Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phase 1 XSi 2.0 8v to RFS engine swap
Inbetween update on current status: This Thursday the car will be up for the Dutch equivalent of MOT. Therefore, I did some test runs... Brakes needed to be de-rusted by braking a lot and I needed to check how the engine was performing.

First run went wel, but a bit more brake bleeding was needed. Second run the car was braking better, but I had the impression it was not 100% yet (or am I spoiled with the company car). What was more of a concern was that the car started shaking when slowing down on the engine... Sounded and felt like driveshaft issue. But driveshafts are new! Back home I did the standar driveshaft check: F***! Wheels woble. First thought: driveshafts worn... But then I noticed that the wheels fitted with spacers we not tight to the hub! The bolts of the spacers were loose!
Guess I did not tighten them properly... very strange.

In the evening a friend came over who owns a lot of 306's GTi and a Parter with RFS engine. We checked the car and now all seems fine.

The "Blue Beast" post test run one:
[Image: 360.jpg]

Mud everywhere even on top of the BMC CDA:

Put on miniramps for additional brake bleeding:

Back to the time line:

Removed complete front for easy swap:

Car on transporter to go to the other side of the country for the engine swap:

Unfortunately I have no pictures of the swap Sad Sad Sad We were to busy.

But when the car returned back home I had to replace the radiator and as at that point I did not yet have a phase 1 airbox, fit a BMC CDA:

Then the car stood a while as other priorities took over and a phase 1 convertible arrived that took way more time than anticipated...

When that one was almost done, I started to put the interior back in:
(sorry for bad quality)
(sorry for bad quality)

As I will delete the aircon at a later stage I had to adjust the center console...

Looks like original now I sanded the edges.

Mold. Mold everywhere Sad

After good clean:

Carpet the same:

Notice the weathered knob... have some replacements already.

Putting the car back on wheels:

These are 18" Ford fitment wheels... Extremely heavy and therefore only for storing the car. Wheels are gone now.

And then the moment that was a milestone to me: car back on drive way... Sounded like a dragracer as it did not yet have cat and exhaust fitted :p

Morette fitting:

I also bought Sigma Blue ones... From the 5 sets I have I hope I can make one or two decent ones. One for this car and one for the S16.

Back up in the air to finalize the last bits like new radiator hose and brakes:

Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Phase 1 XSi 2.0 8v to RFS engine swap - by Joep83 - 05-01-2019, 03:26 PM
RE: Phase 1 XSi 2.0 8v to RFS engine swap - by Joep83 - 06-02-2019, 09:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 estate engine swap Spoonaltap 44 10,525 01-11-2022, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Spoonaltap