Dans 1.4 LX

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dans 1.4 LX
Morning all, just bought a 1.4 LX for my first car, W reg,  shame it wasn't meridian but it was a good deal(£320 but MOT is due in a month) and convinient! It's got 80,000 miles on it and inside looks good. Outside has a lot of lacquer peel, but can be overcome...

Hopefully it'll be a good little project, since there's a few things that need to be done! So gonna need some help! 

Also have to give some credit to The Pun Queen, didn't take much to find you Smile  Have to admit he made me buy my 306 with him driving me in them since about 16 and his 1.8 was certainly something. 

Have a good day! 

Dan

[Image: IMG_20160315_102414_zps7ionwy9l.jpg]
Thanks given by:
looks smart Smile
Thanks given by:
good to have you onboard. You picked up some steelies last night with new tyres so at least that gets you some decent tread.

Plans for this with a limited budget are that... If it passes the MOT which it better do after paying 320 we are going to do a full service which we have budgeted £50 for. All of my red interior plastics can go in this instead of in the bin. Sportex race pipe can probably go on this instead of in the bin. Rocker cover is leaking and could do with a paint which i think i have a decent one lying around. Head unit is rubbish, speakers are stock. Its losing water somewhere but havent found out where yet. Might just be that nobody has filled it up for a long time. Low on PAS and brake fluid so needs topping up. Also has a weird fault with the dash where the fuel gauge bounces from max to min repeatedly. Doesnt affect how the car drives but very annoying.

Also having driven it there is something weird going on with the weird beam as its incredibly rolly. Not sure whats going on but will leave it to the MOT to say whether the beam is bad. Looks to be some camber going on but i dont know anything about 1.4 beams or how they should handle.

Done so far...
Filled up radiator
Fitted steelies with new tyres.

TO DO
Handbrake adjustment
MOT
Full Service - Sparks, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, sump plug washer.
Top Up Fluids - brake and PAS.
Fix dash fault.
Wrap Roof
Fit red interior plastics
Fit replacement front and rear bumpers.

Then really you should be doing a 40mm drop front and rear which is about £100 on the back and £60 for the front.
And some cyclones or wolfrace dragons. Then i think we are onto a good first car and you better pass your test!
Thanks given by:
Will be sick! Topped up the water after the run around last night so it was full and checked this morning there was no spots of water around and looked as if it had kept the same level, so we might be alright! MOT isn't Wednesday as I've just found out, think it's just going to be looked at... Which we've kinda already done.. But he'll be doing the MOT soon after. I'll post the electrical fault later on since its quite a problem...
Thanks given by:
I literally walked past you yesterday pulling out of a driveway on the hill... Small world! lol
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2016, 11:21 AM)HunGr Wrote: Will be sick! Topped up the water after the run around last night so it was full and checked this morning there was no spots of water around and looked as if it had kept the same level, so we might be alright! MOT isn't Wednesday as I've just found out, think it's just going to be looked at... Which we've kinda already done.. But he'll be doing the MOT soon after. I'll post the electrical fault later on since its quite a problem...

how much did it lose in our 25 minutes of driving it around? It doesnt need to be as full as we first filled it. As you saw it spat most of it out of the overflow when it was running.

(15-03-2016, 11:32 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I literally walked past you yesterday pulling out of a driveway on the hill...  Small world! lol

Yeh that will be his granddads house if its down near the pier.
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's the one! I saw this at the previous owners house a few times as well, I still seem to have 306 radar lol.

2 things I noticed, first those wheels look much better in person than in pics. And it smelt properly rich, may just be that it hasn't been driven for a while but don't be surprised if emissions are a bit high on MOT.
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2016, 11:42 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Yeah that's the one!  I saw this at the previous owners house a few times as well, I still seem to have 306 radar lol.

2 things I noticed, first those wheels look much better in person than in pics.  And it smelt properly rich, may just be that it hasn't been driven for a while but don't be surprised if emissions are a bit high on MOT.

i saw a car... it smelt rich. Your 306 radar is very strong! I drove it last night and it seemed okay just gutless. Didnt smell fuelly at all. I think its been standing for a while. 14s just look lost and the arch gap is horrendous. With MOT done i think itll be time for some cyclones and hopefully a bit of a drop.
Thanks given by:
Lol, I walk past lots of cars, don't take note of most of them! Tongue Except that poor neglected 205 workhorse further up the hill... Confused Someones had their moneys worth out of that!!

Arch gap is always bad as standard, didn't even realise they were 14s though, could've passed for 15s at a glance lol. You won't be able to lower it with new driver insurance for a sensible price... Been there, done that. Dodgy
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2016, 12:05 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Lol, I walk past lots of cars, don't take note of most of them! Tongue  Except that poor neglected 205 workhorse further up the hill... Confused  Someones had their moneys worth out of that!!

Arch gap is always bad as standard, didn't even realise they were 14s though, could've passed for 15s at a glance lol.  You won't be able to lower it with new driver insurance for a sensible price...  Been there, done that. Dodgy

Yeh they are 14s that came on 206 i think. I thought it had a brake upgrade but actually its just the wheels are so small it makes the 247mms look big! Ive got some spare 6 brakes so they may make their way onto this.
Thanks given by:
[Image: Photo-0014-1.jpg]

Is it on 247s? Even 1.4s had 266s at X reg but not sure if W or X was the crossover.

I really would be careful doing mods with insurance though.
Thanks given by:
Sorry for formatting and quoting but I'm on my phone and haven't figured it out.. Lost about a jug and a half, of the same jug we used...

Tis a very small world indeed I know the one up the hill, always in the same place.. you seen the white 205 convertible aswell?

And honestly don't know what brakes it's on...

Insurance will be really high anyway but hopefully be able to get it down to about 1200, maybe less... so slamming it might be an issue...
Thanks given by:
doesnt need to be slammed just a bit lower so it doesnt look so silly and the handling is better.

A jug and a half is a fair bit but i bet there was air in the system as it was so low before. Just keep an eye on it and keep it within a few inches of the top of the rad.
Thanks given by:
Hmm, can't think of the white one, I'll keep an eye out for it though lol.
Thanks given by:
My plan aswell!

Yeah, should be able to hear it aswell [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
Thanks given by:
So whats the latest then Dan? Tongue
Thanks given by:
Have you broke it already lol? lol
Thanks given by:
Well, I didn't break it... It was already broke... (Silly me) Took it to a guy who had a look a look at it and he said the rear beam does need replacing... We confirmed this by nearly rolling it earlier this evening...

He also found the reason why there was no water in the radiator... The car spat it all out the pressure cap, so with that and the oil Brown, and radiator also full of sludge the head gasket is blown...
Thanks given by:
Oops... Guess that explains why it had been up for sale so long! Confused

Are you gonna fix it or look for a better one?
Thanks given by:
I got back in touch with the owner and he very kindly offered to buy the car back for what I bought it for, since he didn't know about the problems and he'll deal with it as he wishes, he doesn't have the money to repair it...

I got quoted £450 for a replacement and fitting of the beam and gasket, but im sure if look around I can find another 1.4 that works and looks better!

Did cross my mind to try and do it myself since gasket is 90% labour, but yeah... Not gonna do that... Rear beam, could do, but again I've had no experience...
Thanks given by:
Ah that's a reasonable result tbh, I'm sure you can find a better one!
Thanks given by:
Done! The search for a better 1.4 begins! Location in East Anglia, decent paint, under 700.
Thanks given by:
Decent engine and beam is probably a priority over paint... Tongue
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2016, 09:20 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Decent engine and beam is probably a priority over paint... Tongue

think thats given really!

https://www.gumtree.com/p/peugeot/peugeo...1158178105

https://www.gumtree.com/p/peugeot/2001-p...1159845750

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-306-1-...Swxp9W4BjE

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-306-1-...SwFqJWthLC

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-Y-Peugeot...SwyjBW2qQJ

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-Peugeot-3...SwPYZU-G73
Thanks given by:
Quick update, have looked around and at the cars above which I've seen before but kinda discarded because actually being able to go view the cars is a pain... Don't really have 8hrs spare to drive to Leeds and back...

So I've reconsidered and thought about buying the car for the scrap price off the owner instead... He said he got quoted 120£ for scrap, but I doubt that'll be the case now, but therefore getting 200£ back. Scrap could be less. So with that could repair the car for £450 as I got quoted but am waiting on another quote. Totalling 570£(maximum) which ain't bad. Guess I can source a new bonnet, front and rear bumper so it'll look a little nicer when it comes to selling it. Will save me bare effort and keeps the memory of that car alive! Reckon it's worth it? Thoughts?
Thanks given by:
So... I severely doubt he will get £120 for a scrap 1.4. I would say he will get £40 but im sure others will chip in with their estimates soon.

Youve got 3 options...

1) you take the money and run like hell and get one with decent paint and a good engine and beam... probably about £700 and then youve got the cost of seeing the car and taking out your tax and insurance again...

2) you can offer him the 120 and then pay the 450 for it to be fixed... in which case you have a working but lacquer peely 1.4 for £570 which isnt bad.

3) wait for him to realise he wont get £120 scrap... say he gets offered £40... offer him £50 then do the work for £450 and youve saved £70 over option 2.

to be honest either options will work... its your first car... its not going to be great and i know youve got a budget. You dont want to annoy the seller... but you could suggest that you match the scrap value...

what does everyone else think?
Thanks given by:
Quick update on this special little car! Ended up getting 120£ back so bought it for 200£... Not a great deal but heyho and decided not to scrap it.

Sam and I started on the car and replaced the interior which looks a lot better! And replaced the dash so I have one that works and added some interior red trim from his old diablo Smile
Sam has some photos I think!

But the major problems hadn't been touched. The rear beam needed replacing and the head gasket had also gone. So today, Tom and I set about fixing it!

We started, in the rain, with the head and had a few little hitches but nothing major and eventually got the head off! Strange we had 2 auxiliary belts which both need replacing along with the cambelt. But after removing the head what we saw next was pretty incredible...

[Image: 4cf078902cf748d2d76c58fa78155580.jpg]

We then cleaned it up, and left the actual head for the shop to clean up and check.

Then started on the rear beam. No major hold ups, nothing was really seized so everything came off pretty simply and we salvaged the brake lines from the drum beam and put them on the disk beam with the compensator aswell, which was strange. However, changing the shock was a bit of fun, had to jump on the beam to fit it Smile

[Image: f2bb1ba15cf7d81361b49be6f2acf930.jpg]

[Image: 31642ba9231763fe17e4f6dce0d494f0.jpg]

Still need to put on the callipers but they're ready to go on with the new handbrake cables. Just need the unions to be delivered for the extra brake lines and the new nipples, which was a gamble, hope they're the right ones!

Things still to do:
Order and fit the new head gasket.
Callipers need cleaning up and spray-painting then fitting, along with new pads.
Fit new handbrake cables.
Make up brake lines.
Think I'm losing some brake fluid from somewhere so need to source that.
Then the MOT.

Think I've covered everything to get the car on the road. The rest is all aesthetic and can be done at a later date!

Fun times!!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I cant believe that this has 2 aux belts. I havent seen a tu like that. And i dont know why the beam has a compensator on a ph3 either. Its all very strange this car! That gasket is so bad. Hopefully the head will be okay.

Picking up some really good cyclones with usable tyres for this tomorrow night! Will look so much better and im pretty jealous of the clones myself...
Thanks given by:
I guess it's just a late registered parts bin special, is odd though.

One belt does PAS and AC with a manual tensioner, the other just does the alternator with no tensioner.

As for a load compensator on a ph3...and with drums...I've got no idea what's happened there lol. All seemed original though so we swapped it onto the disc beam. After the hassle on your Rallye beam I knew the short-cut for doing it on this! Keep all brake lines in the comp, anmd the comp on the 'arm', undo solid lines from flexis and swap the whole arm and comp assembly as one.
Thanks given by:
Nice to see a local member

Be decent car once them bits are done.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by: