . . . . .not needed yet but thanks. it's in the bank for when i do . Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Yeah more details on that please! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Past a certain point it requires you to start pulling pumps apart and modifying them anyway. This is probably why it goes quiet because you can figure out downfalls and things from purely taking it apart and inspecting elements yourself, and any info posted isn't normally for user benefit from here on just general info that anyone wants to share.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(28-07-2012, 04:57 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: ninja Hmmmm . . . . . .not needed yet but thanks. it's in the bank for when i do . Smile
If that spec in your sig is up to date go on and try first then decide after if you needed them Smile
Surely these can be picked up for a tenner somewhere, 30mins work, mines were free and 15mins work!
Thanks given by:
(28-07-2012, 09:05 PM)con67 Wrote:
(28-07-2012, 04:57 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: ninja Hmmmm . . . . . .not needed yet but thanks. it's in the bank for when i do . Smile
If that spec in your sig is up to date go on and try first then decide after if you needed them Smile
Surely these can be picked up for a tenner somewhere, 30mins work, mines were free and 15mins work!

well it's just that i seem to get plenty enough fuel for the K14 at 24psi, i could make it haze on full blow it i wanted, just thinking i need a bigger turbo really, is it just overall more fuel because of less restriction? . . Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Ive done manifold gasket on mine this weekend and an running just over 24psi on a gov modded bosch and K14 and it feels pretty pants, i do have a rather harsh LDA laser cut pin which JP made for me so need to look at setting up the LDA spring etc a bit as slightly more than a haze on ful boost.

But this will be something i will be looking into to get a bit extra when the TD04L is ready, whilst still learning and stripping a 9mm and 11mm pump and finding out wht different bits and bobs do Smile
Thanks given by:
(29-07-2012, 12:28 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(28-07-2012, 09:05 PM)con67 Wrote:

well it's just that i seem to get plenty enough fuel for the K14 at 24psi, i could make it haze on full blow it i w

anted, just thinking i need a bigger turbo really, is it just overall more fuel because of less restriction? . . Smile
Yes mate but theres a big difference between lengthening the duration and getting more fuel into the same duration Wink
Thanks given by:
(29-07-2012, 04:25 PM)con67 Wrote:
(28-07-2012, 09:05 PM)con67 Wrote: If that spec in your sig is up to date go on and try first then decide after if you needed them Smile

well it's just that i seem to get plenty enough fuel for the K14 at 24psi, i could make it haze on full blow it i w

anted, just thinking i need a bigger turbo really, is it just overall more fuel because of less restriction? . . Smile
Yes mate but theres a big difference between lengthening the duration and getting more fuel into the same duration Wink

Dont suppose you have a terrano pump about con?
I dont fancy getting raped in the scrappys for one Confused
Thanks given by:
(29-07-2012, 04:25 PM)con67 Wrote:
(28-07-2012, 09:05 PM)con67 Wrote: If that spec in your sig is up to date go on and try first then decide after if you needed them Smile

totally get you there mate yeah . . . . . .right ok let's do it . .Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Go for it Matt Smile you'll be getting a massive blower next its surprising how cheap can get them for Smile im on the scrounge for these DVS's now maself, blew K14 up tho yesterday lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slack in bosch pump? dt_ 14 3,440 21-10-2020, 03:41 AM
Last Post: dt_
  Bosch pump help for newbie PugRy 2 1,990 05-01-2020, 09:09 PM
Last Post: jamie182
  Bosch pump fuel screw broken Forby 0 1,491 12-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Forby