Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally have a '6, Spares or repair car now got an MOT!
After this weekend I can say that the GTI is definitely more of a pain to work on then the HDI.

I took me from 9am to 6pm on Saturday and then 9am the Sunday to 2AM Monday morning to replace the clutch, engine mounts, transmission oil seals, crank oil seal with the hockey seals.

The dirty gearbox
[Image: DSCN8466_zpseu0usbfo.jpg]

The whole car could have done with a soak in oil, loads of seized nuts, bolts and lot of surface rust on the chassis.

First I removed the battery and then the air box which only the one in three fixings undid the other two broke off.

[Image: DSCN8470_zpscrjfgsxt.jpg]

[Image: DSCN8472_zpsrb8ds4ww.jpg]

[Image: DSCN8475_zpsgabclowo.jpg]

With the airbox out the way I thought I'd take a look at the AC leak. The bolt holding the clamp also was seized and snapped off.

[Image: DSCN8476_zpsxtvqyliw.jpg]

On with the gearbox removal, I went to take the bolts that hold the power steering pipes so I could keep it out the way when dropping the box but the one on the front snapped.

[Image: DSCN8477_zpsgg2wfhrk.jpg]

The box, note the oil.[Image: DSCN8478_zps5zrxozvz.jpg]

How I remove the bottom ball joints.

[Image: DSCN8479_zpsboowflyw.jpg]

I found the O/S outer CV boot needs replacing soon. I had a spare boot but didn't get chance to change it this time.

[Image: DSCN8481_zps2bnc2po3.jpg]

Throttle body next all but the bottom bolt came out but that one was a pig. I sprayed it with oil and used an allen bit on a ratchet to get it undone, I was so careful not the round it or snap it.

[Image: DSCN8485_zps8xnotbix.jpg]

Is this much oil normal in the inlet?

[Image: DSCN8486_zpshxpour92.jpg]

Gasket ripped on removal, but I had a spare.

[Image: DSCN8488_zpstmgkqqbv.jpg]

[Image: DSCN8490_zpslidapu3e.jpg]

Back to the box, I missed there was another bolt right next to the one on the block. Had my socket over it in this photo.

[Image: DSCN8495_zpsxc14iuhj.jpg]

Also missed the second earth, don't know why they have two earth point next to each other.

[Image: DSCN8496_zpsut2so3lb.jpg]

Next the air duct for the battery, this stud also broke. I know what you're thinking "bloody heavy handed twat" but I was very careful not to break them I tried the twist back and forth method with oil but no luck.

[Image: DSCN8497_zpsr25pfp8g.jpg]

Box off and a very dusty clutch revealed. The pin in the arm was also seized in so I had to bend the arm up to let the fork disengage.

[Image: DSCN8498_zpsjb4bggqc.jpg]

Bay without box.
[Image: DSCN8500_zpsn5clrzkb.jpg]

Very dusty bell housing. You can see where the chain spay made it up when I sprayed it the other week.

[Image: DSCN8501_zpsq6jcaiki.jpg]

A very worn clutch.

[Image: DSCN8504_zpsgrvyp2fo.jpg]

Fly wheel in good condition.

[Image: DSCN8508_zps9rvzkhym.jpg]

That was it for Saturday.

[Image: DSCN8510_zpsacjvmh5y.jpg]

Sunday,

I got the flywheel off to find this.

[Image: DSCN8511_zpswtcf7soj.jpg]

I started to get the sump off to replace the hockey seals and crank oil seal. I couldn't hold the engine up from below so suspended it from above on a pole.

[Image: DSCN8512_zpsjty6ksdv.jpg]

[Image: DSCN8513_zpstujpgnod.jpg]

While the oil was draining out the sump I started to give the box a wash and had a closer look at the fork shaft. As you can see the shaft is very rusty and it's no wonder the clutch is heavy with that resistance. I'm surprised it didn't eat the bushes being so rough.

[Image: DSCN8514_zpsvidfaztl.jpg]

[Image: DSCN8515_zpsdr7192kr.jpg]

[Image: DSCN8516_zps67mmvuwh.jpg]

If I know it was going to be so bad I'd have bought a new one. I would have thought Peugeot wouldn't have chromed the ends that have contact with the bushes, that would have been loads better and would be lighter for a lot longer.

With the box off I was able to rotate the lever so I had access to the back and smashed to pin out with a pin puntch.

Back to the sump, once the oil was out I removed the AC pump. What a pain that was, to do this I had to lift the rad and pull it forward to allow access to the top bolt other wise the pump wouldn't rotate as it was hitting the extra inlet bend that goes to the oil cooler.

With the pump off I removed the sum and to my horror I found a large washer in there.

[Image: DSCN8519_zpsx6xoy9fw.jpg]

View of the bottom without the sump.

[Image: DSCN8518_zpsesghd266.jpg]

No1 bearing cap and oil seal removed.

[Image: DSCN8520_zpsfxsmxt5k.jpg]

Bearing cap, new and old hockey sticks.

[Image: DSCN8523_zpsaarqtpci.jpg]

The shell in the cap looks to be in good condition.

[Image: DSCN8524_zpssxgdplza.jpg]

I used the Haynes tip on replacing the cap without stretching the hockey seals.

[Image: DSCN8526_zpsp5s10sg7.jpg]

Cap in place with only a couple of mm of the seal poking out.

[Image: DSCN8528_zpsj9ss5azb.jpg]

Sealant on the cleaned up sump surface.

[Image: DSCN8529_zpsgoshjzxa.jpg]

The now cleaner and dry box.

[Image: DSCN8530_zpsefugcsmy.jpg]

[Image: DSCN8531_zpsvszpvk2f.jpg]

[Image: DSCN8532_zpsae4vucdl.jpg]

Old and new clutch. There was only 2mm difference in the thickness of the old and new.

[Image: DSCN8533_zpskszaatvy.jpg]

Clutch in place.

[Image: DSCN8534_zpslosao9xt.jpg]

Cleaner box back in.

[Image: DSCN8535_zpsv4za1sag.jpg]

The fluids were replaced, new oil filter on the engine and also the bottom and gearbox mounts replaced. Going to do the top hopefully one of the evenings.

Hopefully the CV boot before it fails and the wishbone bushes are next on the list.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Finally have a '6, Spares or repair car now got an MOT! - by DeeTurbo - 01-08-2016, 10:21 PM