Unusual startup issue

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unusual startup issue
A friend left a Hdi 306 round with me to have a look at, it starts up and runs ok, but if the car is turned off it wont restart for about 5 minuites, after waiting it usually starts up ok.
I had a spare Dw10 engine out of a 406 hdi 90 that i know is good, and swapped over most of the sensors to no avail, the pp2000 was showing the following codes before i started:
[Image: 00D95633-2D60-4B6C-BA68-828832B903A8_zpsccdv64cu.jpg]
[Image: D4A26DCD-2A13-4E27-AEBC-58A9887F8BC1_zps08kiw02v.jpg]

The car had subtle signs that a butcher worked on the wiring, the wiring is not in great shape behind the ECU, there was broken insulation and some ropey connections but i fixed that up and tidied it up, there is a wire running from the fusebox directly to the in tank pump:
[Image: 905E1017-DAA5-4254-9554-13C6179E1734_zpsxgfg4zor.jpg]
which shouldnt really be there, and there is a relay in the engine fuse box clicking when the ignition on.

Any ideas of what this could be?
Thanks given by:
When you get this starting issue can you hear the lift pump running?
Thanks given by:
yes the lift pump still works, but its wired in with a spade connector thats pushed into one of the empty fuse slots, so it comes on with the ignition
Thanks given by:
Are these the faults codes that come up after you've cleared them or are these the ones that were on the car when you first plugged in?
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a wiring fault tbh... I hate people bodging wiring lol.
Thanks given by:
Yep, make things default to fault find at a later date like this.

Best place to start would be to fix the original issue with the lift pump and start from there.
Thanks given by:
im not sure what to do with the lift pump one of the wires has a positive wired into it from the fuse box, ordinarially where would the positive have come from and why would it have been wired this way?

As for the codes they were what i got initially, i cleared some but forgot to read them again. Im wondering could it be the immobiliser, in which case can it be bypassed?
Thanks given by:
From the pump the cable goes to a plug under the glove box the to the fuse box them through the plug under the wiper. From the its the brown relay. It's probably that that is faulty.
Thanks given by:
There is a brown box in the engine bay, has a number of wires going into the bottom of it in the form of one of them connectors that you slide the red part out and the plug lifts off is that the relay box?
Thanks given by:
Yep that's the one, behind the ECU.
Thanks given by:
This brown box here?
[Image: DSC07198_zpsdf96b405.jpg]
[Image: DSC07199_zpsfd14c8b1.jpg]

Everything you see behind the ecu was not securely fastened in place, the black box which is now bolted to the bulkead was just danging down on the subframe and my friend said that the car produced sparks when he tried to move it, the insulation was ruined on the wires and i had to sort that issue out.

My friend has mentioned that someone said lowered 306es can damage wiring in the drivers side wheelarch, i had a look and couldnt see any damaged wiring, is there any other obvious cause of this non starting issue.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  207 hdi sport - smokey on startup ginge191 8 3,223 28-01-2019, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Heavy smoke on startup... causes? BiG K 11 2,242 10-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Last Post: Poodle