LPG Fumigation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LPG Fumigation
Anyone heard of it? I stumbled across a wiki page yesterday and began reading.

The way I understand it is that the injection of LPG (usually propane) into the air intake will help to ensure that all of the diesel in the cylinder burns. This creates better economy, better emissions and more powarrr!! As the engine draws in the air/lpg mixture it enters the compression stroke, this compresses the mixture to just below the propane flashpoint temperature. As the piston returns up the fuel is injected, the fuel ignites instantly which also ignites the propane/air mix for the power stroke.
On a well set up diesel engine the efficiency is supposed to be around 75% (according to google), with the propane injection this goes up to 90%.

Sound good or just another nitrous.

Discuss
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a lot of ball ache to me!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
sounds good if u could get it working right, the main downside would have to be cruising around with an explosive gas tank in the car. other than that it does sound similar to nitrous, im assuming that the propane wouldnt auto ignite?
Thanks given by:
Propane pre-ignites at 470 degrees.. I doubt that would be suitable for even a stock XUD engine, let alone a tuned one running higher boost?

Maybe it would work on a direct injection set up with a shorter burn time?
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
yes ive read about it and have also played with HHO fumigation too look up browns gas
i built my own HHO generator and had it running in the car for a while
Thanks given by:
d-jimbo Wrote:sounds good if u could get it working right, the main downside would have to be cruising around with an explosive gas tank in the car. other than that it does sound similar to nitrous, im assuming that the propane wouldnt auto ignite?

Isn't that what you do with a petrol tank lol! And petrol is a lot more volatile than propane.

I don't know at all if it would be suitable for the XUD apparently due to the fact that IDI engines use a swirl pot pre ignition the flame front would ignite the propane too early so wouldn't be as effective.

Just found this: http://www.mrsharkey.com/lpg.htm

Still might be worth a pikey knock up, I was thinking using a pressure switch that opened up the lpg tank at 10 psi (boost) and closed again off throttle. Its just a case of making sure you don't use too much!!!
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I looked into this ages ago and from what i remember i decided that the amount you could inject would be so tiny that it would have very little effect especially if you were running big boost and/or lots of fuel
Thanks given by:
Remember most of the problem people have is getting air into the engine, Propane needs air to burn, it's just another fuel... That's why Nitrous makes a huge difference - it's an oxygen source and Methanol simply cools down the charge if you've got no oxygen left to burn the charge with.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
so is anyone actually running nitrous on an xud? or water/meth for that matter?
Thanks given by:
d-jimbo Wrote:so is anyone actually running nitrous on an xud? or water/meth for that matter?

there are a few people running water meth on here Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
d-jimbo Wrote:so is anyone actually running nitrous on an xud? or water/meth for that matter?

my friend has a nitros system that he was going to stick on his mk3 golf before it blew up! So its just laying around now....might be worth having a look!

ah he sold it a couple of weeks ago.

how would it work with the extra fuel needed for when the gas was injected?
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
You don't need to compensate it, it's a diesel...

The best way to use Nitrous on a diesel is as an antilag system with a chronic turbo...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
so any good results with the water/meth then?

if using nitrous, surely there would be less need for a chronic turbo? or would the combustion temps get too high to be using that as an 'all over' power enhancer?
Thanks given by:
If you were to use nitrous to spin a hoofing great turbo, where would the nozzle go and when/how often would you squirt it?
Thanks given by:
u still trying to find a way to make that holset work on a d turd?
Thanks given by:
Lol! Debating it again now that using nitrous to spool it has been mentioned! Needs a rebuild though as the compressor wheel has damaged blades. So, how big a shot and where to inject it?
Thanks given by:
get a nice tight seal between the nozzle and the sphincter, i recommend some instant gasket and a mikalor clamp. then give a massive squirt every time u think of putting that ridiculous turbo on, until the thought goes away. problem solved!
Thanks given by:
d-jimbo Wrote:get a nice tight seal between the nozzle and the sphincter, i recommend some instant gasket and a mikalor clamp. then give a massive squirt every time u think of putting that ridiculous turbo on, until the thought goes away. problem solved!

giggedy
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
If its that thing you posted up a while ago, you won't spool it, you could be farting nitrous and gas but try as you might, the airflow through an xud9 just isn't going to happen...
Thanks given by:
d-jimbo Wrote:get a nice tight seal between the nozzle and the sphincter, i recommend some instant gasket and a mikalor clamp. then give a massive squirt every time u think of putting that ridiculous turbo on, until the thought goes away. problem solved!

Here's a thought, piss off you f*cktard. Good, problem solved.

My (perfectly reasonable) original question about when, where and how much nitrous should be injected in order to spool a really big turbo still stands.
Thanks given by:
lmao

Orite man, chill out. i was only joking, just couldn't help myself.

seriously though, if u need some help getting it attached....
Thanks given by:
If it's that one you posted a while back..

I promise you, it's not going to happen.
Thanks given by:
Gah, why can't people answer the question! All I was asking was opinions on how to use nitrous to spool a big turbo as suggested! I didn't have any particular one in mind but using nitrous to help spool it may allow a wider range of turbos than I was originally considering.
Thanks given by:
That's a silly question and very vague at that... If you just want to reduce lag, fair enough, but you don't seem to realise the difference between lag and boost threshold...

Yes you can use LPG to help spool bigger turbos, of course, but in all honesty, if you need a turbo big enough to need LPG to spool it, then either A. You can get a more efficient, modern turbo. or B. If it's modern enough, then your cylinder head will never flow enough without SIGNIFICANT modification...
Thanks given by: