WiNgNuTz's 407 SW

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WiNgNuTz's 407 SW
Most of you probably are aware of the fact I got sick and tired of the 306 estate and it's many, many problems. Thanks to a couple of family members, I cobbled together enough money to purchase a 407 SW se 2.0HDi 16v (136bhp) for the cool sum of £895. Got a few little niggly problems, and the MOT is due mid Feb, but it's already proved itself to be far superior to the 306. A few more horses in standard form, much nicer interior, and its so quiet! 

And because these threads are useless without pics, here are some.

Old and new:

[Image: P1050797_zpsb7ezyiin.jpg]

[Image: P1050798_zpsrfqurp6q.jpg]

It has a few dinks, broken bits and paint issues....as well as some dubiously fitted reversing sensors...

[Image: P1050799_zpsqzegeuky.jpg]

[Image: P1050801_zpsutli5imv.jpg]

[Image: P1050811_zpsv0fciwbj.jpg]

Someone obviously parked by feel too... (not the worst I've ever seen, but could be better...good excuse to refurb them though)

[Image: P1050812_zpsdzpfmf02.jpg]

On to the interior, much nicer than the 306 IMO:

[Image: P1050808_zpsl1bhrmgs.jpg]

Broken arm rest...shouldn't be too difficult to replace (someone was also a big fan of superglue Confused )

[Image: P1050804_zpsu6xfxv0r.jpg]

[Image: P1050805_zpsqkphxj45.jpg]

Oh, and what do we have here?

[Image: P1050806_zps1ji7mllv.jpg]

That's right......a CUP HOLDER! *weneedashockedsmiley* lol

[Image: P1050807_zpst2u0tfz0.jpg]

There's two more in the back as well! Couldn't believe it. Wink
Also loving the panoramic sunroof:

[Image: P1050809_zpstogipxgq.jpg]

But, like any French car, there are downsides. There is an issue with the rear right light cluster, could be an earth problem, all the bulbs work fine as they should, but the computer keeps throwing bulb errors at me, should be a simple fix though according to 407owners. Also, the previous owner was a plumber, and apparently one of his drills caught fire in the boot, causing some superficial melty trim damage:

[Image: P1050802_zpsaf7lphg8.jpg]

[Image: P1050803_zpsvp11acxu.jpg]

Excuse the work kit already in the boot, was halfway through swapping stuff between cars. Wink
Roof lining took a slight battering in the fire too, though as you can see, the guy obviously caught it quite quickly, easily could have taken the whole car IMO.

[Image: P1050810_zpsjc3h5sph.jpg]

Other than that, it's a pretty tidy example, I'm well chuffed with it, think I actually got a bit of a bargain, even with the minor issues it has....whatever way you look at it though, it's far better than the 306 was. ThumbsUp
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks nice! Let me know how you get on with that engine.... looking to buy a 307 XSI HDI 136 shortly to replace my HDI!
Thanks given by:
It's a really nice engine tbh, no problems so far, and this ones on just over 130k. Good bit of poke, I'm sure it'll be even nicer after a cheeky remap! ninja

However, I will be keeping this one mostly standard, might do a couple of subtle mods like debadging, maybe some nicer wheels....who knows. One thing that won't be happening, is any form of lows. Been there, scraped that, want something more sensible now, and the ride is gorgeous and smooth as it is, so I don't really want to ruin it. Did pretty well on a little B-road blast as well the other night, but I wasn't pushing it too hard as I've obviously not had it long, and it was hissing it down. Wink
Thanks given by:
Certainly got potential, get the interior sorted & it'll be a decent car
Thanks given by:
That's the plan basically Jordan, should be able to get all the replacement parts I need, seem to be a fair few of these being broken on ebay.
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2016, 08:19 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: On to the interior, much nicer than the 306 IMO:

[Image: P1050808_zpsl1bhrmgs.jpg]

Looks like a chuffing Vauxhall Interior? 

How many miles has it done?
Thanks given by:
Yeah that Peugeot lion looks very much like a Vauxhall griffin!
Thanks given by:
It does look like a good buy! Will be sweet when all the little things are sorted! Interior ad build quality looks miles apart compared to the 306! Any quicker than your stage 1 HDI estate or about on par? And guessing it gets a few MPG less too?
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2016, 08:59 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: Looks like a chuffing Vauxhall Interior? 

How many miles has it done?

Thanks for reading all the comments, I did say already. Tongue

It's done just over 130k. Smile

(30-01-2016, 09:06 PM)MY95 Wrote: It does look like a good buy! Will be sweet when all the little things are sorted! Interior ad build quality looks miles apart compared to the 306! Any quicker than your stage 1 HDI estate or about on par? And guessing it gets a few MPG less too?

Haven't had it long enough to comment on the MPG as yet, and I'm too busy playing with the extra 8 valves to get a sensible reading either. Itwasntme

The 306 was standard map, so yeah it's quicker by a long shot! Loving it! Got a couple of long runs coming up over the next few weeks, will be good to see how it'll do. Smile
Thanks given by:
It was the standard HDI 90? Just went through your original thread and cant see any mention of a stage 1 anywhere, thought it was though lol
16 valves would be sweet and have a much smoother but still torquey power delivery id expect! Will be interesting to see what MPG figures you get!
Would love to see what one is like compared to a stage 1, I think it would be ahead but not miles ahead.
Thanks given by:
Well it's 136bhp standard, and a Stage 1 306 would be 125ish, so still a bit pokier I should imagine. The 306 was apparently making about 100bhp, but on a standard map with just a decat as a mod. I never had it dyno'd, but I guess the previous owner did for some reason. If by any chance you ever find yourself down my way (doubt it though, you're the other end of the country!), you'd be welcome to give it a quick blast to compare. Wink
Thanks given by:
It was all going so well until the fire part!
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2016, 09:26 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Well it's 136bhp standard, and a Stage 1 306 would be 125ish, so still a bit pokier I should imagine. The 306 was apparently making about 100bhp, but on a standard map with just a decat as a mod. I never had it dyno'd, but I guess the previous owner did for some reason. If by any chance you ever find yourself down my way (doubt it though, you're the other end of the country!), you'd be welcome to give it a quick blast to compare. Wink

All that extra weight though  Tongue Ah sweet, why did you never get it remapped? I couldn't live with a standard 90 again lol  
That would be sweet thanks for the offer! Wont be down your way other than Pugfest and maybe French car show if your taking it up the hill or to FCS lol
Thanks given by:
Hoping to make it to FCS tbh, that could be your chance if you're coming? Never had the 306 remapped because I was always busy fixing other bits, always wanted to get it done though.

EDIT: Weight is also affected by the fact I'm permanently carrying work gear around in the boot as well. Wink
Thanks given by:
If your going to FCS send me an inbox and will pop down, still undecided on whether to go or not yet aha!
Defo going to Pugfest as it was great last year, just not enough time in the day to do as many runs as you'd like lol
I see, ah fair enough, I carry very little usually haha Smile
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2016, 09:26 PM)Eeyore Wrote: It was all going so well until the fire part!

Meh, at the end of the day, it's only really a few trim pieces that have suffered, shouldn't be too difficult to replace. Wink
Thanks given by:
These aint bad to drive tbh.
I maintain one for a fwend.

Bottom ball joints/bearings are a common failure on the front...bit of a pig to do
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2016, 09:40 PM)MY95 Wrote: If your going to FCS send me an inbox and will pop down, still undecided on whether to go or not yet aha!
Defo going to Pugfest as it was great last year, just not enough time in the day to do as many runs as you'd like lol
I see, ah fair enough, I carry very little usually haha Smile

Hmm, was quite tempted to sack FCS off and just do Pugfest tbh, but FCS will be closer. I'll let you know closer to the time. Smile

(30-01-2016, 09:42 PM)Piggy Wrote: These aint bad to drive tbh.

Bottom ball joints/bearings are a common failure on the front...bit of a pig to do

Yeah I'm well chuffed with it, it's like driving a cloud after having had the slammed 306 for so long! lol

And I'm thinking I may well just take it to the garage when it needs work done from now on, as much as I enjoyed working on the 306's sometimes (more the DT than the estate though), I'd rather have it done properly by someone that knows what they're doing, especially as it's my work/family transport, so is in constant use.
Thanks given by: MY95
Looks good,definitely come down in price over the last few years,I'm tempted as daily,either that or a saab like rowells
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
I realy like these, for some reason!

Wait till you get to working AC in the summer, the usual "it's not needed cos mine is broken" 306 owner attitude may change!!
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2016, 09:01 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Yeah that Peugeot lion looks very much like a Vauxhall griffin!

Lol, he's right though, boring, silver, square blocks look exactly the same as mid 00s Vauxhalls! lol

Looks like a decent upgrade over the 306 heap anyway Steve, shame about the fire but hopefully that's easily sorted. I'm gonna guess there is a rear light/wiring fault caused by the fire that's causing your bulb issues atm. Otherwise looks nice, they are huge though, not sure I'd want to be parallel parking one haha. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(31-01-2016, 07:26 AM)cpikey316_ Wrote: I realy like these, for some reason!

Wait till you get to working AC in the summer, the usual "it's not needed cos mine is broken" 306 owner attitude may change!!
the cruise control and the panoramic sunroof will be loved dearly too! Just don't let the kid/kids near the button for the roof blind or it will no doubt break!
Thanks given by:
want a good bonnet and front bumper and leathrr seats for one?
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:

And if the ball joints do go make sure you don't let them go on for too long as you'll be replacing the complete hub due to wear on the part of the hub the bearing part sits on.

Also ABS sensors seem to be a common issue on these, certainly not a bad old bus though these
Thanks given by:

Lol, yeah I already figured that, the dual zone climate control is very nice.

And tbh, the more I look at it and drive it, the more I love it!

(31-01-2016, 09:10 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(30-01-2016, 09:01 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Yeah that Peugeot lion looks very much like a Vauxhall griffin!

Lol, he's right though, boring, silver, square blocks look exactly the same as mid 00s Vauxhalls! lol

Looks like a decent upgrade over the 306 heap anyway Steve, shame about the fire but hopefully that's easily sorted.  I'm gonna guess there is a rear light/wiring fault caused by the fire that's causing your bulb issues atm.  Otherwise looks nice, they are huge though, not sure I'd want to be parallel parking one haha. Big Grin

I don't care how boring and square it is, or even if it looks like a Vauxhall, I like it. Tongue

As for the rear light fault, I think (touch wood) it's fixed. Cleaned the connector to the light unit up, sprayed with a bit of WD40, and replaced, and I also cleaned the terminals on the battery up, there was a lot of gunk around the negative terminal. Wink

As for the size, it's actually really easy to parallel park, the reversing sensors do help, though they're probably cheap ones from ebay, poorly fitted, as they can't be relied on fully, need coupling with a bit of observation and common sense. lol

(31-01-2016, 10:07 AM)Redordead89 Wrote:

the cruise control and the panoramic sunroof will be loved dearly too! Just don't let the kid/kids near the button for the roof blind or it will no doubt break!

Well, the twins are 10 now, so will be told in no uncertain terms not to dick around with the buttons, and Hallie is only 6 months, so she won't be able to reach the buttons for some time. Wink

(31-01-2016, 10:24 AM)welshpug Wrote: want a good bonnet and front bumper and leathrr seats for one?

Bonnet and front bumper are alright on this one thanks, I'm half tempted by the leather seats though...shame I'm broke for the foreseeable future, especially as I need to pay my family back for the loans to get this. Wink Current seats are comfy enough for the time being....I'm not planning any mods at all really, hence I didn't make a project thread.

(31-01-2016, 10:37 AM)Frosty Wrote:

And if the ball joints do go make sure you don't let them go on for too long as you'll be replacing the complete hub due to wear on the part of the hub the bearing part sits on.

Also ABS sensors seem to be a common issue on these, certainly not a bad old bus though these

Like I said above, when I get any issues with this one, I'm likely to just take it to the garage to have the work done...more expensive I know, but at least it gets done properly. Wink

As for ABS sensors, not sure that's what I've got a problem with, apparently these have tyre pressure sensors as well, and I'm either missing one or it's failed, as the car reckons I have a puncture....which I don't. Gonna check the pressures today anyway as I didnt get round to it yesterday.
Thanks given by:
Yeah they do have the tyre pressure monitors that are part of the tyre valves that can be a pain. When you do the tyre pressures look to see if any of the valves look like normal 1s cuz they shouldn't, though im pretty sure the monitoring system can be turned off using peugeot planet.
Thanks given by:
(31-01-2016, 10:46 AM)Frosty Wrote: Yeah they do have the tyre pressure monitors that are part of the tyre valves that can be a pain. When you do the tyre pressures look to see if any of the valves look like normal 1s cuz they shouldn't, though im pretty sure the monitoring system can be turned off using peugeot planet.

Nice one, yeah I'll have a look for that then. And yes, according to 407owners the sensors can be disabled with PP, their nearest members to me are in Folkestone or Burgess Hill, both just over an hour away.
Thanks given by:
Not my cup of tea at all mate but I'm glad you like it and hope it stays reliable for you.
I get what you say about daily drivers getting run into the ground, my transit needs a good couple of days spending on it but it can't be off the road for a couple of days so just gets basic maintenance to stop it from dying.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by: