Nialls other project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nialls other project
i have heard you can get some well expencive bikes like,
mine is a heavy framed one just before the 1st suspention bikes come out, can i do any upgrades to it? with it been sitting for along time it would benerfit from a good over haul as it wont go into 6th gear
Thanks given by:
Just like a car, a good service always makes things better.
Yeah you can upgrade bits but what with it being that old, you might find that getting "performance" parts is quite limited.
If your genuinely serious, buy you self a good frame and build it over a bit of time. Can take all the bits like saddle, bars ect off your old one as a temp thing to save money.
Frame is always the best upgrade you can make because it links everything! And you would be surprised as what difference having a frame that has geometry set up to your height, weight ect would make! Weight also makes a big difference. My new frame is all steel and from previous experience, know it is rock solid and that weighs sod all!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
resisting actually reading this... i want my charge iron back Sad
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
[Image: 3f97f7a9.jpg]

These turned up today. Cost me 85 delivered from eBay and for a 8 year old fork, their still silky smooth.
Silver doesn't really fit with my black and green theme so I've ordered some Kawazaki green paint and will be stripping them, servicing them and painting the lowers.

[Image: 98f2764b.jpg]

Can't really afford any parts this month which is gutting because I really want to get out riding.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(02-07-2012, 04:57 PM)Niall Wrote: Can't really afford any parts this month which is gutting because I really want to get out riding.

Actually quite like this project! Would quite like to get back into riding myself but just lack the motivation/money..

On a side note.. wheels are over rated, get on! Tongue
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(02-07-2012, 05:04 PM)Midnightclub Wrote:
(02-07-2012, 04:57 PM)Niall Wrote: Can't really afford any parts this month which is gutting because I really want to get out riding.

Actually quite like this project! Would quite like to get back into riding myself but just lack the motivation/money..

On a side note.. wheels are over rated, get on! Tongue

I wish they were. The wheels I need (read want) are £325. Then I need most of the drivetrain. Its my birthday this month so will be getting some bits for that. Hopefully be getting my wheels built next payday then can crack on, on the trails!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
£325?! Ouch.... You could get 3 sets of clones with tyres for that! lol
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Love the dialled stuff, I used to know mike who owns the company as he raced in my class in BMX. Their titanium race frames are so lush, they dont paint them, they just clear coat them *drools*

(25-06-2012, 02:26 PM)Niall Wrote: The v8s have normal bearings in. The v12s have sealed roller bearings. I had a set of v8s from halfords and they lasted literally a month before the bearings shat them selfs. The v12s I had on my old light blue PA were faultless.
Your not riding right, Ive had the V8s on my BMX for 10 years and have never had them apart (although I do keep them regularly greased)

Also the V8s are lighter than the V12s by quite a bit.

That said id love a set of V12 mags with Ti axles, theyer only about 300g then.

(02-07-2012, 05:32 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: £325?! Ouch.... You could get 3 sets of clones with tyres for that! lol
LOL thats not bad, the hubs alone on my BMX wheels were about that much plus rims, spokes and building. My BMX was about £1500 to build and thats for one brake and no gears.
Thanks given by:
Yeah mike is mainly into his bmx'ing I think. Does design some great frames though. A friend had a prince albert but it was a titanium proto type. It was so shockingly light it was unreal! Think it lasted a good 5-6 years of abuse before it gave out!

The wheels I'm going for are hope pro2 hubs with Mavic 729 rims and green spoke nipples (pimping yo!)
Love the sound of the rear pro2 but the old design ones were made of cheese. I shredded my last pro2 hub and the cassette actually started slipping round under heavy pearling. Just hope they have changed the design now as the steel upgrade kit is £60!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Forks are stripped, sanded and primered and just waiting for a colour coat which will be done when I get home tonight.

[Image: 72536bae.jpg]

[Image: 09c9c5a6.jpg]

[Image: e2b21745.jpg]

I've always been a firm believer that if you maintain things, they should last longer. Clearly the previous owner of these wasn't. Looking at the state of the oil, I'm sure it was original - 8 years old! Was an absolute state!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
[Image: 12f4bd55.jpg]

GREEN! Big Grin

Unfortunately, it's the wrong green

[Image: 83ed0e9a.jpg]

Need to go and get the frame colour matched. If it was slightly out I wouldn't of minded but that's well out!

Also got the top of the forks painted

[Image: d78d71fd.jpg]

Also done a deal with my local bike shops. Their going to build my wheels for me for £300 so will be ordering them payday.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Not much done recently. Still need to take the frame to get it colour matched so I can respray the forks but haven't got the time or money

[Image: 1946b19f.jpg]
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Forks are now painted almost the same colour. Close enough anyway!

[Image: 439adc77.jpg]
New seals fitted with the chip I took out of the paint Sad

Then also chipped them here....

[Image: 2b930230.jpg]
That however is nothing a sticker won't cover up ninja

[Image: 114fba56.jpg]
Built up. Still need filling with oil and pumping up to about 110-130 psi. There in negative pressure at the moment so that's why they look like they have about 1cm of travel!

[Image: ad2482e1.jpg]

On the bike with other shiny bits.
Wheels are being ordered payday and hopefully by the time there built, I'll have everything else and it will be done Big Grin
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Inlove
[Image: car-1.jpg]

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Gah! you beat me to it with a bike project thread, although mine is a bmx thats being built as a cheap runabout. you're brakes alone are costing about 3 times the price of my entire bike lol

Very nice though Smile
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(24-07-2012, 05:35 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Gah! you beat me to it with a bike project thread, although mine is a bmx thats being built as a cheap runabout. you're brakes alone are costing about 3 times the price of my entire bike lol

Very nice though Smile

Haha I only paid £100 for them brakes. Can't grumble at all!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Looks like a decent colour match tbf mate, could never be bothered to make mine look pretty.

Who's building your wheels? Never understood the hype surrounding hope myself, is good stuff, but seems overpriced. At least, it does considering what i've seen people do to various bits of hope kit lol, would expect it to stand up to more.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(24-07-2012, 07:47 PM)Poodle Wrote: Looks like a decent colour match tbf mate, could never be bothered to make mine look pretty.

Who's building your wheels? Never understood the hype surrounding hope myself, is good stuff, but seems overpriced. At least, it does considering what i've seen people do to various bits of hope kit lol, would expect it to stand up to more.

Local bike shop in surbiton are doing them.

Tbh hope stuff is expensive but everything I've had has been exceptional quality with the exception of the body on my rear pro2. The cassette shredded the free body but they do do a steel version which I will be getting!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Big update hopefully coming tomorrow.
Wheels have been ordered and are being built as we speak, got some limited edition dmr v8 pedals in a limited edition colour....go on take a guess! Also got most of drivetrain including these which I picked up today

[Image: 49c10901.jpg]

Shimano saint cranks. About £200 new and I paid 20 because he's snapped one of the pinch bolts. Nothing 5 minutes with a drill won't fix.

With any luck everything will turn up Wednesday and can get it built. Forks are filled with oil and leak tested. Just need pressurising when my air adaptor turns up and jobs a goodun!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Fair enough, if it works for you...

Hahah that's a crazy price! So close to being complete, you bringing her along to ace?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Can't believe Scott hasn't posted in this yet, BMX'ing was his first love before the 306 and he still loves bikes now!
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
He's probably scared of the man-size wheels.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(31-07-2012, 07:08 PM)Poodle Wrote: Fair enough, if it works for you...

Hahah that's a crazy price! So close to being complete, you bringing her along to ace?

Didn't really think about bringing it along but could do I suppose.
Forks are all pumped up now. Didn't have a shock pump so may have used my electric tyre pump! Just keeping an eye on them to make sure I haven't damaged one of the seals when I put them in. So far so good Big Grin
Phoned the local bike shop but the guy building my wheels had gone home for the day so don't know if there ready or not Sad
Getting impatient now!

[Image: ca293220.jpg]
These turned up today. Photos can not show how bright green they are!

[Image: 8ee77a33.jpg]
So almost there!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Is it sad I'm also gettin really excited about this?! Lol

Looks epic mate, rear mech, chan, cassette etc turned up yet?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Got everything except cassette and rear mech. Oh and rear QR but I'm going to try and blag one from cyclopedia when I get my wheels.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I miss cycling - used to do 30+miles a day every day but my knee is knackered now and struggle to do 3 miles Sad
Thanks given by:
Bring it along, any chance of a ride? Always wanted a go on a prince albert.

EDIT: Oh wait...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(02-08-2012, 01:48 PM)Poodle Wrote: Bring it along, any chance of a ride? Always wanted a go on a prince albert.

EDIT: Oh wait...

Might not be ready. Spoke to the wheel Builder today and they sent him the wrong rims. New ones turned up this afternoon so should be done tomorrow but if not will have to collect them Monday Sad
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
At long last it's done Big Grin

[Image: c1855466.jpg]

[Image: d5c038c1.jpg]

Picked the wheels up today. My boo I forgot to specify black spokes which is a bummer but oh well.

Now just got to set it all up. Bars are far to wide so they need chopping down and the forks are far to harsh so need to fiddle with the pressures in them.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Looks rad, can almost see what you mean about the pedals there, cameras doesn't like the reflections lol.

Used to run firexc's, but didn't like how squirmy they can get on hot/wet tarmac...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up Niall 1,660 572,896 22-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Tallguy_2