Ben's rallye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ben's rallye
Hi all, 

I bought Atterz old rallye last September. Until a couple of weeks ago its just been sat on the drive, but now I've started on it I thought I'd start a thread incase anyones interested. I've bought it to use as a track car, but it'll be road legal so I can use it a bit in dry weather and I won't have to store a trailer.

[Image: IMAG00822_zpsovwanouy.jpg] 

I've booked it onto an airfield trackday (RAF Marham) on the 22nd, so I started working on it a couple of weeks ago to try and get it ready. I've changed the injector seals which has sorted out the rough running, changed all fluids, cambelt kit, waterpump, aux belt, filters, thermostat. HID kit removed as both headlight fuses were blown so back to standard bulbs.

[Image: IMAG01941_zpswqzgeky1.jpg]

Needed a new battery so thought I may as well spend a bit more and save some weight.

[Image: IMAG02001_zpskqi4tvje.jpg]

I replaced a rear caliper with a spare due to snapping a bleed nipple and also had to replace the brake line as it wouldn't come out of the caliper. Also replaced the hub on this side. 

[Image: IMAG01791_zpsuzkxkmye.jpg]

MOT is booked for tuesday and it should be ready. I have a poor fitting exhaust that I can't seal up, a dodgy oil temp gauge, a radiator fan to check, and a couple of other little bits. Should be ok as long as any parts I need are in stock at ECP. 

I've got quite a lot of parts to choose from as I kept most of the good bits that I had on my dturbo, so I've got a few different sizes of torsion bars and arbs, 2 sets of Avo's, 3 sets of wheels, solid beam mounts etc etc. Plan is to get it on the road and then decide on what to keep and sell the rest. 

Long term plan is to build a garage this summer, strip the car down in winter and deal with the rusty bits, have a cage welded in and sort the suspension out well. After that I'll look at a power increase. I like the idea of changing the engine for something more modern such as the new thp engines, but haven't looked into it any further than searching for 2nd hand ones, so don't really know if its do-able without major cost. 

Ben
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thats a tidy base for a track car, should be much fun. Will watch with interest.

Need to get mine on track again tbh.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Nice one on keeping the track theme Smile

How much was the rear hub and where from? i need to buy two for mine but wanting a bargain lol
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Nice to see this one still floating around
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2017, 06:20 PM)C2K Wrote: Thats a tidy base for a track car, should be much fun. Will watch with interest.

Need to get mine on track again tbh.

Cheers, it's pretty tidy yeah although it has come out quite well in that photo! Got a few rusty bits to see to.

(19-04-2017, 02:35 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Nice one on keeping the track theme Smile

How much was the rear hub and where from? i need to buy two for mine but wanting a bargain lol

I got the hub from Busseys peugeot, the options were either genuine for 130 or a 'Euro repar' one for 80. I went for the cheaper one as the guy said it was often a genuine one that came in the box, and it was an skf one so pretty chuffed with that.

(19-04-2017, 03:36 PM)mr_fish Wrote: Nice to see this one still floating around

Cheers mate

Passed it's mot on Tuesday and I've done around 100 miles in it since. Drives quite well but there's room for improvement, steering is a bit notchy, clutch pedals overly heavy and it seems to over rev a little. The throttle body spins back to its stop as it should so it's not that or the cable sticking, any ideas as to why it would continue revving for a couple hundred rpm after throttles let up?
Thanks given by:
Had a great time on track last weekend, was so good on Saturday at the end of the day I booked myself onto the Sunday and went again. It was a very even match for the Mini cooper s and the clio 172 that I went with, and I was so impressed with how it cornered, with a lot of 3 wheeled action! Before the weekend I had removed the strip of metal from under the rear seats as it was vibrating, fitted an extinguisher into the glovebox and fitted an extra fan to the radiator as for some reason I only had one.

Extinguisher. Bracket held in with screws stolen from the upper glovebox!
[Image: IMAG02121_zpsmhzxfi8i.jpg]

Only switch I could find to wire up my temporary extra fan.
[Image: IMAG02201_zpsw9xystzr.jpg]

Demoted the daily to the garden for the weekend so the pug could get on and off the drive easily.
[Image: IMAG02181_zpsistbekiy.jpg]

Used a brand new set of brembo pads on Saturday, so won't be buying them again. Swapped to an old set of mintex's for the Sunday which lasted a lot better but did smoke a lot and seemed to eat away at the discs. EBC yellowstuff pads are on the list to buy.
Oil temperature stayed mostly at 110, didn't go over 120 so not too bad, but I think I'll add a cooler to keep it a bit lower.
Car developed an erratic idle on Saturday and was hesitant to drive due to a dodgy ICV. Blocked off the inlet to it and set the idle on the throttle body and it ran very well after that. I'm now wondering why it can't be left like this? Rather than spending 70 quid on a new ICV..
Thanks given by:
I would highly recommend ferodo ds2500 pads. They're amazing and I've even bought some for my daily.

I'm fairly sure the rallyes only have a single fan despite it being a two fan shroud.. that's how mine was anyway.
Thanks given by:
I'll have a look at them as well then, I've noticed them recommended a lot on forums. Quite a few mates have recommended the yellowstuffs though, and Dan had them in his rx8 for 3 years so they must last well.

That's interesting about the radiator fans, I assumed they would be the same as the gti. The single fan is capable of bringing the temperature down slowly, so maybe I should leave it then. Might just look into making it come on sooner, at the moment it's just coming on at 107c and turning off again at 105c.
Thanks given by:
The point of the ICV was to adjust idle with different loads on at idle, like the alternator load or power steering.

I guess it's not really required on a track car?
Thanks given by:
i currently run two slimline fans in my rallye so... if youve got slimline ones to go in then i guess thats some weight saving and more room for an oil cooler!
Thanks given by:
I am running an oil cooler with a std twin fan set up

the twin fans were for cars with Air con Wink

min used to suffer with eratic Idle i disconnected the PAS pressure switch which cured the erratic idle Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
dont forget that this car is far from original Big Grin
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(28-04-2017, 10:49 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: The point of the ICV was to adjust idle with different loads on at idle, like the alternator load or power steering.

I guess it's not really required on a track car?

This is what I'm thinking, I can't see any reason why it would matter if the idle went up and down by a few revs. Only problem might be that I might have to leave the old ICV plugged in to keep ECU happy?

(28-04-2017, 11:03 PM)Eeyore Wrote: i currently run two slimline fans in my rallye so... if youve got slimline ones to go in then i guess thats some weight saving and more room for an oil cooler!

I do have a few slimline ones which would save some weight and space yes, but they seem pretty poor at blowing air compared to the standard fan, so I'm most likely to keep that I think.

(29-04-2017, 06:37 AM)cully Wrote: I am running an oil cooler with a std twin fan set up

the twin fans were for cars with Air con Wink

min used to suffer with eratic Idle  i disconnected the PAS pressure switch which cured the erratic idle Wink

Ahh that makes sense about the twin fans, thanks for that. My idle problem was definately the ICV but I'll keep the PAS switch in mind for future problems!

(29-04-2017, 08:20 AM)welshpug Wrote: dont forget that this car is far from original Big Grin

Haha I know but as far as I can tell so far its had all the right parts used!
Thanks given by:
the throttle stop screw should have an anti tamper screw on it.

it should stall if you unplug the ICV.

sounds like the low speed setting or the resistor for the cooling fan isnt working.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Great to see this car staying around and back in action.

If you are after some yellow stuff pads i got some like new ones that came with some calipers i bought and i dont think i will ever use them. Let me know if your interested and ill sort out some pics for you.
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2017, 11:31 AM)welshpug Wrote: the throttle stop screw should have an anti tamper screw on it.

it should stall if you unplug the ICV.

sounds like the low speed setting or the resistor for the cooling fan isnt working.

Yeah it did have some anti tamper clips on it. I took those off to try and move the screw but couldn't budge it because it had been damaged previously. So had to set the idle by tensioning the cable. I was planning on drilling out the screw and using another to set the idle. Can't see the point in spending £70 on a new ICV..

I'll have a look into the low speed fan setting. Can get spare bits of the dt my uncles scrapping if needed.

(29-04-2017, 12:41 PM)Frosty Wrote: Great to see this car staying around and back in action.

If you are after some yellow stuff pads i got some like new ones that came with some calipers i bought and i dont think i will ever use them. Let me know if your interested and ill sort out some pics for you.

Yeah I'm interested, have you got a full set or just fronts? Cheers

(29-04-2017, 12:41 PM)Frosty Wrote: Great to see this car staying around and back in action.

Yeah I'm interested, have you got a full set or just fronts? Cheers
Thanks given by:
just buy the icv, anything else is a bodge.
Thanks given by:
£40 here.
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/vdo/1737292?gr...AqT48P8HAQ

I bought mine for £35 but I can't remember where now.
Thanks given by:
Definitely just buy an ICV dude.
Thanks given by:
I usually hate bodging so I see where your coming from, just struggle to see the benefit I'll get for my 70 quid, it's only a track car after all. As for the 40 quid one I've read many people saying non magnetti marelli ones fail quickly so if I get one it'll be genuine.
Thanks given by:
1 itll idle properly.

2  it wont stall when you dip the clutch coming to a standstill or manouvering.

3  part throttle mixtures will be correct.

you either risk running lean which will make it hot, or rich which will kill the rings and eventually the bottom end.
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2017, 08:05 PM)Ben Wrote: I usually hate bodging so I see where your coming from, just struggle to see the benefit I'll get for my 70 quid, it's only a track car after all. As for the 40 quid one I've read many people saying non magnetti marelli ones fail quickly so if I get one it'll be genuine.

Genuine magnetti marelli now say VDO on them to.
[Image: IMG_20170416_161506_zpsggdxkbno.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2017, 08:26 PM)welshpug Wrote: 1 itll idle properly.

2  it wont stall when you dip the clutch coming to a standstill or manouvering.

3  part throttle mixtures will be correct.

you either risk running lean which will make it hot, or rich which will kill the rings and eventually the bottom end.

1 and 2 seem to have been fine, but I'd not considered 3, so that may be the decider, don't want it running lean or rich all the time. I thought the icv was just for idle, does it constantly make small adjustments? Cheers

OK cheers I'll look out for them as well. Think they must have ended a sale on that site as they're back up to 106 now Sad
Thanks given by:
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/idle...83-2-0-s16

That's where I got mine from. 2 year warranty as well.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for that your a star, I didn't find that page for some reason. Got it for £44 posted.
Thanks given by: