Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake Discs
I need new brake discs for the rear as mine have little micro cracks in -_-

Anyways Eurocarparts has 3 brands

Eicher for £8.59 per disc
Pagid for £15.99 per disc
Brembos for £16.49 per disc

How much better can they really be? None of them are anything fancy like grooved or fancy coatings or whatever. 
Tbh I would be hard pushed to go for the super cheap ones as they sound too good to be true compared to the others. But if I am gonna go for the pagid ones I may as well get the brembos haha.

So really the question is, How much difference is there actually?

Thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
My personal opinion would be that eicher isn't a completely crap brand. Pagid is oem. Drilled and grooved aren't all that and definitely aren't needed on the back. Tbh if you're on a budget I would get the cheapest ones and then use the money to get some decent pads on the front. That way you've got possibly crap rear disks but much better fronts!
Thanks given by:
I have heard pagid are good. The brembo's aren't drilled and grooved tbh. I have heard that they can be a bit of a pain with cracks forming round the holes etc.

I am now wondering if mine is a car with the brake pad wear warning thing as I am not sure if they are haha
Thanks given by:
Pagid will be fine, as will Eicher TBH on the rear. Avoid Eicher pads though. You won't have a warning wire on the rear.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I've managed to ruin a few Eicher discs on the front quickly, not had an issue with Pagid ever so tend to stick with them now. On the back it may not be an issue though.

I'd be surprised if you have pad warning cables, never seen any on ph3 HDi's.
Thanks given by:
Brembo, anyone that chooses to use those other brands needs their head testing
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
I choose to use a different brand, o.e Tongue

look up the part numbers and chuck them into ebay, I got a set for £20 last year, pads for £15.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2016, 08:13 AM)Stef205 Wrote: Brembo, anyone that chooses to use those other brands needs their head testing

lmao

Yeah, okay. Because oe quality just isn't safe enough.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Absolutely nothing wrong with eicher, will be completely adequate for a diesel road car.
Thanks given by:
I have never had a problem with Pagid discs and pads,they seem to be decent quality !
Thanks given by:
Don't forget to chuck the part numbers into Amazon. IIRC, Brembo rear discs are around £20 a pair delivered from Amazon themselves!
Thanks given by:
I don't know where numbers are found from tbf ?

If I can find them I will search for them though cheers Smile
Thanks given by:
Brembo IMHO is no better than cheap Eicher stuff.

It is NOT the same as what you get from the "top" Brembo stuff, personally had nothing but issues with Brembo branded "OEM" stuff. Not just PSA stuff too, Ford and BMW stuff I've had discs warp for no reason on cars driven by "normal" people who aren't driving like nutters 24/7.

Can't say I've had an issue with Pagid, usually end up putting Pagid on after the other stuff has f*cked up.

Only brands I'd personally use is Bosch, Pagid or OEM.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Pagid discs it is then Smile cheers
Thanks given by:
Another Pagid user here....only because they tend to be cheaper than the Brembos etc and that I've never trusted the Eichers/Textar types after a european road trip in Ant's (PowerandTorque) 205Mi16 (Textar pads on a mountain road = f*ck all stopping power).
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2016, 03:15 PM)Ruan Wrote: Brembo IMHO is no better than cheap Eicher stuff.

It is NOT the same as what you get from the "top" Brembo stuff, personally had nothing but issues with Brembo branded "OEM" stuff. Not just PSA stuff too, Ford and BMW stuff I've had discs warp for no reason on cars driven by "normal" people who aren't driving like nutters 24/7.

Can't say I've had an issue with Pagid, usually end up putting Pagid on after the other stuff has f*cked up.

Only brands I'd personally use is Bosch, Pagid or OEM.

here here,

same crap anyway: http://www.tmdfriction.com/en/group/about
Thanks given by:
Got pagid discs all round and they take some abuse, pagid pads too.. hardly any fade unless I am reaaaaallllyyy pushing it hard
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Brilliant. When the pads are gone I will get a full set of them as well Smile cheers
Thanks given by:
JT
If I am reading your last post correctly - it is usually worth fitting new pads with new discs !
Thanks given by:
The pads weren't dont long ago at all on the car. Still loads left at the moment :/ Just the person who did the rear pads never noticed the fact the discs were Shaqqed as well -_-
Thanks given by:
Pagids are great, Eicher discs are usually okay, as Alan says though, avoid Textar pads like the plague. My only real brown trouser moment in a car was shortly after having some Textars fitted whilst away on holiday....I had two feet on the brake pedal trying to stop!
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Pagid all the way, always use Pagid on the front and they always last me a longgggg time, use Eicher on the rear and discs warp very easily and pads don't last very long at all (even with brand new callipers) so im going to start using Pagid all round from now on. Pagid also comes with some special coating, whereas eicher does not.
Thanks given by:
That's just to stop corrosion, won't affect your braking power, at least not after the first few stops.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah the coating is to stop corrosion, you should always give them a spray with brake cleaner and wipe them down before fitting Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
To clear up here, newer discs come with the silver coating, it supposedly helps the bedding in process. The older way or the oily coating that needs thoroughly cleaning off.

Stay clear of Borg and beck at the moment, having some issues with warping discs!
Thanks given by:
(05-04-2016, 09:20 AM)allye Wrote: To clear up here, newer discs come with the silver coating, it supposedly helps the bedding in process. The older way or the oily coating that needs thoroughly cleaning off.

Stay clear of Borg and beck at the moment, having some issues with warping discs!

didn't know that, mine have always had like a light film of oil on them . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2016, 09:39 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Pagids are great, Eicher discs are usually okay, as Alan says though, avoid Textar pads like the plague. My only real brown trouser moment in a car was shortly after having some Textars fitted whilst away on holiday....I had two feet on the brake pedal trying to stop!

I vaguely recall Anthony doing the same....We couldn't believe that a set of new pads could be that shite, so re-bled the brakes several times over that trip with little improvement. Absolutely terrible pads, and will continue to avoid for the foreseeable future!
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
(05-04-2016, 09:50 AM)Alan_M Wrote: I vaguely recall Anthony doing the same....We couldn't believe that a set of new pads could be that shite, so re-bled the brakes several times over that trip with little improvement. Absolutely terrible pads, and will continue to avoid for the foreseeable future!

Indeed, I was checking over the car a couple of days before the trip and saw the front pads were fairly worn so grabbed the only thing that GSF had in stock. I was rather more naive then and figured that given it was a 205 with GTi-6 brakes then for road use some pattern pads should be fine. How wrong I was.

We knew that we were in for some fun when we were getting brake fade going up the mountain pass on the first day... Rofl

Remember kids, Textar pads are bad, mmkay?
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(05-04-2016, 09:20 AM)allye Wrote: To clear up here, newer discs come with the silver coating, it supposedly helps the bedding in process. The older way or the oily coating that needs thoroughly cleaning off.

Silver Pagid discs ftw! Big Grin

[Image: ScrapStuffandBrakeChange022.jpg]

Also stops the 'hub' part and the edges corroding for ages unlike oiled discs.
Thanks given by:
funny that Anthony, in a 1.9 caliper I found Textar to be perfectly fine, they make a lot of the o.e peugeot/citroen pads too.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Skimming brake discs lolsteve 13 3,270 29-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Tom
  BRAKE DISCS GETTING SUPER HOT p306hot 5 1,262 04-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Last Post: londondan86
  Which brake discs rocker8742 9 2,599 02-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Last Post: pug306driver