How do you do your timing belt?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you do your timing belt?
So, just fit new fuel pump and about to time the engine for the second time.

First time, I had the engine out and so had a bit more space, as a well as my partner able to hold a few bits.

But Christ, with the engine now in, it seems I need about 6 hands to hold different points as well as releasing he tensioner! 

So, how do you time your engines. 

Any top tips?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
For the tensioner leave the nut done up and undo the top bolt on it, then push the tensioner back with ratchet and short extension i think i use and then the tensioner will stay back and makes it a lot easier to put the belt on. Then just undone the nut and the tensioner will take up the slack and tension the belt. I tend to turn it over a couple of times then and then do the nut and bolt up on the tensioner obviously as well as checking the timing pins still line up etc all ok.
Thanks given by:
(31-08-2016, 05:52 PM)Frosty Wrote: For the tensioner leave the nut done up and undo the top bolt on it, then push the tensioner back with ratchet and short extension i think i use and then the tensioner will stay back and makes it a lot easier to put the belt on. Then just undone the nut and the tensioner will take up the slack and tension the belt. I tend to turn it over a couple of times then and then do the nut and bolt up on the tensioner obviously as well as checking the timing pins still line up etc all ok.

Ah good tip; rather than fiddling with the ratchet, undo, slack it, tighten the 13mm so it's holding itself in its most slack position, then undo it once the slack is on the tensioner
Thanks given by:
(31-08-2016, 06:02 PM)ginge191 Wrote:
(31-08-2016, 05:52 PM)Frosty Wrote: For the tensioner leave the nut done up and undo the top bolt on it, then push the tensioner back with ratchet and short extension i think i use and then the tensioner will stay back and makes it a lot easier to put the belt on. Then just undone the nut and the tensioner will take up the slack and tension the belt. I tend to turn it over a couple of times then and then do the nut and bolt up on the tensioner obviously as well as checking the timing pins still line up etc all ok.

Ah good tip; rather than fiddling with the ratchet, undo, slack it, tighten the 13mm so it's holding itself in its most slack position, then undo it once the slack is on the tensioner

Yeah just leave the 13mm nut tight but undone the 13mm bolt at the top of the tensioner, then push it back with the ratchet. You will have to push with a bit of force.
Thanks given by:
timing is easy, its all pins.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
I like the 'cut the belt in half, slide new belt half on, cut other half off' method
Thanks given by:
(31-08-2016, 06:46 PM)welshpug Wrote: timing is easy, its all pins.

This isn't the tricky part; it's getting the belt on which is the tricky part in finding...
Thanks given by:
Crank on, pump on but belt on about 75% then twist and get the first couple teeth on the cam pulley...pull and wiggle till 50% is on cam pulley then get it on the tensioner and WP and then slide the belt on the rest of the way on the pulleys bit by bit if its tight
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: ginge191
I can't get on YouTube but search david667766 I did a pretty good video just for showing how to time an XUD before for instances like this there if you need info anyway ThumbsUp
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(12-09-2016, 01:36 PM)Dave Wrote: I can't get on YouTube but search david667766 I did a pretty good video just for showing how to time an XUD before for instances like this there if you need info anyway ThumbsUp

Cheers mate Smile

I used the method piggy suggested and worked spot on ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XUD timing belt kit compatibility weka 4 2,422 21-08-2017, 08:17 PM
Last Post: weka
  DW8 Timing belt cover / water pump bolt size? jamesgmg 13 4,655 06-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Timing belt jumped. simonson1982 3 1,768 30-01-2016, 07:20 PM
Last Post: ash23