Bonnet cable repair/replace

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bonnet cable repair/replace
My bonnet release cable has broken, basically all that has happened is the very end of it which fits into the release handle in the cabin has broken off. I can still see the end of the cable and can open the bonnet by pulling on it with pliers.

Has anyone got any bright ideas on how this might be reattached to the release handle?

Failing that, how easy is it to replace by tying a new one on the end or a string on the end and then to the new one and threading it through? Will it get snagged etc?

Thanks
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I just refitted the front trim panel that covers the bonnet release mech, at the bonnet end, and it has a cast on end from memory ( it was only a few hours ago and I cant remember exactly fgs ) .

The cable is a multi strand wire.

Does the cabin end have a round nipple like a bike brake cable nipple??

If so, you may be able to feed a long one of those into the inner cable, and sort at the bonnet end??

I bet the new complete cable is a PITA to fit?
Thanks given by:
The end on the slam panel is okay. The other end has just broken off of the release handle in the cabin. I don't know what was on the end as now I just have a frayed cable end.

Not sure if there's a fitting I could tack weld back on or anything or whether it really is a replacement job.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Is the broken bit on the floor, or is there a nipple left in the release handle??
Thanks given by:
I couldn't find anything unfortunately.
I'll be taking another look tomorrow.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
If I remember right the end of the cable is moulded into the handle. I think if you pop the wiper motor off you get access to the ball grommet under there.

Like you say best way to fit the new one would be to tie a string to the bonnet end and pull the old one through. When I did it the end did get caught in a couple of places but if you push then pull again it will unhook its self.
Thanks given by:
That's what I'm going to do. I have ordered a new genuine one.

Thanks for the tip about the wiper motor. I was going to remove it to get all the leaves and gunk out anyway so I guess that will be two jobs in one!

Project Thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master brake cylinder -replace or re-seal? Beanie 20 3,138 14-09-2015, 05:14 AM
Last Post: Beanie
  Replace 205 Roof Skin Daniel306 0 784 27-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Daniel306
  Window got smashed. How to replace? Darren123 6 1,764 15-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Darren123