Rattle under acceleration upto 3k

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rattle under acceleration upto 3k
What is it !!!!! Crank pulley, turbo bearing, or injector someone pleeeeease enlighten me on how to be sure on finding out what it is !
Thanks given by:
I have a rattle too. Mines only when pulling away. It's not there when stationary and revving. Answer would be good, been putting up with it for a year now.
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Yeah mines just under load when accelerating :-( someone told me if it's the crank pulley and it goes then it trashes the cam belt Which is bad news so someone please XD what's most likely ???
Thanks given by:
Well it's not going to be diesel specific the. As mine is an xsi, crank Pully sounds like it might be a good reason. I'll do it when back from FCS lol
Thanks given by:
get a solid one when you change it, much better than the standard ones Smile
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Solid ones are $$$ though
Thanks given by:
true...
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Little birdy tells me a 307 one is a better part to replace it with so I also may aquire one :-)
Thanks given by:
Only up to 3000rpm is the pre-injection. The mapping for it stops almost dead at about 2900rpm iirc.

Just put a load of sound deadening material under the engine cover and wrap it around the injectors a bit. I've never done it but I'm 95% certain that is what you are hearing.

The pulleys also go but you really do hear them all the time. I bought a new OEM one and within 6 months could hear the tell-tale tickety tick at idle parked in the garage!

Dave
Thanks given by:
^^^ This.

Matt, yours might be where your exhaust is hanging a bit.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Mr Whippy Wrote:Only up to 3000rpm is the pre-injection. The mapping for it stops almost dead at about 2900rpm iirc.

Just put a load of sound deadening material under the engine cover and wrap it around the injectors a bit. I've never done it but I'm 95% certain that is what you are hearing.

The pulleys also go but you really do hear them all the time. I bought a new OEM one and within 6 months could hear the tell-tale tickety tick at idle parked in the garage!

Dave

Would cleaning the injectors Help at all or it it something I'll just have to grit and bear cos its fairly loud I can hear it inside the car ??
Thanks given by:
Bosch advise that you don't use injector cleaner with their high-pressure systems. I ignored this and tried some, it certainly didn't help though.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Argh this is bugging me lol :-( I need to know what it is or I'll e spending a fair few quid ficking the wrong thing I thought it was the crank pulley but how can I be sure ?? Also how can I be sure it's the injector if it is infact that, and there's still turbo bearings ?? Is there a way I can check all three to be positive ?
Thanks given by:
It's definitely the injectors rattling if it stops dead at 3k...

When they get older they tend to rattle on preinjection... Get a screwdriver and put it on the injectors and place the handle in your ear, you'll hear the rattle you're on about through the screwdriver. If you're that bothered by it, you can replace the injectors for those from a doner vehicle, but it doesn't cause any damage them rattling...

The crank pulley is fairly obvious, it wobbles if it's failing and it won't be the turbo bearings, that's a police siren noise or a whining whistly noise, followed by blue smoke, LOTS of oil in the inlet... I've not heard of a HDi popping a turbo for a long time though, they don't really tend to fail as standard until very high miles, or through lack of servicing.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Cheers pal hope you fix the actuator was it that fell off ?? I'll have a fiddle during the week it doesn't rattle on tick over so or at a stand still but if u was to put a screwdriver in it I could hear the rattle yeah ?
Thanks given by:
Haven't even tried yet, it's snapped the bracket it's held on with, but oh well... Engines coming out soon anyhu, so might just leave it until then!

Yeah - supposedly it is the needle that rattles round inside, or the actual nozzle that sits in it's holder slightly moving... Doesn't cause damage, just an irritating noise... But yeah, it probably only kicks in under load tbh...

I'm chatting to Scott later, so I'll make sure he gets hold of you!

Was nice to meet you today!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Yeah you too fella, aww shame :-( you just gunna pootle about and get flashed by old ladies lol ?? Same engine going in when you replace it ?
Thanks given by:
My dtub rattled at after 3k? made like a grinding sound too
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
Different engine mate, sounds completely unrelated.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ok I'm pretty sure this was my fault but my engine light has come on cos I was pissing about with the injectors while engine was running
Thanks given by:
Hehe, doh.

Don't do anything with injectors while it's running. At idle there is 300bar going through there! Not ideal.

As per them being noisy. My brother bought his HDi at about 3yrs old and 30k miles and the injectors ticked. It's a characteristic of the engine.

Every 306 HDi I've ever seen, and I must have seen over 100 now easily, has ticked to one degree or another. Some do more, some less, some not much at all, but they all tick enough for a passenger to ask "is your car ticking" hehe Big Grin

Just leave it and if it's something bad it'll fault on it's own. If that happens THEN worry about it otherwise you are throwing money at them for nothing potentially.
If you really can't live with the noise I'm sure you could put dynamat on the underside of the engine cover, or wrap the injectors in something to quieten them down a bit!

Cheers

Dave
Thanks given by:
I'll cope with it I think I'll just toddle around as it only ticks under mild acceleration if I accelerate dead slow ya fine no rattle XD
Thanks given by:
It shouldn't be that loud that you try avoid driving in a way that means it's not audible.

I guess for a new owner it might sound quite odd because it suddenly disappears around 3000rpm and also not really audible at lower engine demands.

I think when I bought mine I was aware of it, but as soon as everyone else said theirs did it I was happy enough.

Cheers

Dave
Thanks given by:
Have you got an engine cover and undertray mate?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Video of it in action? Although it might be hard to hear it.

Is it worse when cold? As it is on mine, guessing its a little advanced when cool.

If its stops at around 3200 RPM is most likely injectors as above.

Your probably ok Wink
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys ive had the car a year and a half and its always done it its just recently got loud enough to be annoying car still drives and pulls fine :-) there is no undertray thanks to a badger and I've taken to engine over off for smoothing and spraying which you're probably right that it's letting abit
More sound out, and yeah dead on 3100/3200rpm so I guess it's the injector also as it is pissing me off and I will probably lose my rag and buy a new injector are they Bosch ones ?? XD cheers for the info peeps much appreciated
Thanks given by:
Yeah you'd be surprised at how much noise those covers insulate from the cabin. A new set of injectors from bosch will set you back a lot, as in four figures a lot.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I fixed mine!!!!!

I bought a new car....... Tongue
Thanks given by:
(22-06-2012, 12:53 PM)Matt Wrote: I fixed mine!!!!!

I bought a new car....... Tongue

Cheater.

The cover will help dissipate the sound around the engine bay which helps.

Many miles? Even on New (£££) or recon injector it will still tick you may as well wait until it smokes like a beast or MPG falls massively before looking at injectors.

Any idea of fuel affects the ticking?
Thanks given by:
(22-06-2012, 04:53 AM)Poodle Wrote: Yeah you'd be surprised at how much noise those covers insulate from the cabin. A new set of injectors from bosch will set you back a lot, as in four figures a lot.

Can I not just change the one rattly injector ?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jingle Jangle rattle noise? tigerstyle 9 2,122 06-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Toms306
  Rattle on lift off? JTaylor2005 9 1,886 01-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  The real cause of injector rattle? JTaylor2005 136 33,526 27-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Paul_13