Glow plugs unscrew but can't be removed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glow plugs unscrew but can't be removed
Hi, so talking about 2002 non turbo 1.9 diesel 306. Only had the car 9 months and not sure when the glow plugs were last changed but thought I'd get them out and have a look as the car's turning over but refusing to start... 

Glow plugs unscrew but won't come out. Once unscrewed a certain distance they just turn. Doesn't feel like carbon deposits making it difficult to get them out. And they're not loose when they turn so it doesn't feel to me like they've broken. They also will screw back in again.

Anyone experienced anything similar? Any suggestions? 

Thanks!
Thanks given by:
not experienced similar no, you tried spraying a little wd40 in there loosen things up, work them in and out. . Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Had this loads and loads and loads on many diffrent vehicles its a case of pulling them out with wd40 and mole grips. But you have to be commited as if you do this its the point of no return. If one snaps while youre wankong about its head off which has happened to me a few times to be fair Smile))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Wangkong?
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
Ha ha LOL. yes, was wondering about Wankong ;-) however,it turns out that's exactly what you have to do! I went to that point of no return and the little buggers came out. Cheers bash
Thanks given by:
Wankong amazing!!

Working its meant to say glad you got them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Well done Ed - coulda been worse - hope she starts better now Smile
Thanks given by:
Chances are if it's turning over but refusing to start it's got air in the fuel lines.
Usually even with totally knackered plugs it'd start eventually, and most of the time it'd start on 2 or 3 working plugs.
Thanks given by:
So after changing the plugs it started four or five times without too much trouble. But now the car's heading back to the same problem - not starting when cold. Or eventually starting after a few attempts. I have checked everywhere I know for air in the fuel lines... Any more detailed advice? Primer a bit soft, but car doesn't start any better once pumped up again. When it does start, big cough of smoke. Once warm, runs beautifully and starts on the button. Any ideas?
Thanks given by:
Hi Ed - are you getting full voltage to the glows from the control box ?
What type of fuel filter is fitted and has it been changed ?
I had some minor starting probs with my xud when I had fitted a 'pattern' filter.
Purflux is the best and don't be fooled by the 'its made by the same group as purflux' - my pattern filter was made by the same group as purflux but it was really badly made ,especially the sealing ring which was probably causing my probs.

Edit to add - what make of glow plugs did you fit ?
Thanks given by:
Hi Maxaret, thanks. Forgive my ignorance, what should the voltage be at the plugs? Fuel filter was changed fairly recently but not by me. I'll take a look.
Thanks given by:
Bosch glow plugs from Euro car parts. Tested their resistance before putting them in. After fitting it started quite nicely a few times. Got progressively worse.

I can't get any voltage reading from the glows after having a quick try with the multimeter just now. I did use the car earlier, and it started after 4 or 5 tries. So the engine is still quite warm. Wouldn't the plugs get a little burst of voltage even if engine still hot?
Thanks given by:
Yes if you turn on the ign - you should always get voltage at the glows,but you would need to take a reading fairly quickly (preferably with someone else on the ign switch),even when the light goes out the glows will probably get power for a little time after start.
From memory you should be getting at least 10volts at each glow plug.
Istr having probs with the control box many years ago,but equally could be elec plugs or wiring prob.

Edit to add - of course any glow system fault becomes more noticeable as the temp drops - winter is coming LOL
Thanks given by:
haha. Yes best to avoid the white walkers. Hmm, yes I had a helper turn the ignition whilst i tested. no voltage at the plug. Is it easy to test at the relay?
Thanks given by:
(06-11-2016, 12:42 PM)EdAppleton Wrote: yes I had a helper turn the ignition whilst i tested. no voltage at the plug. Is it easy to test at the relay?

It was a long time ago Ed
I think I went to a scrappy and got another control box as the wiring and elec plug looked ok on my car,I was lucky and my 2nd hand box was ok !
Might be worth checking engine earth strap as well maybe ?
Thanks given by: EdAppleton
Thanks Maxaret I'll see how I get on.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 sets of glow plugs in 3 months???? HELP wdoyle2410 4 2,418 31-08-2018, 01:07 AM
Last Post: wdoyle2410
  Glow Plugs or what?! timpug 7 2,415 23-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Last Post: timpug
  Glow plugs on constantly bashbarnard 7 2,492 10-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard