306 trip Perthshire to the south

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 trip Perthshire to the south
Last week we had a long weekend down south for a christening and family get together - so we made good use of spare days Smile

Gatwick Aviation Museum
They have just reopened after a long battle with local council to get the aircraft under cover in a new building

[Image: 4adbc3eb-e7ca-4084-9800-24978d96c856_zpspk1bp5kp.jpg]

The museum is just off the northwest end of the runway

[Image: IMG_0105_zps3rj8tauj.jpg]

I did not take too many pics inside,my GF is the official photog LOL
Harrier,Lightning and Hunter

[Image: IMG_0079_zpsckxfk0xr.jpg]

DH Sea Vixen

[Image: IMG_0076_zpsktaf4uah.jpg]

Percival Sea Prince

[Image: IMG_0106_zpsfrcmihxs.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Meant to put a few more pics up but got pissed off with photobucket LOL...
On the way home we stopped off at the Newark Aircraft Museum Smile

[Image: DSCF0335_zpseexrrvk3.jpg]

Then we carried on up the A1 and took the gorgeous scenic route through Weardale (J58/A68/A689) - this pic taken in Alston where the cobbled street almost shook my fillings out Smile

[Image: f36ae649-3c54-4959-96a4-59e87e330aee_zpsvj29gvcw.jpg]
Thanks given by:
took the wagon to end of Devon at the weekend (Cornwall too but just this pic for now)
Yes I know Nimrods are going on the back soon...
Broke a droplink and now it rattles like mad...

[Image: asOmDjv.png]
Thanks given by:
[Image: DSCF0447_zpsli5c2mv4.jpg]

Having fun splashing through the Ford at Killhope Lead Mining museum Smile

[Image: f3fb2e99-719b-41ce-b99f-f9341c883761_zpsyrwuwdn5.jpg]

Old Lead mine - lovely scenery - we will be going back when we have more time - we only had time for a slab of cake and a coffee LOL 

[Image: DSCF0450_zpszebt9sdn.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Very cool pics mate! Good trip then? How did the car go over the miles?
Thanks given by:
I;ve got one in the same ford, abit in a new 309 GTi I had back in around 1992, feeling old
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
Welcome to my favourite back roads near me Tongue great fun Smile
As said how did the car do? Took mine up to the top of the isle of skye and back over 2 days a few months ago and it didnt miss a beat (800 miles)
Thanks given by:
Is that the Leadhills in the borders? Epic roads down there Smile
Thanks given by:
Yes the car was great Smile  - the trip south was generally ok - we left home at 1300 and blasted off down the motorways - we were passed by a 'Fastard' driving like a tw@t in the midlands and were not surprised to find that our 30 min hold up on the M42 had been caused by him getting involved in an accident further south LOL (ooh my aching left leg from half an hour of 306 clutch during the hold up Smile).
Other than that we just cruised at 75 all the way when traffic and road works allowed - just taking 2 short 'splash and dash' stops at Tebay and Warwick (we always have a flask of coffee with us ) and checked into a hotel near Croydon at 2130 (470 miles) .
The route south was A9/M9/M80/M74/M6/M6toll/M42/M40/M25
We had an early walk round Kenley airfield the next morning and then headed off to Ruislip Lido for a trip on the narrow guage railway Smile and booked into a n other hotel for 3 nights for family related stuff and also a few more trips around the home counties.
The trip back north was more relaxing as we left  Ruislip  at 0500 to clear the traffic and took the 'Longcut' through Weardale ,Cumbria to get back on the M6.

(25-04-2016, 10:14 PM)miles Wrote: I;ve got one in the same ford, abit in a new 309 GTi I had back in around 1992, feeling old

Can you post the pic Smile ? don't see many 309 pics these days !
Shame the water wasn't deeper - my pic is a screen grab from a vid clip and I said to my GF ''I should have gone through faster'' LOL

(25-04-2016, 10:46 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: Is that the Leadhills in the borders? Epic roads down there Smile

Its Killhope Lead Mining museum on the A689 just west of Alston and Slaggyford in County Durham.
Thanks given by:
(25-04-2016, 10:28 PM)MY95 Wrote: Welcome to my favourite back roads near me Tongue great fun Smile
As said how did the car do? Took mine up to the top of the isle of skye and back over 2 days a few months ago and it didnt miss a beat (800 miles)

Its great out on the Islands Smile
Here is my old Vectra 2.0 Di at Reef Beach (Traigh na Beirghe),Isle of Lewis,outer hebrides some years ago...

[Image: IMG_0064Reefbeach-1.jpg]

Then I climbed the wee hill and took this one Smile

[Image: IMG_0060.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK Road trip; what to do, where to visit? South to North ginge191 25 4,045 20-07-2015, 05:53 PM
Last Post: THE_Liam