More Economical

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Economical
(24-11-2015, 09:44 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote: Yeah I like piggy' response haha I may have to start doing that can I just chuck a few bottles in with derv so I don't have issues starting it?

(24-11-2015, 06:41 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Smaller engine and drive more gently (to a point).

Maybe get the train or a 125 motorbike.

Maybe don't move 60 miles away from work if you cant afford the commute?

Real world there isn't alot that makes a difference (poodle is the expert) but stripping the car will see about 10% better, changing your shifts so you don't drive at rush hour can save a fair chunk. Limiting yourself to 60 rather than 70 is worth maybe another 5-10% and narrower tyres can be effective but I wouldn't like to say how much.

Don't think 125' can be used on motorways? And it's not that I can't afford it just would like to get the most out the car Smile luckily I have changed my shifts so that will make it easier

125 can be used on the motorway not sure if there are restrictions on provisional and cbt holders as I have a full bike licence.

Use fresh veg from Costco or macro.  Crrently 12.49 for 20 litres. 

I used 75%veg 25%diesel in winter ran like a bag of nails till it was warm, was fine from there, and ran well.. remember to change the filter after a thousand miles as veg tends to strip all of the shit off the lines and tank clogging it.. be fine after the change

Buy veg from Tesco when it's 2 for £8 as well..

Look into your tyres,  right pressures but also some of the more eco rated ones are good.. most of the top brands will have them.  

Well maintained engine and car makes all the difference too.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2015, 12:59 PM)toseland Wrote: Well maintained engine and car makes all the difference too.

Can't stress this enough, clean air filter and oil, good bushes and free brakes are worth 10mpg on most diesels. 

If you're interested in modding for economy then it's pretty much as others have suggested: longer gearbox, reduce weight, lowering, etc. If you want to go mad then full undertrays, advancing the timing, fmic, straight-through exhaust and lightweight race wheels are in order.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I saved so much on my rent when i moved from brizzle to gloucester i could afford to commute in my volvo (~28mpg)  ... if only my missus was working not studying

The gti wont last long out in the open round barton st Rofl
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2015, 02:31 PM)thododd Wrote: I saved so much on my rent when i moved from brizzle to gloucester i could afford to commute in my volvo (~28mpg)  ... if only my missus was working not studying

The gti wont last long out in the open round barton st  Rofl

I'm keeping the GTi6 in Bristol for this reason lol I'm moving just off Barton street
Thanks given by:
stick the 6 on omex job done!
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
veg still no good for HDi's?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2015, 06:20 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: veg still no good for HDi's?

nope

best advice... dont have a 2.8 turbo. Many monies... Ive spent just under £4000 in the past year on petrol :/
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2015, 02:30 PM)Poodle Wrote: If you want to go mad then full undertrays,

Do undertrays really make a noticeable difference to mpg? I've wrecked my front one (not the main one, the one between rad and bumper) and been wondering if it'll make a noticeable difference to mpg... I've had worse mpg since it got damaged (turns out there isn't the foot of ground clearance I thought there was lol) but I've persuaded myself it's just a coincidence tbh. They're not cheap to replace and all at the scrap yards are smashed as well. Confused
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2015, 02:30 PM)Poodle Wrote:
(24-11-2015, 12:59 PM)toseland Wrote: Well maintained engine and car makes all the difference too.

Can't stress this enough, clean air filter and oil, good bushes and free brakes are worth 10mpg on most diesels. 

If you're interested in modding for economy then it's pretty much as others have suggested: longer gearbox, reduce weight, lowering, etc. If you want to go mad then full undertrays, advancing the timing, fmic, straight-through exhaust and lightweight race wheels are in order.

Basically what you have described there is a race car and all of our modified cars which have been modified like this should actually be praised for saving the planet, being cheap to run and eco friendly.
Ill use that to justify it to the missus next time she kicks off lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2015, 06:17 PM)Stef205 Wrote: stick the 6 on omex job done!

Totally would but I can imagine it's pricy?

(24-11-2015, 06:32 PM)Eeyore Wrote:
(24-11-2015, 06:20 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: veg still no good for HDi's?

nope

best advice... dont have a 2.8 turbo. Many monies... Ive spent just under £4000 in the past year on petrol :/

Wow! That's crazy! Could run a throttle bodied 6/Rallye daily for that
Thanks given by:
The stock undertray will give you a couple of mpg if it's all together and tightly fastened, hence why the underneath of all new cars is so smooth.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Hmm, maybe I will replace it then!

I don't understand why they leave the rear though, rear bumpers must act like a parachute catching the wind! Its even visible if you look at some newer cars with cheap thin rear bumpers flapping around on the motorway lol. Confused
Thanks given by:
once moving that area of air is stationary, hence most not bothering to close the area off, the nose of the car is very turbulent area so smoothing that out makes much more difference.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Yeah as above, that whole parachute thing is a myth.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ah that's interesting to know!
Thanks given by:
However for us after development users...making a quick undertray be easier than designing a new smooth front end!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Gaffa tape. Wink

But seriously, yes, front undertray will make a significant difference and be much easier to engineer.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(24-11-2015, 09:44 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote: Don't think 125' can be used on motorways?
They can but not on L plates however the A38 runs alongside the motorway the whole way from Bristol to Gloucester.

I could do over 60mpg on the motorway in my 2.1TD estate and 13 gallon tank so would do just shy of 800 miles to a tank theoretically and with mods I could have added 10-15% more mpg to that with optimization.

Just a thought a coolant pre heater out a HDi will get it up to an efficient temp faster.
Thanks given by:
Get a stage 1 HDi. Me and Zakk averaged 70mpg in his hdi estate on a motorway run. *according to the scanguage*

/Thread
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Actually on the subject of undertrays I have a standard 306 one for sale I can bring to the christmas meet.
Thanks given by:
(26-11-2015, 04:06 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Actually on the subject of undertrays I have a standard 306 one for sale I can bring to the christmas meet.

Bring it babe
Gives me an excuse to drop by.

Fyi: undertray is another word for "oil catch tray"
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Done.
Thanks given by:
Would people on here be interested in a range of economy-based modifications? If it's worth the time we could develop some for sale...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Fuel magnets don't work... Sad
Thanks given by:
(26-11-2015, 06:13 PM)Poodle Wrote: Would people on here be interested in a range of economy-based modifications? If it's worth the time we could develop some for sale...

Hmmm...

Be more interested in you spending your time finishing your compound hdi and see you making double stock mpg with that! lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Hahaha balls, was hoping nobody would mention that. ninja Be in the new house soon with a proper driveway, work will resume in the new year. Probably lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(26-11-2015, 06:13 PM)Poodle Wrote: Would people on here be interested in a range of economy-based modifications? If it's worth the time we could develop some for sale...

would make a teriffic thread!
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(26-11-2015, 04:06 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Actually on the subject of undertrays I have a standard 306 one for sale I can bring to the christmas meet.

Still an option to bring it? Or are you here now
Thanks given by:
No I'm at home in my pants, it's loaded into the truck ready though.
Thanks given by:
(27-11-2015, 06:46 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: No I'm at home in my pants, it's loaded into the truck ready though.

Sweet I'll have that, how much?
Thanks given by: