Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally have a '6, Spares or repair car now got an MOT!
This morning I had a right mare at ECP. Ordered a couple of bits for collect, got a call to say they're ready, turned up four staff behind the desk all kids that know f all about cars, two chatting about gaming the other two chatting about trainers. Had to wait for them to finish talking about there shit before getting served. Then get told the parts haven't been picked, so what the f*ck was the call about? They seem to do that a lot, call to say they're ready when they're not even picked. Think I was there around 30 minutes. One guy came in asking for struts and they didn't have a clue. I would have loved a job in a parts place when I was a kid and these shits are not the slightest bit interest in cars or what they're selling. Think I'll be using GSF more as the parts at ECP seem to be getting worse on the quality side.

Any way sorry for my little rant there.

When I got to the car I managed to;

Fit the rear number as the old one had a crack through the middle.
[Image: f3b8928bade41a973eef9a5e9cfaa4fe.jpg]

Fitted the spare on the car as the osf failed the MOT. I will be replacing all the tires soon as they're all budget tyres at the moment.

Fitted the cat and new lambda. Didn't realise the manifold to cat fittings were bolts on this and not like the HDI studs so scared the shit out of me when it was turning and not coming undone lol. Next it took me a couple of minutes to work out that you could get access to the drivers side bolt from in front of the sub frame.

Almost fitted the wrong cat.
[Image: e7bbefe4b596d0360f1138ac24c2b632.jpg]
Random cat came and had a nosey. Kept jumping on the car to, had to pick it off the roof a couple of times.

The old cat is a bit smaller then the shit one I've fitted.
[Image: d7258613befe0a14ef024772d4b4b290.jpg]

The clearance between the heat shield wasn't great ether.
[Image: 17a39efd9f2c9536eee8b11d9ae03f97.jpg]

That and the midsection seems an inch or two too short so the whole alignment of the exhaust system isn't great. The exit is almost not visible from the back. Things like this really piss me off.

The lambda connector doesn't click in the the plug on the car so had to cable tie them together to stop them coming apart or moisture getting in.
[Image: 81ca77bc8b5ebee657d197b313996491.jpg]

Bloody exhaust sections didn't seal ether when I clamped them and I didn't bring any exhaust paste with me so I'll need to go back Monday to sort that.

On one of the previous MOT sheets the car failed because of that red cable being loose so they chopped it short. I've pulled it back through in to the cabin for now. Need to reseat the rubber bung though. It's really shit way of routing the power lead the edge of the body was really digging in to the cable.

The handle surround kept popping off, this was due to the screw under the handle being missing. Swapped the one in from the front end of the door, got spare one at home so that'll be sorted soon. Surround all sorted now.
[Image: e4a44bd8a4b651a749cb9afd403ac200.jpg]

I would have thought the GTI spec to have tweeters in the A sail (mirror covers)?

Feels like I've had to bodge a bit to day as I didn't have stuff I needed but I'll be sorting it out properly once I get the car home.

The gearstick didn't feel nice selecting gears so lubed up the ball on the selector under the car. Nice and smooth now.

Looks like some idiot has broken the clips that hold the coolant pipe that runs along the chassis leg, one clip was rubbing on an idler.
[Image: 651c20f598d0978f97b5e927e4d2a12b.jpg][Image: 0d45e909ca71cf2edd693fbaf3c93899.jpg]

The tensioner seems to have a bit broken to.
[Image: ffd852c64ea1afa18b5e2e2b5739575e.jpg]

Do these AC pipes look standard? Thought they were going to be like the HDI ones with the ally runs but these a mainly rubber. So hopefully change the condenser, regas and it'll have working AC.
[Image: 9f1224d2a08d1c918fddbdc7de16cca2.jpg]

Most the tires needed air so went to fill them using the compressor out my car and found no power, the 20amp fuse was blown for the cigarette lighter plug. Replaced it and inflated tires. Spare had 5psi in it lol and its a new tire though.

Spoken to my dad about the car today and he says I can park it up around his in the winter so I think I'll be keeping this now instead of selling it on in 6 months.

Saying that my love for this is dieing a bit, loads to do to get it good and I hope the MOT doesn't fail it on something I've missed.

I just hope that first drive to the MOT station knocks my socks off but I doubt it will with its dodgy bushes and crap tires.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Finally have a '6, the trials and tribulations of buying a 17 year old car. - by DeeTurbo - 30-04-2016, 07:50 PM