Gearbox engine mount

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gearbox engine mount
Have any of you replaced the gearbox mount?

I was wondering how much of a difference it made once replaced?

I noticed a massive difference on changing the other engine mounts. The top engine mount being replaced made the car feel a lot smoother and a lot less engine vibration. With the bottom engine mount replaced the I noticed a lot less engine rotation when going on and off the throttle.
Thanks given by:
depends how screwed the old one was.. potentially it can make a huge difference
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
What happens to clapped out ones?

The top ones collapse and compress. The bottom one tear and go weak to allow movement but what happens to the gearbox ones?
Thanks given by:
Gearbox ones let the box move back and forth, gives a torque steer effect and jumpy gear change. I've replaced quite a few tbh lol.
Thanks given by:
I bought one for my girlfriends car as I noticed hers was falling apart when I did the clutch change but hadn't got around to fitting it.

I just fitted it to my car, see what difference it makes in the morning. Bloody started to piss it down just before taking the old one off.

It looks like the the old ones ether get compressed or fall apart.
Thanks given by:
Car felt a bit nicer to drive this morning. The gears going in were noticeably nicer and the shift in general were nicer.

The vibration at 2.5k is still there but not as strong so the new mount is isolating it bit more. Going to do what Cully suggested and have someone hold the revs at 2.5k and go round the bay to see what I can find out.
Thanks given by:
You could do that yourself by setting the throttle cable further back than normal, about the only use of having a cable on a FBW car lol.
Thanks given by:
I said what?

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Excuse you. That's the second time you've accused me of being Cully!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
ooh what drama is this!!!
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
What mounts are on these cars? It looks like there is a left, right, and rear. And then one on the box?
Thanks given by:
Just those 3. The top left one is on the 'box, just under the battery tray.
Thanks given by:
(17-06-2016, 08:38 AM)Toms306 Wrote: You could do that yourself by setting the throttle cable further back than normal, about the only use of having a cable on a FBW car lol.

Ah that's true. I hate revving engine with no load.
(17-06-2016, 12:30 PM)Poodle Wrote: Excuse you. That's the second time you've accused me of being Cully!

Oop's sorry about that. Not sure how I've managed it, twice lol
Thanks given by:
I'm taking it as a compliment. Cool

Think i need to replace the box mount on my estate, tis pretty awful tbqh. In fact i should probably do the lot lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I think it might be because of Cully helping me on the '6 forum.

Yeah, I think I'd be advising people once one needs doing getting them all done.

I could imagine it feeling awesome getting them all done at the same time, engine would feel silky smooth, smooth as a diesel could feel.

I was thinking with the bottom one would it help sticking it in the freezer for it to shrink a tad and blow lamp the ally ring. Would that aid fitting? I remember it taking a bit of pressure on a press when I did the one on the 206 a while back. I've seen Niall's guide and I could get it in via a bolt screw method.
Thanks given by:
I've changed the vac pump this evening and it's made no difference so I'll be changing the HP pump next as I can't think of what else it could be.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gearbox mount issues dr_jekyll 2 1,372 26-10-2018, 12:52 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  So today I went to change an engine mount... jordanhdi 8 3,430 11-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  Lower engine mount dimensions highwayman306 15 3,410 23-05-2015, 07:23 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard