Anyone used Vtec?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone used Vtec?
So I've always been quite a conservative driver, my petrol cars have never gone over 6k rpm and rarely seen 5. But the idea of people going over 8k and getting that sound does seem kinda cool. Just wondered if anyone had driven many cars up to that kind of limit and if it sounded nice or just crap lol
Now I'm driving diesels I doubt il go over 5k again lol
1st project- Red Peugeot 306 DTurbo 1998
2nd project- Silver BMW E38 1999- Sold
Daily- Black Mitsubishi L200 Series 5

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/user/Hobo_Ash.html
Thanks given by:
Yep, novel for about the first 5 minutes until you realise that attempting to keep with traffic ends up with you having to drop 3 gears every time to have the engine actually generate some power, make a huge amount of noise and everyone looks at you like you're a total penis.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I toured around Europe on a VFR800, it did sound awesome when you cracked open the throttle and the Vtec kicks in Yo

but as technology goes it doesn't really add anything more...
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2017, 08:47 AM)Ruan Wrote: make a huge amount of noise and everyone looks at you like you're a total penis.

Haha lol I guess it would be a pain with the gear changes, at some point il maybe get a cheaper car with it to drive for a few months and then get rid of it. Out of interest Ruan what car was it you drove?

Cool having it on a bike! Hadnt thought of that Big Grin

Thanks given by:
Rallye hits 7k+ every gear shift. I thought thats how you werent meant to do it?
Thanks given by:
cant comment on vtec but mivec is brilliant especially with a turbo strapped to the side.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
As above Vtec on a performance Honda is a 5 minute thing, OK I guess for weekend drives but day to day no.
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
1.8 Civic! Only get near the top end of the rev range going through the severn bridge tolls. Fun but car does what I need to without bouncing off the rev limiter any other time I drive it.
Thanks given by:
Had a go in a prelude a few times. Fun car to be fair. But as ruan said i suspect it would get boring very quickly. Only so many places you can spank it without looking like a bell end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
The plus side of living in Essex is most people look like a bell end anyway lol

(27-09-2017, 12:07 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Rallye hits 7k+ every gear shift. I thought thats how you werent meant to do it?

look forward to the Rallye running properly to hear that in action next year ThumbsUp

Thanks given by:
DC2 Integra Type-R B18C5 - cracking engine when you're up it, just annoying everywhere else.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ived owned two D series Honda civics and can say that taking a car that high up is ive also drove a friends K20 type r civic which i can say when you hit it you do feel the cross over and the sound and pull with the exhaust is amazing.
Check Out My Build Threads // Puglet Build 
Thanks given by:
The whole point of VTEC is when you're not above the switchover point it has a normal road cam so pushes out just as much torque low down as any other comparable engine. All this talk of them being shit around town is just internet bollocks.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2017, 12:07 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Rallye hits 7k+ every gear shift. I thought thats how you werent meant to do it?

Agreed, this was how I drove my rallye and my 6. The 6 could actually out accelerate the rev counter in 1st gear, you'd be on the limiter before the needle had reached 7k
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Vtec yo!! Bassman85 24 5,639 19-03-2015, 10:01 AM
Last Post: silverzx
  106 GTI 2.2 VTEC Wide Body RWD eBay MY95 36 12,023 12-01-2015, 01:26 AM
Last Post: mspdan
  Civic vtec b16 blahblah and what not Tom 34 8,494 14-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Last Post: lewisdmz