Gasket mating surface

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gasket mating surface
Afternoon chaps!

The pug will finally be getting rebuilt this week so I have started cleaning up the block for the new gasket. My question is, does all the black have to go or am I aiming for a completely smooth surface?

Cheers

This is what I've got so far.

[Image: img20120625125404.jpg]
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Completely smooth surface 100% metal and remaining crap can cause a leak
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Need to ra*e that hard with WD and sandpaper Big Grin

Want it like a mirror.
Thanks given by:
(25-06-2012, 05:23 PM)D@wson Wrote: Need to ra*e that hard with WD and sandpaper Big Grin

Want it like a mirror.

Ive been reading on other forums that you shouldnt use anything too abrasive, what would uou recommend, a 1200 grit wet and dry?
Thanks

Got the head looking pretty good though!

[Image: img20120625140012.jpg]

The machine shop took off 8thou and reseated all my valves for me for £54 Big Grin

[Image: img20120625140025.jpg]

Exhaust/Inlet ports are now pretty shiny!

[Image: img20120625140018.jpg]

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Get some emery paper, or a flap wheel to go on a drill if you want to be lazy. As long as it's flat then it's all good, so generally it is best to take it back to metal for peace of mind
Thanks given by:
I use a bench stone, the kind you use for sharpening a knife. A good one can set you back £30 but they're flat flaced ans span across the head.
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
Is the top of the block supposed to be completely flat. It feels like the bits that are still black in the top pic are slightly recessed into the block.

The head cleaned up nicely with some white spirit and a sponge scourer but the block is being really stubourn Angry

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
You can be abit more abrasive on the block due to the harder material
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As dave said, give it a good going over, it needs to be bare metal for good seal....put rags down the bores, and give it hell, ideally with a flat piece rather than a flapper wheel just incase you go a bit mad / make a low spot..but tbh I normally just do it by hand if im not getting it decked, and am yet to have any issues...get rid of all that black crap though for sure...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the replies so far people! Got loads more of today with some wd and 400 grit wet and dry.

Pics!

[Image: img20120627163135.jpg]
[Image: img20120627163149.jpg]

I dont have anything electric which is suitable (i looked at the angle grinder lol). Is there any chemicals I can buy from halfrauds that will get the last stubborn bits off? It is perfectly smooth but there are bits that are stuck in the casting bits which I cant get off Sad

I'm prepared for: "Take a big dose of MTFU and get on with it" lol.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(27-06-2012, 07:26 PM)londondan86 Wrote: Thanks for the replies so far people! Got loads more of today with some wd and 400 grit wet and dry.

Pics!

[Image: img20120627163135.jpg]
[Image: img20120627163149.jpg]

I dont have anything electric which is suitable (i looked at the angle grinder lol). Is there any chemicals I can buy from halfrauds that will get the last stubborn bits off? It is perfectly smooth but there are bits that are stuck in the casting bits which I cant get off Sad

I'm prepared for: "Take a big dose of MTFU and get on with it" lol.

Nice looking good,

Take a big dose of MTFU and get on with it
Thanks given by:
lololol I said I was ready for that!

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Thats fine like that though, you have all the sealing surfaces fine, dont neglect the edges though, like bottom right... you don't want crap keeping the gasket off in one area leaking coolant.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(27-06-2012, 11:09 PM)Dave Wrote: Thats fine like that though, you have all the sealing surfaces fine, dont neglect the edges though, like bottom right... you don't want crap keeping the gasket off in one area leaking coolant.

Legend mate, that was just what I wanted to hear! I'll give it another going over now before the rebuild tomorrow.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cylinder head manni surface sanding 306Puggy 9 3,030 05-08-2020, 03:11 PM
Last Post: ekjdm14