(TheSedanFather) 306 Straight d Sedan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(TheSedanFather) 306 Straight d Sedan
A Couple of weeks ago i picked this up off a friend of a coworker.
[Image: 20160310_200516_zpshxxellnd.jpg]
[Image: 20160310_200540_zpscbbtgyup.jpg]
Its a 1998 Phase 2 sedan 1.9 straight diesel
Usual grandfather spec, cloth seats etc. Picked it up for 50euro as he had gotten a company van and had no need for it. Its been lying up a year and needs some work to get it through a test. Id been looking for one for a number of months and thought id pick it up, at worst it would serve for parts for a decent car.

Collecting the car proved to be its own battle, It took nearly 20 minutes to start as it hadn't been started in nearly a year. Once stared however, it ran surprising smoothly for a n/a diesel. One of the springs had broken over the last few months and had to be cut before loading it. Got the car home and started the process of deciding whether it would be broken for parts or put on the road.

From a quick inspection i concluded the car needed the following done.
New front springs and shocks
Back axle
Dial cluster
Front and back seats
Electric windows fixed
Central locking fixed
Diesel leak on engine fixed
4 new tyres
The list goes on...

I (foolishly?) decided i wanted to put the car on the road and so the work began.
Without any of the parts to replace, i started on the problems that could be fixed without parts (hopefully)
Electric windows were first on the list. Broken wires in the rubber boot going from the car to the door were the source of both my windows and central locking as far as i can tell. Reconnected the broken wires and now the windows and central locking work perfectly.

I managed to sort a back axle, 5 door interior including door cards and a set of dials for 100e. Seemed like an okay buy so i went for it. Picking up doors and axle on tuesday but threw the dials in today, Diesel dials solved my rev counter not working as there was petrol dials in it previous xD.

Repainted the rubstrips, mirrors and door handles as i was bored and lacking in parts. Made a bit of difference i think
[Image: 20160320_220035_zpsepau5lqy.jpg]

Then i looked in the boot
[Image: 20160320_224332_zpsyojqlj2s.jpg]
Thats the lock for the boot and not much holding it on. I dont have any pictures yet but i cut some 3mm plate and shaped it around the lock and welded it in place.Put the trims back on and you'd hardly notice it was ever there. Thankfully its the only patch of rust on the car bar a piece that had been plated before in the boot floor.

And heres how it sits today.Stuck a set of phase 1 wheels on it that i had from my 206 a while ago.
[Image: 20160325_224201_zpsphfgtpfx.jpg]
[Image: received_1731027827139155_zpswgnvvler.jpeg]
Plans next are
Back axle in to fix my wonky back wheel
Coilovers
Interior
Detailing session to restore the very dull paint (even though it is silver)
Then put it through a test and see how all goes.

Will be updating this as i get bits done after work and at weekends
Fun stuff ahead i guess xD
Thanks given by:
Welcome along. But wow look at that rust!!
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
So where's the bit worth saving? lol Are you just restoring this or do you have bigger plans?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: NaughtonGAA
(26-03-2016, 07:12 AM)Poodle Wrote: So where's the bit worth saving? lol Are you just restoring this or do you have bigger plans?

Plans are to have it tested and using it daily by june. And long term then phase 1 front end conversion or phase 3 still undecided. Drop a dturbo engine into it and spray it bianca white
Thanks given by:
Love a sedan, Plans sound ace !
Thanks given by: NaughtonGAA
Fair play to you, good luck with it!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Love Sedans. Phase 1 it and stance it
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Fair play for saving it, they're all getting scrapped recently, getting rarer and rarer.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
So small update i guess.
Have been waiting on parts but haven't had much time for doing anything with the heap in the shed Tongue
At any rate i got coilovers fitted with new droplinks and top mounts.
[Image: 20160404_201127_zpsdp1n0jdq.jpg]

Also got to taking out the back axle which was going oh so well until one of the copper brake lines seized in the connector, ended up having to cut the pipe, just a matter of recrimping some lines though so not too bad.
Must get this tidied up and fitted tomorrow
[Image: 20160404_201159_zpsu4spjjzl.jpg]

(03-04-2016, 04:24 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Fair play for saving it, they're all getting scrapped recently, getting rarer and rarer.

Cheers
Yeah really like the look of them once they're lowered and that. Simple but it looks good to me anyway.

(03-04-2016, 11:06 AM)Orta Wrote: Love Sedans. Phase 1 it and stance it

Ive been debating on whether to do a phase 3 or phase 1 conversion. Both look good when done right yet both are so different, kind of leaning towards phase 1 atm though.
Thanks given by:
So its been i suppose an eventful few weeks, been pretty busy with work and havent had much time to go at the sedan, however i still made some progress.

Managed to pick up some half leather seats out a 5dr hatch, all doorcards, a passenger side window switch and hdi sideskirts all for 100e, good value i thought.
Stuck on the skirts which look pretty smart i think. No pictures as of yet.

Got the seats put in which was a pain as the mounting points for the sedan and a 5dr are different, i did not know this.
Had to modify them to fit but got there in the end.

Basically ready for testing now and will run it through in the next few weeks and hope it passes.
Once tested itll be lowered and swap my insurance onto it as long as it doesnt cost me an arm and a leg, (being 19 sucks sometimes xD)

Next update will be picture heavy i presume and hopefully with a years ticket too.
Thanks given by: Xsikid
Update ahead.
Since last time a fair bit has happened. I gave the car a full 3 stage one weekend and although there are still marks in the bootlid and both bumpers along with many others throughout the car it is relatively clean for its age i guess.
[Image: 20160514_144906_zpslicoerhh.jpg]
[Image: Snapchat-3534717700148409650_zpsjrxcfchl.jpg]

Im hoping everyone notices that the left side of the tape is after xD
Came up alright in my opinion and made the world of difference to the car.

Next on the list was the interior, unfortunately ive no before pictures, just trust me it was very bad.
[Image: 20160513_165112_zpsv6prxatq.jpg]
Half leather seats picked up along with the hdi skirts for good money too.
Actually made sitting in the car bearable now. I did make the mistake of buying 5dr hatch seats rather than sedan seats and this made fitting the back seats a bit of a job but i managed it albeit a botched job.

After the seats i changed the struts in the boot as the old ones were completely gone, made such a difference and very happy with it.
[Image: 20160513_165039_zpsescso73a.jpg]
[Image: 20160513_165033_zpstoyxn0hh.jpg]

Then came time for test, so i stuck 2 tires on and sent it expecting it to fail on a few things, lo and behold passed no bother. Full years ticket and a very happy man leaving the NCT centre. Got to straight piping it and lowering that evening and this is how it sits now.

[Image: IMG_20160527_104058_zpsr5qgk7fc.jpg]
[Image: 20160525_173118_zps3monum3l.jpg]

Ignore the broken hockey stick theres one on the way. Fairlt happy with the end result tbf. This will be how it sits for the next few months or until it breaks down but next plans are a turbo engine and ph3 conversion in bianca white.

[Image: 20160310_200540_zpscbbtgyup.jpg]
BEFORE

[Image: 20160525_173118_zps3monum3l.jpg]
AFTER
Thanks given by:
Very nice man :-) good to here she passed u get a turbo engine yet or no of one about  Rofl
Thanks given by:
Good job on that mate some time and effort gone into it
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2016, 12:32 PM)pioneer DJ paddy Wrote: Very nice man :-) good to here she passed u get a turbo engine yet or no of one about  Rofl

Yeah wasnt all that confident in it passing tbh. Nope. Seem to be hard enough got lately. Must keep my eyes open though

(30-05-2016, 03:40 PM)tim 306td Wrote: Good job on that mate some time and effort gone into it

Thanks. Its been alright too. So easy to work on these
Thanks given by:
Let me no if can't get one i no were there's a whole 5door with the 1.9 td lump in it  Rofl
Thanks given by:
(31-05-2016, 12:09 PM)pioneer DJ paddy Wrote: Let me no if can't get one i no were there's a whole 5door with the 1.9 td lump in it  Rofl

Going cheap? ?
Thanks given by:
£150-200 should lift the hole car I would say Rofl
Thanks given by:
(01-06-2016, 11:51 AM)pioneer DJ paddy Wrote: £150-200 should lift the hole car I would say Rofl

Is it Bosch? ??
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2016, 11:56 AM)NaughtonGAA Wrote: ..... next plans are a ...... ph3 conversion in bianca white.

Like my old one then?
(excuse the lack of lowering)

Thanks given by:
So been a while since my last update and ive been just enjoying the car in general, well i was for a while anyway.
Few weeks back went out for dinner with herself and noticed on pullingup outside that i had left a small trail of oil behind me. looking under the car i saw a puddle of oil so  i moved the car and looked, gear oil Sad With no other alternative i checked all other fluids and limped home. had a look the next day and confirmed that the driveshaft oil seal had fallen out and along with it all my gear oil. I have no pictures of this unfortunately.
Anyways, on the bright side this was the perfect excuse to change from a straight engine to a Dturbo. Went on the hunt and after looking at a few engines i managed to pick up one i could see running in a car beforehand, 114k miles, nice and dry all seemed ok.

Started on the task of the engine swap, having never done one before i took my time and used masking tape and a biro to mark where everything went.
I used a mixture of parts from the staright d and the Dturbo engines.
Had to use the straight d loom aswell as i had no power to any main components with the turbo loom.
Had to use a 12v activated stop as the old one wouldnt open.

Hit some bumps along the way but all considered went ok.
Did all belts and filters before fitting and drove the car for a week.
Then the tuning came.

While i was happy enough with the power i did want more
Got tuning and along with a boost controller have it running 1.4 bar and happy enough with how it moves at the minute. Not quite the same as driving a hybrid pd but im impressed all the same.
[Image: 20160803_135504_zps8zgqng1w.jpg]

And my boost gauge
[Image: 20160803_135410_zpswuvdrmft.jpg]

While i was at it i also twin piped the car aswell
[Image: 20160803_135336_zpsnvkz41op.jpg]

And thats about it for now, happy with the progress its making and next on the list is a Hdi front and rear and Sprayed in Bianca white
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2016, 01:13 PM)NaughtonGAA Wrote: So been a while since my last update and ive been just enjoying the car in general, well i was for a while anyway.
Few weeks back went out for dinner with herself and noticed on pullingup outside that i had left a small trail of oil behind me. looking under the car i saw a puddle of oil so  i moved the car and looked, gear oil Sad With no other alternative i checked all other fluids and limped home. had a look the next day and confirmed that the driveshaft oil seal had fallen out and along with it all my gear oil. I have no pictures of this unfortunately.
Anyways, on the bright side this was the perfect excuse to change from a straight engine to a Dturbo. Went on the hunt and after looking at a few engines i managed to pick up one i could see running in a car beforehand, 114k miles, nice and dry all seemed ok.

Started on the task of the engine swap, having never done one before i took my time and used masking tape and a biro to mark where everything went.
Had to use the straight d loom aswell as i had no power to any main components with the turbo loom.

Then the tuning came.

Got tuning and along with a boost controller have it running 1.4 bar and happy enough with how it moves at the minute. Not quite the same as driving a hybrid pd but im impressed all the same.

And my boost gauge

And thats about it for now, happy with the progress its making and next on the list is a Hdi front and rear and Sprayed in Bianca white
Good work there well done :-) any pics of the engine in  ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2016, 05:13 PM)pioneer DJ paddy Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 01:13 PM)NaughtonGAA Wrote: So been a while since my last update and ive been just enjoying the car in general, well i was for a while anyway.

Then the tuning came.

And my boost gauge

Good work there well done :-) any pics of the engine in  ThumbsUp

[Image: 20160710_205836_zps37710rbe.jpg]
[Image: 20160710_205842_zpsxpkq8v3k.jpg]
[Image: received_10206934841065168_zps5fgoyeqt.jpeg]
So initial plans were to Dturbo it, and now i guess its Bosch, front mount and a Td04 i think.
First off is Ph3 conversion and a respray though.
Also i dont think id be an irish Dturbo lad if i didnt do this Wink
[Image: Snapchat-8549305218077795933_zpsdd6mbloe...1471812414]
Thanks given by:
Looks good mate ! That stanced life !! Probably would scrape all over the place or not ?
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2016, 10:03 PM)Pingaz Wrote: Looks good mate ! That stanced life !! Probably would scrape all over the place or not ?
Not as bad as youd think. Scrapes on the bigger short speedbumps but apart from that not much else.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Been a few weeks since the last update. Been on a couple of longer journeys in the sedan and ive been really impressed with the turbo engine. When it was straight i averaged around 450 miles to a tank. The turbo engin since tuned has given me 540 and 560 miles from each tank with some town running and a trip to galway and back around 150miles.

I had been on the look for different parts that i could use and came across a set of crystals for good money and bought them £35 brand new.
[Image: b29eb5e873b31c1910a2c0f7cf6b09dc.jpg]

Out with the old and in with the new. Theres a huge difference in light output especially the high beams.
[Image: 2e30eb7ff294bf2a1351a295addf830f.jpg]

Next plans are wind deflectors and light front tints. Still on the lookout for a bosch setup and ph3 bumpers

Thanks given by:
nice work mate, i've got a soft spot for the Sedans . . . . . . get yourself a Bosch on there next Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2016, 07:20 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: nice work mate, i've got a soft spot for the Sedans . . . . . . get yourself a Bosch on there next Smile
Yeah thats the plan pal although having some trouble finding one atm. All in good time i guess [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Thanks given by:
Good work on the car man she's looking well :-) 

As for bosch pump I have one but just not sure whether I wat to sell it at the min until I get my engine up and running I will let u no if want  . has all the mods BT may be u want a standard pump
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2016, 12:43 PM)pioneer DJ paddy Wrote: Good work on the car man she's looking well :-) 

As for bosch pump I have one but just not sure whether I wat to sell it at the min until I get my engine up and running I will let u no if want  . has all the mods BT may be u want a standard pump
All mods sounds good to me. 9mm or 11mm?

Thanks given by:
(01-09-2016, 12:44 PM)NaughtonGAA Wrote:
(01-09-2016, 12:43 PM)pioneer DJ paddy Wrote: Good work on the car man she's looking well :-) 

All mods sounds good to me. 9mm or 11mm?

Ye 11mm LDA grind and gov mod went well on my last car untill the smash :-)
Thanks given by: