Scissors Jack corrosion - lucky :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scissors Jack corrosion - lucky :)
I went to use my 306 scissors jack today for a non car related job (briefly support shed base whilst doing a little brickwork) but discovered it was rather rusted up LOL when I removed it from its mounting in the boot !
After WD40 - ing all the hinge pins and screwjack - I left for an hour and then greased the screwjack ready for refitting to car.

How lucky was that - I wouldn't have wanted to discover the jack wasn't useable in the middle of the night LOL.

The jack is one of those little things easy to overlook during periodic servicing (as is the spare wheel mounting mechanism).
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2016, 10:59 AM)maxaret Wrote: The jack is one of those little things easy to overlook during periodic servicing (as is the spare wheel mounting mechanism).

Lol, wouldn't worry about the jack too much, it's rarer to get a working spare wheel holder on 306s now anyway!! lol
Thanks given by:
as tom says now try releasing your spare wheel from the hook Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
I do actually check that twice a year Smile - mine is ok and the screwthread is greased ; )
Thanks given by:
I had a puncture recently and my carrier worked fine, didn't think to grease it at the time though! Best do that!
Puncture 12 months ago too...

I thought this was going to be a car flat on the deck horror story to be honest!
Thanks given by:
Yeah tbh they'll normally be fine as they're dry in the boot. You've obviously had some water in there at some point and it's been missed or ignored..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I'd be more worried about the sill collapsing lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2016, 12:03 PM)cully Wrote: as tom says now try releasing your spare wheel from the hook Wink

That's easy.... try getting it back on though Rofl
Thanks given by:
(16-08-2016, 12:39 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: I thought this was going to be a car flat on the deck horror story to be honest!

Sorry - it was a little difficult to get the wording correct on the thread title LOL

(16-08-2016, 12:43 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Yeah tbh they'll normally be fine as they're dry in the boot. You've obviously had some water in there at some point and it's been missed or ignored..

The poor old Jack might well have just sat unused in its little mounting for almost 20 years LOL - its a 1997 car Smile
Thanks given by:
Have you checked your rear arches? They'll only rust in there if water's getting in somewhere! I've never come across an unuseable one in owning about 15 306s so far lol.

The spare wheel hooks though, can't remember the last one that didn't need cutting off and replacing! lol
Thanks given by:
Funnily enough Smile - reversed the 306 into a builders yard today to pick up some large flagstones - the guy was waiting for me at the flags and waving me back - when I got out of the car he was laughing because my o/s rear light unit is full of water and he could see it sloshing around LOL ,so I guess that might be enough to keep the moisture content quite high in that corner of the boot - I have not noticed any water anywhere else in the boot yet !
Thanks given by:
Ah yeah, the lights is the other common area for water to collect around there!
Thanks given by:
Is there a good fix for water in the rear lights Tom ?
Thanks given by:
Yeah just remove it and reseal it and it should be fine.
Thanks given by:
Drill a drain hole...

Or fix the seal behind the unit/replace it. May find its all rusty inside now anyhow

That MAYBE where the water got into the jack tbh
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
yeah take the rear light off, give the seal and car a good clean and refit, it's a common issue Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Thanks all - will go and have a look when I have drunk enough coffee Smile
Thanks given by:
The sun came out so I removed the rear light unit -

No corrosion on the body under the light unit - the water started running out as soon as I started loosening the 2 wing nuts LOL

[Image: DSC01533_zpsh4df5x6t.jpg]

The light unit is in reasonable condition although (not surprisingly) the rubber seal is a little perished !

[Image: DSC01534_zpsh0zoebbt.jpg]

So is it possible to get new seals ? or is it just best to refit the unit with sealant on the seal ? -with some grease or petrol jelly as release agent
Thanks given by:
i'd just clean the seal well with some mild soapy water and refit, worked for me before Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
clean up all the lamp contacts and tracks they will rust as they have been swimming, give them a coat of oil Wink
it will stop random strange flashing lights from the rear

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Yeah - took the bulb panel/circuit board out after lunch and as you say - all wet,we have been getting some rapid clicking from the indicator relay occasionally LOL - perhaps this is the cause Smile - I will dry it out and clean up the contacts etc.
The indicator bulb has lost most of its 'yellow' paint LOL
Thanks given by:
Clean all of the dirt off of the seal with a cloth and soapy water, and then when it is dry use vaseline to soften them up. They have hardened with age.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
The indicator bulb had lost most of its yellow paint Smile

[Image: DSC01535_zpsed6zjpwp.jpg]

The reversing light bulb had a clearly defined 'Plimsoll Line' (or tide mark Smile) 3/4 way up it - due to being long term underwater LOL

Anyway all cleaned up and refitted,new bulbs as reqd,I put a little clear sealant on the seal,put a little petrol jelly on the car as release agent (mold release) and tightened up gently.
Thanks given by:
Got a long trip coming up so dropped the spare wheel down this morning to check/top up spare wheel pressure (was shocked to find local garage air now costing £1 Angry - but almost worth it to do 5 tyres LOL) - greased spare wheel screwthread again before refit.
As regards using the jack - I usually try and keep a flat wooden 'spreader plate' in the boot in case I need to use the jack.
Thanks given by:
Sainsburys air machines are free!! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom LOL
Yeah the services near where I used to work had free air as well - but we live in a quiet (ie dead) country town.
I do try to remember to check/inflate the spare in spring and autumn - cos it is a pain in the ar5e Smile - luckily ours holds pressure well Smile
Thanks given by:
I think they all charge except Sainsburys now. Sad A quid seems excessive though, it was 20p at Tesco and BP last time I checked!

Don't think I've ever checked the pressure on a spare, I just check its not flat when I get a new car and then forget about it until I need it lol! lol I should probably start doing that occasionally.
Thanks given by:
I try to keep an eye on the 306 spare as it is a pain to wind down and up,other cars with internal spares I don't worry about so much as they are easier to check more often.
The garage where I did the tyres was only 50p last time !which I thought was bad enuff - might get a tyre inflator LOL
Thanks given by:
Morrisons is free when you are buying fuel at the same time, ask in the shop for a token.
Thanks given by:
(31-08-2016, 11:01 AM)maxaret Wrote: I try to keep an eye on the 306 spare as it is a pain to wind down and up,other cars with internal spares I don't worry about so much as they are easier to check more often.
The garage where I did the tyres was only 50p last time !which I thought was bad enuff - might get a tyre inflator LOL
for about 30 quid, an auto-stop one with a preset/guage would be handy. small enough to leave in the boot. (I do)
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sealey 1250cx trolley jack Iceman299 6 2,085 06-05-2017, 07:53 AM
Last Post: Ben
  Lucky escape r.I.p the blue xud pioneer DJ paddy 38 8,164 08-08-2016, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  The Farm Jack thread Dum-Dum 29 4,863 12-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Matt