Blown turbos

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blown turbos
I'm sure many of you will have funny stories of blowing turbo's up so I posted this for those who wish to share.

I'll start, only done it once, blew the hot side out of a 320d. Smoke everywhere and sounded like ball bearings in a blender lol. Not too mad but was entertaining (and expensive)
Thanks given by:
Egt probe into the hotside of a GTB2056...
Got it happening on video...
https://youtu.be/2-tMGxSN66Q
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Never had a turbo catastrophically fail on me, only start whining due to high EGT's fatigue / melted tips.

When Darren and I were taking one of his non-forged blocks out for a rag, one of his many special blowers took a turn for the worst on shag pedal lift off. The blower already had a dicks length of in/out play in it, the lift off must have just thrusted it into the housing a little too far. The results of this are on one of his video's I think. Sorry Darren, I know I pushed you to take it out 'that one last time' before the blower went for a proper rebuild.....
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
still waiting to kill mine
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Mine was whining and very close to dieing. Found this out when racing a Corsa full of girls from the lights because I couldn't let them win Rofl Doh
Thanks given by:
done several gt2256v - one catastrophically pulling off from a set of lights

a gt2260v which munched on old bits of a gt2256v compressor wheel that where embedded in the inside of my airfilter

and two rather expensive hybrid vklrs - first went within a few miles of fitting and the 2nd suffered a melted turbine wheel, knackered bearings and compressor housing damage from wheel rubbing.
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2016, 05:24 AM)Piggy Wrote: Egt probe into the hotside of a GTB2056...
Got it happening on video...
https://youtu.be/2-tMGxSN66Q

I watched that when it came out, Loved the noise but I just went "shit !" knew it wasn't good haha

(05-05-2016, 06:14 AM)Dave Wrote: Never had a turbo catastrophically fail on me, only start whining due to high EGT's fatigue / melted tips.

When Darren and I were taking one of his non-forged blocks out for a rag, one of his many special blowers took a turn for the worst on shag pedal lift off. The blower already had a dicks length of in/out play in it, the lift off must have just thrusted it into the housing a little too far. The results of this are on one of his video's I think. Sorry Darren, I know I pushed you to take it out 'that one last time' before the blower went for a proper rebuild.....
I'll have to have a look for that hahahaha. A few of us were sitting around watching some of his old videos a couple of weeks ago. That old xtdt tool some abuse
Thanks given by:
[Image: th_VID-20160508-WA0001_zpsw2odjdqy.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I've had quite a few damaged fins and bearing play, but only one that failed impressively lol...

[Image: Oilyturbo023.jpg]

[Image: Oilyturbo020.jpg]

[Image: Oilyturbo022.jpg]

[Image: Knackeredturbo038.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Had many, many fail on me...

T2 had a jubilee go through it, nothing to do with me, previous owner must have left it in the inlet pipe.
K14 then failed with horrific whine noises
GT15 then failed after changing in about 5 miles on the day before the MOT test. Cue a quick turbo change before the MOT at 1pm!
GT2052v failed big style, could shake hands with it and then the oil seal failed and I had a full 6500rpm runaway on oil in a tiny village.
Another GT2052v failed as I pulled away from traffic lights, buried my foot into the shag pile and the compressor housing backplate failed and munched itself. Right ad I was getting past a cyclist... I think I received the wanker sign...
Another GT2052v failed as a Ford KA tried to undertake me on a roundabout... I buried it and again, exploded due to cracking the compressor backplate, probably received wanker sign for that too - boost hose too long and pressing down on the cartridge is the problem...

Quite a collection...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
You don't seem to have too much luck with GT2052v's Ruan lol
Thanks given by:
(08-05-2016, 09:19 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: [Image: th_VID-20160508-WA0001_zpsw2odjdqy.jpg]

Well that really doesn't sound right Rofl Time for a bigger one ?

(08-05-2016, 09:36 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I've had quite a few damaged fins and bearing play, but only one that failed impressively lol...

[Image: Oilyturbo023.jpg]

[Image: Oilyturbo020.jpg]

[Image: Oilyturbo022.jpg]

[Image: Knackeredturbo038.jpg]

That's spectacular Tom hahahaha

(08-05-2016, 10:43 PM)Ruan Wrote: Had many, many fail on me...

T2 had a jubilee go through it, nothing to do with me, previous owner must have left it in the inlet pipe.
K14 then failed with horrific whine noises
GT15 then failed after changing in about 5 miles on the day before the MOT test. Cue a quick turbo change before the MOT at 1pm!
GT2052v failed big style, could shake hands with it and then the oil seal failed and I had a full 6500rpm runaway on oil in a tiny village.
Another GT2052v failed as I pulled away from traffic lights, buried my foot into the shag pile and the compressor housing backplate failed and munched itself. Right ad I was getting past a cyclist... I think I received the wanker sign...
Another GT2052v failed as a Ford KA tried to undertake me on a roundabout... I buried it and again, exploded due to cracking the compressor backplate, probably received wanker sign for that too - boost hose too long and pressing down on the cartridge is the problem...

Quite a collection...

Jesus that is a collection Ruan hahaha. Ever had the blades from the hot side go ? After I did it in the 320d we found bits of metal everywhere down the exhaust. Refitted a new one and I messed up (unexperienced) and ended up with a leak and the massive BOOOOOO noise every gear change, I just left it till I got sick of it Rofl
Thanks given by:
(08-05-2016, 10:48 PM)MY95 Wrote: You don't seem to have too much luck with GT2052v's Ruan lol

As said, the turbos themselves were actually reliable as hell, the first was naffed from day one and afaik was the first VNT turbo on an XUD... I had to do a lot of testing which almost definitely damaged it!!!

The issue was that boost pipe, but I didn't realise until the second why it had failed... The others were just worn and abused lol!!!

I've never had the turbine wheel exit the exhaust... I've had the compressor explode and slice through the inlet piping...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(09-05-2016, 07:45 AM)Ruan Wrote:
(08-05-2016, 10:48 PM)MY95 Wrote: You don't seem to have too much luck with GT2052v's Ruan lol

As said, the turbos themselves were actually reliable as hell, the first was naffed from day one and afaik was the first VNT turbo on an XUD... I had to do a lot of testing which almost definitely damaged it!!!

The issue was that boost pipe, but I didn't realise until the second why it had failed... The others were just worn and abused lol!!!

I've never had the turbine wheel exit the exhaust... I've had the compressor explode and slice through the inlet piping...

Damn that's catastrophic. I genuinely thought I'd done that when I did the 320d in. Was funny driving it as a nad though Rofl
Thanks given by:
had an epic DERP moment working on a mates 300 tdi 90, turbo had died and did the runaway thing and also set his dound deadening alight on his bonnet, he managed to stall it and get it recovered back from north to south wales.

i took the dead unit off, and he had a bright idea of seeing if the engine was still ok after running away...

cue fountain of BLAAAAKKK oil from the loose oil feed pipe

lmao
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by: