Clarion Headunit Hacking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clarion Headunit Hacking
Hi All,

So I still dont know what to do with the Rallye but one of my options is to keep it stock as possible and keep the oem headunit. I dont want to burn things to CD let alone tape. Ive read about hacking headunits etc via the tape or CD changer port so here are my findings on the Clarion PU-1570 C.

[Image: IMG_20160318_173851_zpso73ialoi.jpg]

First of all we need to get access to the circuit boards inside the unit. 2 screws to remove the top panel, 3 screws to remove the rear heatsink, 3 screws to remove the bottom panel and 4 more screws to remove the tape unit.

[Image: IMG_20160324_162127_zpswhrksj8j.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160324_162134_zpsgslrt0fr.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160324_162310_zpsst4op1u6.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160324_163155_zps535fxspf.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160324_163103_zpsvgkfgpug.jpg]

So it turns out there are several ways of hacking this. Obviously you could always get a tape adapter but we want to keep it looking stock and have a proper aux in. 

The first way would be to hack into the tape unit using L Audio, R Audio and Ground which are clearly marked on the side of the unit. The tape section is its own stand alone unit so sends the audio from itself to the main board where the signal is amplified. Hacking in here would be easy as the wires are easily accessible. To play i presume you would need to have it in tape mode although whether you would need to have a tape in it is questionable.

[Image: IMG_20160324_163256_zpsowkg6iir.jpg]

The second way would be to hack directly onto the board however it looks extremely tight and youd have to be a soldering wizard to not mess it up so lets try to keep things simple.

[Image: IMG_20160324_162345_zpssgi4ub6y.jpg]

The third way and what I believe would be the best way would be to tap into the cd changer port. The multi cd changer was an optional extra so it may not even be used. So there are two ways of doing this. You could either splice into your existing cd changer cable which is probably shielded and a pain to do. Or you can remove the cd changer system and fit an aftermarket cd changer to aux cable. They are difficult to find and dont seem to be any in the UK. The issue here is that while many manufacturers share the same DIN style connector the pin outs vary. Whilst doing research I have also found that the pin out between clarion units also varies. I am not trying to identify the correct pin out before continuing.

Ideally it would be as simple as using a cable like this... and just mashing it into the back however I feel that the headunit will need to be fooled that a CD is in the case and is playing. Other tutorials require burning of a "silent cd" which plays in the background with the aux input over the top.

[Image: _121_zpsj7dxdoqd.jpg]

Taking a closer look at the Tape Board I have changed my mind and think that hacking the tape output is now the way forwards. I cant find manuals and pin outs for the unit where as we can be certain of what these wires are. It should be as simple as wiring two cables to ground and then L to L and R to R. I dont think its clever enough to know when its reading a tape.

[Image: IMG_20160324_163256_zpsowkg6iir.jpg]
Thanks given by:
This is really interesting and a great way of going about it. Would love to see if it works.

Anyone that has used the tape>AUX things will know how awful they are.
Thanks given by:
(27-03-2016, 10:26 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: This is really interesting and a great way of going about it. Would love to see if it works.

Anyone that has used the tape>AUX things will know how awful they are.

Lol i used the tape aux things for years without an issue. May do this on lus car to keep an original radio in
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
the reason why tape aux is so rubbish and possibly hacking into the tape deck output is that its a very low level signal before it goes into one of the processors. This amplifies any noise etc so the sound is rubbish. We will see soon though hopefully!
Thanks given by:
Any updates on this?

There is a tape deck coming with my car and I might do this to. I think mine might be a new one and might be able to take the other CD auto changer plug.

I've got a feeling the auto leads adaptor I got in the estate might fit.
Thanks given by:
Nope it's all still in a pile next to my desk. I've fitted my Kenwood for now. My issue is I don't have any of the codes to unlock either of them and I don't want to go to peuegeots and have to pay.
Thanks given by:
If you have the VIN number of the cars the decks came from you can use this guy http://www.peugeotcodes.com/

I've used him a couple of times now for various projects.
Thanks given by:
I may well give that a go.
Thanks given by:
If you decide to solder onto the board where the tape deck is connected, you may have an issue that the stereo will not switch without a tape in the deck. I have never had one of these HUs my self so cant comment but i know some will not let you use the tape deck input unless it detects a tape so what you would have to do is find the signal wire coming from the deck. I bet it will be something really simple like it just goes to ground or has 12v or 5v put up its arse when a tape is inserted.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another Clarion pu2294a(c) thread DeeTurbo 5 4,223 13-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  Clarion pu2294a(c) aux hack Mac5004 27 11,443 09-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Mac5004