Decent Low Budget Smart Phone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decent Low Budget Smart Phone?
(26-12-2015, 01:40 PM)Niall Wrote: tbh im not convinced any phones are made to last 4 years Tom. Even the most expensive of them out there. Pretty sure they make them to wear out at 2 years just so you renew a contract lol

nothing is made to last now
Thanks given by:
True
Thanks given by:
(27-12-2015, 12:53 PM)ginge191 Wrote: As much as i hate the place - CEX could get you an iPhone 5s or similar for your budget

CeX now do 24 months free warranty on all items.
Thanks given by:
Even if the phone physically lasted for four years the internal components would not be up to date running the latest apps. Its a big issue with apps needing more power and being bloated. Having more power doesn't entice developers to make good apps... It means they can be bloaty
Thanks given by:
"decent" "low budget" and "smart phone" don't exist in same sentence
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: Matt-Rallye
(28-12-2015, 10:42 AM)Piggy Wrote: "decent" "low budget" and "smart phone" don't exist in same sentence

Yeah it does! As the posts from Me and Matt Cheese the Nokia 630/635 is great and cheap.
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2015, 10:42 AM)Piggy Wrote: "decent" "low budget" and "smart phone" don't exist in same sentence

ha good one. of course they can. especially seeing as the budget is 150. if it was sub 100 it would be more of a challenge.

tom ive searched for nexus 5s on ebay and for £108 id very much recommend one of these! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-LG-Google-...Sw3ydVyHn4
Thanks given by:
I've had a MotoG for coming up for 3 years now and it's been bloody good. It's a 2nd gen, and is getting a little slow now, but still usable. No intention of replacing it particularly soon, but when I do another MotoG will certainly be on the shortlist.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:

Why not? People have differing opinions and needs in a phone... I'm not expecting a £100 Android phone to match a £600 iPhone...but equally I don't want something slow and shit that only lasts 6 months and takes potato pictures. It will of course be a compromise lol.

I'm heading into town tomorrow so will have a look at some that have been mentioned in the flesh. Smile
Thanks given by:

Yes they do. Manufacturers even re-release old phones with slightly updated hardware and sell them for cheap. I bought a samsung galaxy S2 plus for cheap a couple of years ago, when the latest samsung was the 4, so it was actually a re-released top of the range phone from two years ago, so hardly rubbish.

On that note, a samsung galaxy A3 is 179 or you can pay in 7  pounds per month installments sim unlocked I believe:

https://www.giffgaff.com/samsung/samsung...ne-details
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Piggy you couldn't be more wrong!

Tom, have you ever had a play with an iPhone? I think one would suit your needs. They tend to be more reliable than android, less laggy and more stable.

If you're set on having new, the Nokia as Chris said is a safe bet. As I mentioned, Amber is even considering one now over her iPhone 5S!
Thanks given by:
Another call here on the nokia lumia's damn nigh bullet proof, great value for money and don't look outa place with other smart phones
Thanks given by:
I haven't had a play with any yet lol, was supposed to this morning but slept in. Confused Now off to see my Dad as it's his birthday. He has an iPhone though so I guess I could ask if he likes it. lol I don't trust myself playing with other peoples phones though. Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2015, 09:11 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: Piggy you couldn't be more wrong!

Tom, have you ever had a play with an iPhone? I think one would suit your needs. They tend to be more reliable than android, less laggy and more stable.

If you're set on having new, the Nokia as Chris said is a safe bet. As I mentioned, Amber is even considering one now over her iPhone 5S!

Id agree here not so much on the more reliable part though. I think a iPhone would suit Tom due to the simplicity of them but if he's adamant on buying new, he won't get any iPhone for his budget.
I would seriously consider second hand Tom. You'll get a lot more for your money.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Problem with second hand is stuff is always ruined by previous owners. And when it breaks through age or previous heavy use there's no warranty on it and you're left with a broken item and having to pay to repair it. I always prefer to save up and buy new where possible now, only thing I can't do that with is cars and look how well that goes! lol
Thanks given by:
Steve just said you get 24 months warranty at CEX now, that's decent!
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2015, 09:11 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: Tom, have you ever had a play with an iPhone? I think one would suit your needs. They tend to be more reliable than android, less laggy and more stable.

If you spend the same amount of money on an android phone as you would on an iphone then it wont be laggy. You get what you pay for in all cases.

mate seriously get the nexus 5 i linked. £108 is a bargain. compare the specs and you probably wont find anything like it for under £250.
Thanks given by:
G3 is a good phone tbf.. Mines even fell 15ft out of my pocket and didnt smash lol no idea how.. Lasted about 20 months so far
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2015, 09:44 AM)Eeyore Wrote:
(29-12-2015, 09:11 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: Tom, have you ever had a play with an iPhone? I think one would suit your needs. They tend to be more reliable than android, less laggy and more stable.

If you spend the same amount of money on an android phone as you would on an iphone then it wont be laggy. You get what you pay for in all cases.

Exactly! People often compare cheap androids to iPhones. If you spend the same amount of money on an android phone, as an iPhone, you will get a much better phone.
Apple uses older hardware and charges alot for their logo. And iPhones are not more reliable than others. We have more services on iPhones than anything else.
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2015, 03:53 PM)Iaitoo Wrote:

Exactly! People often compare cheap androids to iPhones. If you spend the same amount of money on an android phone, as an iPhone, you will get a much better phone.
Apple uses older hardware and charges alot for their logo. And iPhones are not more reliable than others. We have more services on iPhones than anything else.

I made a 12 year old cry when I showed her that my 2 year old Samsung has a better processor than her new iPhone.  Rofl
Thanks given by:

We have more services on iPhones than anything else.

Just goes to show how popular they are I suppose, well done pointing it out! Wink

As I say, I have an iPhone 6 and a Samsung Galaxy S3 (I think? It's white and the back is sort of textured, leather almost. Has a stylus you pull out the bottom) and its shit. I use it as little as possible, battery life is awful.. Needs charging end of every shift even if I leave it untouched all day on standby whereas the iPhone I can use for hours and it still outlasts it. I've had a 3, 4, 5 and 6 now and never had any problems with any of them.

I would however have a Lumia if given the chance, never an android again though.
Thanks given by:
Another shout for Iphone here Smile my trusty 4S lasted me an entire 2 year contract without getting smashed or dying, keep it updated regularly and it doesnt get laggy etc Smile

Only just upgraded too a 6S now and that seems a cracking phone but possibly abit thin / more fragile but time will tell i guess
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2015, 05:10 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:

We have more services on iPhones than anything else.

Just goes to show how popular they are I suppose, well done pointing it out! Wink

Not our most sold brand actually Wink
But they aren't bad phones. Just costly for low spec hardware.
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2015, 06:37 PM)Iaitoo Wrote: Just costly for low spec hardware.

That is everything apple.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I went to look at some today but the shop was empty so an assistant talked to me...I got scared and left. Confused lol
Thanks given by:
Hmm, comparing phones online and just noticed both the Lumia and the Moto G use a 'micro' sim, does that mean I won't be able to keep my current sim with a new phone? Confused Sad

Also, the G3 doesn't come with a wall charger (tight bastards!), could I use their USB cable in the HTC USB>mains adapter or do they stop that somehow?

Edit - By G3 I meant Moto G...too many fecking 'G's in phone names. Confused
Thanks given by:
Most phones use a micro or nano sim now, you can request a new sim from your network provider
Thanks given by:
Sigh, that means having to change numbers and transferring all my contacts manually (yes all 4 of them lol). Dodgy
Thanks given by:
No you can keep the number.
Thanks given by:
Already on the new card? Last time I had to go through hassle to change the new one to the current number, and then again after they buggered it up first time. Confused
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  'smart fone' options Magenta Sunset 21 3,901 01-02-2017, 04:30 AM
Last Post: Dave
  £200 Budget Bucket Seat silverzx 31 14,139 30-07-2015, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Nathan1305
  Smart HDTV Advice silverzx 20 4,101 22-07-2015, 09:30 PM
Last Post: r3k1355