UK Road trip; what to do, where to visit? South to North

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Road trip; what to do, where to visit? South to North
Howdy!

Just putting together a plan for a road trip round the UK.

I'll be starting and finishing in Hampshire, going as far as Glasgow on day one to see a friend, get some ink and spend some time in Scotland.

Already planned to do Escape Glasgow www.escape-glasgow.co.uk

Anyone have any other ideas or places to go? 
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Norfolk.

Not much here but fields & the broads, but still, why not.
Thanks given by:
If your only going as far as Glasgow your not going far enough.

Go and experience some of the best driving roads in the country in the highlands, go nessie hunting and go and climb a mountain (there's loads of good ones within an hour of Glasgow around where my parents live that start at sea level so you've done your full climb)
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2015, 05:36 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: If your only going as far as Glasgow your not going far enough.

Go and experience some of the best driving roads in the country in the highlands, go nessie hunting and go and climb a mountain (there's loads of good ones within an hour of Glasgow around where my parents live that start at sea level so you've done your full climb)

What are is that? Inverness way?

It's an extra 3 hours on the road... but i'll keep it in mind if nothing comes up!
Thanks given by:
If you're going to glasgow go to loch lomond.. Theres a pub there called the drovers inn, scary as f*ck, haunted and you can stay there overnight
Thanks given by:
Lomond is only an hour out of Glasgow and Ben Lomond has snow on most of the year but The Cobbler (where you'll park outside my parents house) is an easier walk up.
Thanks given by:
My job takes me all over Argyll and Bute, the roads can't be beat, but watch out as every loony with a fast car or bike has had the same idea as you, and throw cyclists, campervans and foreign drivers into the mix you might be safer on the Nurburgring. If you're as far as Glasgow just turn left, you'll be at the loch side in as little as 30 minutes, from there it's driving nirvana. Get to Oban you can hop on a ferry out to the islands. First time I did Tiree and Coll it was 31 degrees and like the Bahamas, obviously your luck with the weather may vary!
'95 Peugeot 405 GLX with XU10J4RS and ITB's
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9TD with TD04
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:
If you going to Scotland you may as well stop off at the Lakes.
Thanks given by:
Oh and if your doing a UK road trip you've got to take in some of London. If it's just you and you want to do London you are welcome to my sofa. It's £31.20 for a return train to the center of town and an all day all zones travel card.

If your doing london you've got to do the pub crawl round the smithfields meat market as they open from 6am to serve alcohol (and breakfast) and also borris biking round places is brilliant (more so when drunk) abuse londons free museums (science museum is my recommendation), go to Camden, get robbed/stabbed/raped it's all part of the experience.
Thanks given by:
Road to drive in yorkshire, a57 sheffield to glossop also known as snake pass.
Thanks given by:
If you're up as far as Glasgow carry on up and head towards the Isle of Skye. The mountains and roads up through Glencoe are truly fantastic and imo the best the uk gets in large scale unspoilt scenery. If you cant be arsed to drive that far and are anywhere near the mid-welsh border take the mountain road from Rhayader to Aberystwyth. You'll no doubt find some of it vaguely familiar if you watch Top Gear Smile
Thanks given by:
Come to my house I'll make you a brew Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(21-06-2015, 09:47 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: Come to my house I'll make you a brew Smile

You're a bit off route unfortunately 

this is the route we're taking

We've sorted out Scotland, Blackpool and Cheddar.

Need something to do in Glasbury, Wales (thinking canoes) and lakes - thinking camping?
Thanks given by:
Brecons a nice place, not far from your route either, id personally avoid the a449 from usk down to j24 of the m4, and come the other way through pontypool (a4042 i think) and pick up motorway at 23a
Thanks given by:
Canoeing on the wye is nice!

a40/A449 means Rhaglan, there is a nice castle there, which is quite complete!
Thanks given by:
You're using the wrong side of the country! Although Cumbria is nice, it's all about the A1 baby
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
If it's a road trip I'd completely avoid the A49 section you have between Shrewsbury and Leominster. It's the main trunk road thru the county from top to bottom. If on the other hand you want to spend 40 miles staring at the back of an HGV you can't get by because it's stuck behind 10 more carry on lol.
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2015, 11:04 PM)Nath140889 Wrote: Road to drive in yorkshire, a57 sheffield to glossop also known as snake pass.

Utterly shit road to have fun on though, if you're not stuck behind a truck you're stuck behind some massive lady garden who refuses to move past 30 mph.
Obviously if you hit it at 4am it's a f*cking blast, but other than that avoid it if you can.

If you want some fun over the peaks you can go halfway over woodhead pass, then head up towards Holmfirth.

Since you're that side of the country you may as well head up the east side, then smash the Pickering to Whitby road which is f*cking awesome.
Thanks given by:
If your set on that route make sure you do the M6 toll at 3am Wink
Thanks given by:
Yeah snake pass sucks in the day but i have to say almost everytime i have drove it has been after midnight , its one of the most common drivig places round here, usually barnsley>penistone>strines>snakepass>woodhead then back towards penistone or stocksbridge bypass depending if im off home or not, it kills an hour haha
Thanks given by:
Stop off at the 3 sisters circuit in wigan to hoon your car around? Would say come to bury but there's nothing special there except old people and a broken rover Wink
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(21-06-2015, 10:36 AM)ginge191 Wrote:
(21-06-2015, 09:47 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: Come to my house I'll make you a brew Smile

You're a bit off route unfortunately 

this is the route we're taking

We've sorted out Scotland, Blackpool and Cheddar.

Need something to do in Glasbury, Wales (thinking canoes) and lakes - thinking camping?

My mate runs the canoes in Glasbury! thats my stomping ground Smile get the canoes down the river, end up at the boat inn at whitney on wye for a bit of nosh and a few pints then back to glasbury on the mini bus Big Grin
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
On the way up detour off the M6 into the Yorkshire Dales, amazing roads and views, and head up the Buttertubs Pass (best road I've ever driven!) to The Tan Hill in, the highest pub in England.

On the way back take the eastern route towards the A1, and visit Edinburgh, Berwick, Lindisfarne, Bamburgh, the North Yorkshire Moors (Whitby to Pickering is another great road), and then stop at Matt's for a brew Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2015, 06:32 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Lomond is only an hour out of Glasgow and Ben Lomond has snow on most of the year but The Cobbler (where you'll park outside my parents house) is an easier walk up.
Hey Chris! Hope all went well on the trip back down!
Have you ever had a 306 over the Dukes pass in the Trossachs?
Hairpin city at the Aberfoyle end and absolutely breath taking view at the other side!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UO_RgixUDEc
Not my video obvs but I would love to try it in a caterham!
Check out the Disney like fairy tale castle on the left at 5 minutes 30!
It's a hotel so u could stay the night here and play in the mountains til dusk!

When u doing it?
Thanks given by:
A686 between Alston and Hexham. Absolutely stunning.

[Image: A686-7917650.jpg]
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2015, 10:27 AM)Ruan Wrote: A686 between Alston and Hexham. Absolutely stunning.

[Image: A686-7917650.jpg]
Agreed, f*cking brilliant.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A great visit - Classic Cars,Brewery,Old Airfield maxaret 6 2,314 12-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Last Post: maxaret
  306 trip Perthshire to the south maxaret 9 1,849 26-04-2016, 09:41 AM
Last Post: maxaret
  Road trip! cully 50 7,501 21-10-2015, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye