RetroPug's Man Cave

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RetroPug's Man Cave
I have very recently taken possession of this:

[Image: dmacm0.jpg]

It has power, decent lighting and a pit which is a great start.

My plans are to give it a good sweeping out, paint the walls white, get rid of the desk and probably also the wooden workbench at the rear as it is incredibly flimsy.

I'd like to have a work bench in the same corner, just more sturdy, probably metal. That would then eventually have a vice and the welder underneath it and be a general fabrication/hitting things with a hammer until they work again area.

It does have a couple of assorted shelves in various conditions but I'd like to come up with increased and better storage for the walls, possibly tools on hooks, plastic bins for small parts, more shelving etc.

I'd also quite like to paint the floor. Does anyone have any recommendations for this?

I'd also welcome any other suggestions people have for making it a good work space.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Looks like a good space. Is it next to your house? Lighting would be a big thing for me.
Thanks given by:
White walls and a grey floor would be my shout, proper garage floor paint does a really good job if you get the prep right.

If you have tools start by putting on some decent security. One way tint on the windows and possibly a guard of some sort over it, Even if you get some 10mm bar, bend the ends and 90* and then run a die over the ends and drill the wall to take the home made bars, makes the window look 10x more secure. A decent door defender will help too.

You can get decent workbenches from ebay and gumtree. Look for ones that used to belong to schools as they tend to be incredibly sturdy.
Thanks given by:
(27-12-2016, 08:16 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Looks like a good space. Is it next to your house? Lighting would be a big thing for me.

It's to the rear of the house, but yes it is at what will now be home so very convenient. It has 6 flourescant lights on the ceiling so the lighting is reasonably good. Perhaps once I start using it I will want more. It could possibly do with lighting in the pit.

(27-12-2016, 08:45 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: White walls and a grey floor would be my shout, proper garage floor paint does a really good job if you get the prep right.

If you have tools start by putting on some decent security. One way tint on the windows and possibly a guard of some sort over it, Even if you get some 10mm bar, bend the ends and 90* and then run a die over the ends and drill the wall to take the home made bars, makes the window look 10x more secure. A decent door defender will help too.

You can get decent workbenches from ebay and gumtree. Look for ones that used to belong to schools as they tend to be incredibly sturdy.

Yes that was my idea for a colour scheme, I'm wondering what paint to use though, every brand seems to have good and bad stories, particularly if heavily used or driven onto with cars.

I have seen a lot of great workshop stuff on gumtree and ebay like you suggested, often if it is heavy people just want rid. I think I'll just keep browsing and see what I can pick up once I've cleaned it out and painted it.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2016, 08:25 AM)RetroPug Wrote: I'm wondering what paint to use though, every brand seems to have good and bad stories.

I have seen a lot of great workshop stuff on gumtree and ebay like you suggested, often if it is heavy people just want rid. I think I'll just keep browsing and see what I can pick up once I've cleaned it out and painted it.

I couldn't tell you what brand, think the stuff in my parents garage is B&Q own brand and lasted a decade.

If you need a hand picking stuff up, especially if it's over this way then let me know seen as I've got the pickup.
Thanks given by:
One suggestion from me. Replace the fluorescent tubes with LED fittings. May cost a bit to start with but the energy bills will be a lot cheaper and you'd be shocked at the improvement in lighting in there.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2016, 10:07 AM)Niall Wrote: One suggestion from me. Replace the fluorescent tubes with LED fittings. May cost a bit to start with but the energy bills will be a lot cheaper and you'd be shocked at the improvement in lighting in there.
Totally agree. Led lighting is the way forward. Even the handheld inspection lights are great.

Is there power to the pit? If it's easy plug point down there might be handy. Or if not possible, I'd suggest ensuring you're sorted for power points around the garage.

Another man cave thing would be internet access via either wired Ethernet cable or if not possible a wireless access point/extender. Handy to bring up web pages or how to you tube videos while working on the car. Saying that.... You're far more capable than me!!

Best of Luke. Great work space.
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2016, 09:55 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I couldn't tell you what brand, think the stuff in my parents garage is B&Q own brand and lasted a decade.

If you need a hand picking stuff up, especially if it's over this way then let me know seen as I've got the pickup.

That's the thing, about half of the generic branded users say it peels and flakes almost immediately, and about half say it has lasted great. Might just thoroughly clean it and use a generic brand and see how it goes, worst case it will have to be re-done but even if it is a bit peely it will be so much better than outdoors and I won't have invested too much in the paint.

Thanks for the offer, that's very kind.

(28-12-2016, 11:37 AM)MisterGTR Wrote:
(28-12-2016, 10:07 AM)Niall Wrote: One suggestion from me. Replace the fluorescent tubes with LED fittings. May cost a bit to start with but the energy bills will be a lot cheaper and you'd be shocked at the improvement in lighting in there.

Totally agree. Led lighting is the way forward. Even the handheld inspection lights are great.

Is there power to the pit? If it's easy plug point down there might be handy. Or if not possible, I'd suggest ensuring you're sorted for power points around the garage.

Another man cave thing would be internet access via either wired Ethernet cable or if not possible a wireless access point/extender. Handy to bring up web pages or how to you tube videos while working on the car. Saying that.... You're far more capable than me!!

Best of Luke. Great work space.

Good suggestion, thank you both. How much are said fittings? Any links? I could probably call in favours for installation, likewise with additional power sockets actually.

There are a few sockets on the left hand side as you look in, a couple are quite high up, almost by the ceiling. Not perfect but enough points to run a few things and to be easily accessible with an extension cord.

I don't think there's anything in the pit, so power and lighting in there could be good but failing that some plug-in worklamps could be purchased very cheaply and powered by a wall socket if I don't get a supply down there.

I don't have internet to the house yet, and have yet to actually move in, but that's an excellent point! I'll see what the range is like, and if not a signal booster/"homeplug" might do the trick.

In any case, it will be a lot more pleasant than working outside, and I can finally do jobs in little bits over time, and leave everything out rather than in the dark and spending 30 minutes at the start and end packing and unpacking.

Hopefully that will translate to a lot more 306 progress as I definitely have time, just rarely in such large, several-hour blocks! Also, I think there's some scrap metal frame bits behind the garage so that could be welding practice or handy for making things.

Any storage ideas or further experiences of floor paint?

Also does anyone want a desk?

Thanks!

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Floor paint wise I used the pva sealant before painting and it stops if from peeling or flaking
Thanks given by:
needs a 60mm drop and some cyclones on!
Thanks given by:
It's a great feeling to move into a new garage/workshop  ThumbsUp As mentioned above, could do with lowering a bit though

[Image: low22.jpg]
Thanks given by:
In terms of LED, I buy from wherever is cheapest!! Some suggestions include the usual eBay, you can get some really cheap dimmable flush fitting 18w fixtures for £12. I also use screwfix, toolstation and cpc. After that I'm buying one off from ledhut etc which I've found via Google.

I've bought about 80 of these for work and they work well. eBay item 111890345004
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2016, 06:21 PM)Xud Missile Wrote: It's a great feeling to move into a new garage/workshop  ThumbsUp As mentioned above, could do with lowering a bit though

[Image: low22.jpg]

could do with the window tinting out a bit, and maybe a colour coded floor.  part from that yeah.
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2016, 06:50 PM)MisterGTR Wrote: In terms of LED, I buy from wherever is cheapest!! Some suggestions include the usual eBay, you can get some really cheap dimmable flush fitting 18w fixtures for £12. I also use screwfix, toolstation and cpc. After that I'm buying one off from ledhut etc which I've found via Google.

I've bought about 80 of these for work and they work well. eBay item 111890345004

Thanks, I'll have a look around.

If only the inside of the roof looked as nice as it does in those edited pictures!

Not in the UK currently so no progress can be made.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I have to say, avoid cheap LED fittings. LEDs are pretty much all the same but the drivers on cheaper fittings fail all the time. I'd look at something from Tamlite, Fern Howard, Channel. You'll pay more to start with but they will last providing they are installed properly!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
how do you lower a man-cave?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(31-12-2016, 10:45 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: how do you lower a man-cave?

I think it's a posh name for subsidence Rofl
Thanks given by:
Ah this explains the floor paint question then! lol

looks a great starting point and bonus of a pit! i just used the industrial grey floor paint and wasnt shy about slapping it on thick Smile took a while to cure completely (3-4 days in the summer!)
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Thanks, yeah this is why I asked.

I'm going to paint the walls for now and then do the floor in the summer time. There's a fair bit I'd like to do in the actual house, and also to the 306 before spring so I can enjoy it in the good weather.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Definitely need lighting In the pit or power socket at least but be careful that the pit doesn't get water In. The one I've got access to has been 2ft deep In water before. Maybe put the sockets near the top and have a separate switch for the power to them in the garage so you can switch the power off when not in use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2017, 02:52 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: Definitely need lighting In the pit or power socket at least but be careful that the pit doesn't get water In. The one I've got access to has been 2ft deep In water before. Maybe put the sockets near the top and have a separate switch for the power to them in the garage so you can switch the power off when not in use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, good idea. I have had experience of the filling up as well. I'm considering just using an extension reel and then worklights etc.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
submersible pump with float switch?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
I mean I have seen pits fill up before, mine seems ok.

I have painted half of the walls white, and got rid of the desk and tidied up a lot, as well as getting the 306 in there. The floor definitely needs sealing so I'll seal and then probably paint it when the weather is warmer. I'm also thinking of a solar powered fan to gently extract damp air. I'm hoping if I can stop the moisture coming through the floor, and seal most of the gaps other than the extractor fan that it will be a lot drier.

Pics later as I still have no internet haha.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Looking at the bottom two rows of brick and if only looking at putting a car in there, you don't need extra height maybe it's best to put a heavy sheet down and a couple of extra inches of conk? If that's just damp coming thru the floor that'll take some sort of paint to stick and stop it?
Thanks given by:
Not a bad suggestion, I was going to try a sealant and then paint over the top of that as well once it has cured. If that doesn't work then I'll probably follow your suggestion. Thanks.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheez's Shed/Workshop/Man Cave Thread bigcheez2k3 29 10,809 31-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Last Post: mr_fish