Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Astor XS XU7J4RS (For Sale £1000)
Some photos as promised;

[Image: DSC01957.jpg]

[Image: DSC01955.jpg]

[Image: DSC01953.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That makes sense, I could have sworn I read this a few days before!

How does it perform now?
Thanks given by:
I thought this would work fine with the GTi head on a XU7 bottom end! This is the best way of doing it IMHO... Though I'm surprised you're using the 1.8 inlet and throttle body still, or is that simply to keep the wanky Sagem management happy?

The best way forwards IMHO would be to use the S16s Motronic MP3.2 ECU, it's not Sequential spark sure (not even sure if it's sequential injection, might be batch), but it's easily remappable, already socketed eprom chips just need swapping for eeproms and Motronic is a well known ECU anyway... It's much better known than the Marelli IAW ECUs at least, there's only a few people in this country who know what they're doing with them... It's the ECU that people are likely to know the best and be able to extract the best performance out of - you'll probably find even that there's a plug and play kit for standalone management if you wanted to, where you could simply plug a standalone ECU into the OEM ECU socket and as long as you've got a base map, you can go from there...

The biggest difference between the J4RS RFS engine in regards to management is the compression ratio - how much that's affected by the cylinder head I don't know, that will affect the spark maps considerably, you'll be needing quite a bit more timing than a J4RS engine would...

Awesome work though, I've been banging on about this conversion for ages - IMHO this is one of the best combinations that could be made...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I can't tell that there is any difference below 3k just driving normally around town, but above 3k it is very willing and free revving. It comes on cam at 4k and then just takes off. It needs a 7250 rpm limit now as it is easy to clip the standard 6250 limit.

The original head and cam setup was not for high rpm and it struggled to even hit the redline it was so strangled.

It proves that the standard management is capable of running this head/block combination without to much fuss as a stopgap until the management is sorted out.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the advice Ruan. It's probably best to get the most well known ecu like you say to ensure that I can easily find someone to remap it.

This is the first time I've touched upon ecu's and engine modifications so I'm open to all suggestions and advice from you guys.

I'm running the standard throttle body and inlet just to keeps things simple until I can gather the necessary parts to progress with it. I use the car often so didn't want to be without wheels for too long. I am surprised it runs at all!

The initial theory was to just get it running to make sure the head I rebuilt was ok. I had visions of it being a tapping catastrophe, in which case I would have put it back to standard.

It was very noisy to start with before the hydraulic tappets filled with oil. I did have a very worried look on my face especially as this head isn't designed to be fitted to this engine. When I fitted the vernier cam pulleys I set them to the central position on both as I assumed this was a neutral setting. I didn't want to bend any valves. Is this right?
Thanks given by:
It should have been timed exactly like a GTi6, I can't exactly remember the process, but you lock off the inner of the verniers, then as you tighten the belt, the actual verniers should line up with the marks to point that it is in time...

If it's running and hasn't bent any, you've done something right!!!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I did make sure that the pins were in place when I tensioned the belt and then turned it over by hand and made sure they lined up again.
I just read up on how to do it the right way and it all makes sense now;

Pin the 3 pulleys.

Slacken the two vernier pulleys and rotate them fully clockwise.

Fit the belt.

Take up the slack with the tensioner (the cam pulleys will move accordingly as the belt tightens) and lock the tensioner in position.

Tighten the cam pulley bolts.

Remove locking pins.

Doing it this way ensures that the timing is spot on because the camshafts are permanently fixed in place. Any movement in the belt when taking up the slack is lost in the rotation of the cam pulleys without interfering with the actual camshafts.

I think I will retime it again using the above method as its possible that my timing could be out by a degree or two.
Thanks given by:
That sounds right mate. assuming you timed it in a anti clockwise direction? so water pump, crank, idler, inlet cam, exhaust then tensioner?

Pretty jealous youve beaten me too this! Im building mine out of the car, banging it in and sending it straight for mapping on some sort of aftermarket management. will also be either turbo'd or bodied (leaning towards boost but its pricier!).

I personally think there is a lot of potential in these 1.8s and im glad someone else clearly thinks the same!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
The best thing about the 1.8 is its weight. I cannot stress how well the car handles with a lighter engine!
The gti6 handles great but the xs is in a different league.

If 150hp can be achieved using standard parts then this would be a very fun car.

I'm desperate to get the RFS inlet on it purely for the noise (the real reason for all this faffing around).

I reckon a supercharger would be good on this engine. Would be easy to do I would have thought if using a lynx kit. Probably cheaper than a turbo setup too.
Thanks given by:
I have a 7250rpm rev limit now Smile
Thanks given by:
nice, just read the full thread and sounds an awesome biuld
Thanks given by:
Thanks mate.

I am running a Gti6 loom, ecu, inlet, injectors and throttle body now and it is running very well indeed.

I've fitted a gti6 top radiator hose. with the oil cooler feed blanked off to make room for the gti6 intake piping and airbox/resonator.

I have a gti6 flywheel clutch and 6 speed gearbox to fit next as the 5speed gearing is way too long with the new rev limit; over 70 in second.
Thanks given by:
Interesting stuff, so is it still the standard '6 map on the Ecu?
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Yes its the standard map. It starts and runs perfectly and pulls very hard over 4000rpm.

A remap would optimize it but it runs very well as it is.

http://s709.photobucket.com/albums/ww99/...V_0198.mp4
Thanks given by:
wow, not gunna lie, I didn't expect it to work so well! does it not run rich at all? interesting to see what sort of power it's running..
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
I would say that it's running a tad rich but there is no black smoke and the plugs are not getting fouled up. it runs perfectly with no hesitation or flat spots at all.
Thanks given by:
Looks great! One of the best colours in them. Enjoy.
Thanks given by:
Wow.. Just read this whole project and genuinely surprised at how well it seems to have gone! Would love to see a video of how quick it is in comparsion, to say a standard 1.8 and then compared to a 6'
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hi folks.
I am selling my beloved XS as I've got another project on the go.

This car is an absolute gem and first to see will buy, I'm sure. Everything is working as it should including the air-con.

I am the second owner and the mileage has just turned 100,000. The previous owner bought it brand new and kept it immaculate and garaged it.

Originally I was looking to buy the best Gti6 I could with original paint, but this proved difficult as all of the ones I viewed had had some sort of bodywork/paintwork repair.

I saw this advertised so went to view the car and went over it with a fine toothcomb. I was very happy with the cars condition and the paintwork is all original. There are a handful of age related marks and stonechips but these are very discreet.

I have made some alterations to the car but are very subtle. These include an interior swap for a Gti6 half leather/half alcantara Phase 3 interior which came from a low mileage car which is in very good condition with no burns or tears. The drivers seat is in remarkable condition considering how many get worn out or torn. There is some wear on the very edge of the black leather where it has been rubbed. This however is very minimal. The Alcantara on the drivers seat is slightly bobbled on the base but again this is minor.
I have also fitted rallye fog light blanks in the front bumper and a new Gti6 black splitter. I also replaced the chrome XS badges for new red ones as it adds a bit of colour. They are fitted in the correct position on the front doors and one on the rear.

The engine has also been altered. It uses the original xu7jp4 block, liners, pistons and crank coupled with an xu10j4rs gti6 cylinder head, camshafts, inlet manifold, throttle body, injectors, coils, engine loom, ecu, stainless exhaust manifold, catalytic converter, mid pipe and backbox. A Gti6 resonated airbox is used and the top radiator hose has been changed for a Gti6 item to accommodate this. The vacuum pump has been correctly plumbed in to serve the brake servo. Engine oil used is Total fully synthetic 10w40 best performances used with a genuine Peugeot filter.

The engine still displaces 1761 cc which is classed as a 1.8.

This engine block/head combination makes for a very dynamic drive. Due to the light weight of the engine itself the weight distribution is more balanced than the gti6 and handles better with sharper turn in and more precision. It should be noted that the phase 3 XS was fitted with the sports suspension setup from the factory. The suspension is identical to that of the Gti6 bar the front coil springs as they are weighted differently because of the lighter drivetrain.

New wishbones were fitted when i first got the car as the original P bushes were worn. These were genuine items at a massive cost. The reason being that I don't particularly trust aftermarket components especially rubber bushings. Both front anti-roll bar drop links were replaced at the same time.

To look at the car, everything would appear to be original and standard as all parts are genuine Peugeot items and are a direct fit.

All work has been carried out by myself to the highest standard with no expense spared. All components used during the engine build were Peugeot items including the head gasket, cam seals, inlet and exhaust gaskets and the swivel olive gasket between the exhaust manifold and cat. Both exhaust clamps are genuine items also.

I fitted a new clutch only 3000 miles miles ago as the original was quite heavy due to age. It is now very light indeed. Genuine Peugeot Esso 75w80 gear oil was used when the gearbox was refitted. A new PTFE coated gearbox drainplug and copper washer was installed also.

The car still has the standard XS 5speed gearbox which has quite a high gear ratio. With the higher rpm limit of the new ecu the car will reach 70mph in second gear and 95mph in third. Fifth gear allows the engine to sit comfortably at 3000rpm at motorway speed.

The car has a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 tires fitted which are a very light, quiet tire which have excellent wet grip and water clearing capabilities. these are fitted to a set of 15" cyclones repainted in Peugeot graphite grey.

Overall this is a fantastic car which has been meticulously looked after and maintained, presented in what most people consider to be the best colour offered. Astor grey has a very coarse metallic in it which sparkles in the sunlight. It also changes colour in different lights. Sometimes it has a blue/purple hue to it.

The car is a non-sunroof model with working air conditioning, electric front windows and remote central locking.

It is insurance group 6.

The asking price is £1,500.

My number is 0787 54 69 099. Ask for Dan.
Thanks given by:
As lovely as this car is, your well over price on this mate.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I'm inclined to disagree, this is a fantastic example of a 306, i think it's a pretty good deal for what you get. To be perfectly honest i would pay the man now, if only i had the money. Sad
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(12-01-2013, 04:34 PM)Niall Wrote: As lovely as this car is, your well over price on this mate.

I understand that this price is above average but the car's condition does reflect this. That being said, I will consider sensible offers.
Thanks given by:
you still got the 2 door sedan Smile
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
No mate, I sold it to someone in Ireland.
Thanks given by:
awwww Sad. will probs be on bump stops now. was a nice car that
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Thanks mate, yeah it was an awesome car. The new owner has had it lowered and is on 16" 406 v6 coupe alloys.
Thanks given by:
Price updated.
Thanks given by:
Nice little car this. I think the mileage might put people off but I know it shouldn't.

One possible weak point on these (from a handful of people who have fitted the GTi6 manifolds) is the piston rings.

Does the car burn any oil at all?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(16-01-2013, 09:23 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: Nice little car this. I think the mileage might put people off but I know it shouldn't.

One possible weak point on these (from a handful of people who have fitted the GTi6 manifolds) is the piston rings.

Does the car burn any oil at all?

I wanted one with low miles initially but was blown away with the condition of this one. I didn't let the mileage put me off as you can easily see that the car has had an easy life.
It doesn't burn any oil at all.
Thanks given by:
Sorry to add to the mix but didn't Srowell dyno 126bhp with his 1.8 on gti inlet?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by: