207 hdi sport - smokey on startup

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
207 hdi sport - smokey on startup
Long time no speak! 

I've fallen into the drivers seat of a Peugeot... Been a while! 

It's a 207 1.6 hdi sport and has a few white puffs on startup, and stinks of derv. It clears once its running, just wondering what causes it. 

Any help would be great!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Does the engine sound as if it has a weak compression on cranking ?? and are the cylinder heater plugs all working?
Thanks given by:
Glow plugs most likely.
Thanks given by:
I don't think glow plugs even kick in until a really low tempearature - I have no glow plug light come on
Thanks given by:
Glow plugs do kick in at pretty much every start on the 1.6 HDi.

The dash light is not linked directly to them, it is purely timed (so the light comes on for 0.5 seconds with an ambient temp of 0c, and 0.2 seconds at 2c for example).

If you've got live diagnostics, you can watch the plugs cycle on & off for a few minutes after cold start. It's done for emissions, as common rail engines don't 'need' plugs to start, but it helps with a more complete combustion for less smoke/particulates/CO.

If its a DPF model, glowplugs are used during regen which is why they burn out more quickly than on older cars. Had to replace mine at around 60k on the DV6.
Thanks given by:
Injector seals.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(26-01-2019, 09:13 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Glow plugs do kick in at pretty much every start on the 1.6 HDi.  

The dash light is not linked directly to them, it is purely timed (so the light comes on for 0.5 seconds with an ambient temp of 0c, and 0.2 seconds at 2c for example).

If you've got live diagnostics, you can watch the plugs cycle on & off for a few minutes after cold start.  It's done for emissions, as common rail engines don't 'need' plugs to start, but it helps with a more complete combustion for less smoke/particulates/CO.

If its a DPF model, glowplugs are used during regen which is why they burn out more quickly than on older cars.  Had to replace mine at around 60k on the DV6.

Is there a relay or fuse which could stop them kicking in. 

Also, it only puffs smoke on the cranking phase and for about the first 2 seconds.

(26-01-2019, 10:20 PM)Poodle Wrote: Injector seals.

Cooper seals that seat in the block?

Are these particularly hard to change?
Thanks given by:
There is a relay for the glowplugs yes, no idea which one it'll be on the 207 though.

Injector seals are easy to check, look for carbon depsoits around the base of the injector and listen for a chuffing noise. They're usually noticeable throughout the drive though, rather than just startup.
Thanks given by:
Ah I think I've misunderstood the op, sorry. Thought he meant it stinks of derv whilst driving.

Edit: Injector seals can be really easy or can be an absolute sod, I've yet to have a problem with any in a 1.6hdi. Be sure to clean the seats, or re-cut if necessary, you can pick up the tool on ebay for a few quid.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Super Smokey JTaylor2005 18 4,400 20-05-2018, 08:35 AM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Heavy smoke on startup... causes? BiG K 11 2,222 10-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Unusual startup issue Pug305 10 2,495 15-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Pug305