Cabby Wont Start :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabby Wont Start :(
Hi guys, really hoping you can help me. 

So quick rendition of the past 24hrs, 

Missus used the car to go shopping, could not use the boot as i had a load of stuff in there, 
So she used the back seats, 

this morning, went out to the car, unlocked as normal, got a few bits out of the boot, and locked it again. 

20 mins later she wont start, 

So far i have - 
Re-programmed the key fob,
Put in an extra jerry can of fuel (now reads near 1/4 tank) 
Deadlocked and left for 1/2 hr
held the alarm button for 10 secs, (the little button behind the ignition switch. 

There is no key code, 

This is the first running problem i have encountered with this car, she has till today been a solid drive, and always reliable. 

There is no sound of fuel being primed, just clicking of relays. 

I have been texting poodle, whom has given me a list of possibilities/things to try which i have done. But though i would post here as well. 

she turns over, and thats about it. With everything i have been through in the past 4 weeks, this is the last thing i needed. I cant believe this little gem has let me down Sad
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
If she's used the rear seats she may of dislodged the fuel pump plug?
Thanks given by: insomaniac45
Black relay behind battery?
(28-04-2016, 04:24 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: If she's used the rear seats she may of dislodged the fuel pump plug?

i have pulled up the rear seat to gain access to the pump to check voltage, which i will do when kids are in bed Smile but no the plug was still home Smile

(28-04-2016, 04:35 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Black relay behind battery?

the only thing i can see there is behind the ecu, it looks like another black box, any way of testing that?

cheers guys.

Tony.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
Checked the inertia switch by the battery?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
(28-04-2016, 05:27 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Checked the inertia switch by the battery?

that was the first thing i checked.
(sorry i forgot to put it in my list of dids Sad )

Going for a smoke, so will check voltage on the fuel pump..........

reading that back, sounds like such a bad idea... oh well. if it burns, at least i m covered on my insurance lol.

ok, so im still alive Smile and the car is still on one piece.

results.

Pin 1 (blue) of the fuel pump/sender unit plug.

10.5v which to me is low, but could be because i have been trying this thing all day,

So would i be right to order a new fuel pump?
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
I'd try a different fuel relay, mine randomly started making issues just being sat on the drive.
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
That could be the black relay
Thanks given by:
Just thought, check the fuel filter.
Mine became loose before and then would turn over and not start as no fuel was getting to the bay
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
well, with thanks to poodle, i now know the issue Sad

lets just say i now have a spare fuel pump. so i am now in need of a replacement engine management relay, +1 to Paul, Matt and Tom,

at this moment you seem to be the ones that knew Smile

thanks for all your help guys,
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
ok, so after a result at the scrappy, for a replacment relay for only £3, still nothing....

all connections look ok, all fuses good,

relays tested just now, by passing 12v through 10 and 2 and checking continuity from 9 and 11, all good.

by passing 9 and 11 with metal pin, kicks pump on,

please recommend any other checks i can make, i feel a bit deflated with this atm. anything you may recommend that i can test with a basic multi meter, to find the culprit of this gremlin, please let me know. i am getting desperate Smile

Tony.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
i give up......

any one got a reader they can come and plug in for me please. i can offer coffee in return Smile

Tony.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
That relay you bought may of been a dud as well

What year is it?
Thanks given by:
shes a 2000 plate, late one i think.

i thought the same, which is why i tested both relays, and both were working as they should.

I had even bypassed the relay to get the fuel pump on, but she still would not fire. I am almost at the point of rolling her into the middle of the road, and calling the fire brigade......

the only thing i am thinking of now, is the ECU, i really dont want it to be that, as i have herd, weather true or not i dont know, is that they are coded to the engine, and thus not interchangeable. Which would mean it will be a ball ache getting a new one.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
More likely to be the immob box than the ECU I would think, both are coded though so you would need Pug Planet. But tbh it sounds like you need planet on it anyway now.
Thanks given by:
What engine is it mate. I got a ecu, bsi and the key off of a 1.8 if you need pm me

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
i have been in contact with Johnny, but he is a very busy boy Smile , hopefully he will be able to plug it in next week when he is not running his tits off. Smile

(07-05-2016, 05:49 PM)aggyj17 Wrote: What engine is it mate. I got a ecu, bsi and the key off of a 1.8 if you need pm me

It is a 2.0l petrol, will the ecu fit mine? When i get in tomorrow i will pull what numbers i can off it, (off out to a friends tonight, think i need it!) if you would be so kind as to check yours.

I do however need to wait for Johnny to confirm it is the ECU before i chuck any more money at her. My shoe string budget is hanging by a thread atm. When you say your broke, i say YAY money at last........ Things have been very very very tight round here for the past few weeks.

i really must commend every one whom has helped me so far. I am pretty good with mechanics, give me a shot brake system, or anything mechanical, and i am in my element. Chuck electrics at me and you will see the my hair turn grey before your eyes Smile (Not that i dont understand electrics, i am just not that great at them)

Tony.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
Electrics can be frustrating even with PP and a multimeter lol. The 1.8 ECU wont fit a 2.0 I'm afraid.

Hopefully Jonny can point you in the right direction next week though. Smile
(07-05-2016, 06:07 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote: i have been in contact with Johnny, but he is a very busy boy Smile , hopefully he will be able to plug it in next week when he is not running his tits off. Smile

(07-05-2016, 05:49 PM)aggyj17 Wrote: What engine is it mate. I got a ecu, bsi and the key off of a 1.8 if you need pm me

It is a 2.0l petrol, will the ecu fit mine? When i get in tomorrow i will pull what numbers i can off it, (off out to a friends tonight, think i need it!) if you would be so kind as to check yours.

I do however need to wait for Johnny to confirm it is the ECU before i chuck any more money at her. My shoe string budget is hanging by a thread atm. When you say your broke, i say YAY money at last........ Things have been very very very tight round here for the past few weeks.

i really must commend every one whom has helped me so far. I am pretty good with mechanics, give me a shot brake system, or anything mechanical, and i am in my element. Chuck electrics at me and you will see the my hair turn grey before your eyes Smile (Not that i dont understand electrics, i am just not that great at them)

Tony.

Hi mate Iv got a xsi 2.0 that is complete and running that I'm breaking so if you need ecu then your more than welcome to it. I'm in Windsor and it will cost you a costa latte. Let me know bud
Thanks Xsikid Smile will send you a pm.  
As i did say to aggy, i need to get johnny to confirm before i commit to buy. 
Feeling a little hungover this morning lol, was a heavy night. but i will send you a pm if that is ok. 
Tony.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
check the central locking fuse
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(08-05-2016, 08:52 AM)insomaniac45 Wrote: Thanks Xsikid Smile will send you a pm.  
As i did say to aggy, i need to get johnny to confirm before i commit to buy. 
Feeling a little hungover this morning lol, was a heavy night. but i will send you a pm if that is ok. 
Tony.

I can't return your pm dude for some reason so give me a bell bud 07795274560
Thanks given by:
(08-05-2016, 09:14 AM)welshpug Wrote: check the central locking fuse

Central locking works fine bud. 

I have today spoken to Xsikid (Jim) and once we have it confirmed the ecu is dead, i will be taking a short trip to his, :Smile

Thanks once again jim. 

Tony.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
(08-05-2016, 05:32 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote:
(08-05-2016, 09:14 AM)welshpug Wrote: check the central locking fuse

Central locking works fine bud. 

I have today spoken to Xsikid (Jim) and once we have it confirmed the ecu is dead, i will be taking a short trip to his, :Smile

Thanks once again jim. 

My pleasure bud only too pleased to help keep another 306 on the road :-))

Tony.
Thanks given by:
Massive thanks to Johnny for popping round this evening. Sorry Tom for dragging him away Smile and how the feck did you know it were me in the big bus!!!

I just hope my Tea was upto scratch for you Johnny lol. Thanks once again bud.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
Ok, so with a trip to a new friends rapidly approaching, what ( and where is it in the car) are the items i need,

The idea is to be able to just drop the new ecu in with out having to unlock it.

So far i have -
Keys (inc transponder chip)
ring behind ignition barrel,
ECU,
little black box forward of the gearstick (underneath the centre console)

what else am i going to require. Its kind of a one shot deal so would like to grab it all in one go Smile

Tony.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
That's all you need. Just the key fob chip, black box and ECU. You don't need the barrel ring as that isn't coded.
Thanks given by:
Cheers Tom

I am very hopeful that this will get My cabby back on the road
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
Small update,

Checked plugs inside car,
behind the wiper motor,
and as many as i can get my hands on......

Replaced ECU, key fob chip, and immobiliser box. (Thanks Jim Smile )
replaced fuel relay,

still nothing.

after tom mentioned the 2 round plugs on the inner wing, i checked them too. But on the upper on, on the inside of the wing, (where the horns are) 1 of the wores is very very suspect. I can see the copper wire, and its all green inside. So could this be the wire...... could this be the problem........ only problem is its location. It is right up in the wing, and access is a bitch...

I will try cutting it out, and tracing it back to good wire, where i will solder a new piece in, and connect it to the other side of the connector, taking out the plug for that wire only.

This is the only positive thing i have seen so far.

Plus, my car is starting to look like it has spent a few hours in the scrap yard, bits and pieces taken off here there and everywhere lol. ....

will report back asap.

Tony.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
(15-05-2016, 08:13 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote: Small update,

Checked plugs inside car,
behind the wiper motor,
and as many as i can get my hands on......

Replaced ECU, key fob chip, and immobiliser box. (Thanks Jim Smile )  
replaced fuel relay,

still nothing.

after tom mentioned the 2 round plugs on the inner wing, i checked them too. But on the upper on, on the inside of the wing, (where the horns are) 1 of the wores is very very suspect. I can see the copper wire, and its all green inside. So could this be the wire...... could this be the problem........ only problem is its location. It is right up in the wing, and access is a bitch...

I will try cutting it out, and tracing it back to good wire, where i will solder a new piece in, and connect it to the other side of the connector, taking out the plug for that wire only.

This is the only positive thing i have seen so far.

Plus, my car is starting to look like it has spent a few hours in the scrap yard, bits and pieces taken off here there and everywhere lol. ....

will report back asap.

Tony.

My pleasure bud , keep going at it and all will come good
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  car wont start ?? jjenn20 8 1,558 07-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Last Post: jjenn20
  XSI Wont start after being rebuilt???? jay5488 22 5,092 15-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Last Post: jay5488
  XU7JP4 Hard to start and wont rev Grant 7 2,453 27-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Ruan