More Economical

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Economical
So I'm moving to Gloucester on Friday and will be around a 60 mile round trip to work back in Bristol. Was wondering if there's any way of making the xud more economical? Apart from a lighter right foot. It currently has a 9mm Bosch
Thanks given by:
Strip it out, no spare, lighter narrower wheels and tyres, streamline the front with gaffa tape etc...

extreme but lol foot control will help loads
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
Fit an hdi.

/Canofworms
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Push the car to work and back.

Infinite miles to the gallon then.....
Thanks given by:
Smaller engine and drive more gently (to a point).

Maybe get the train or a 125 motorbike.

Maybe don't move 60 miles away from work if you cant afford the commute?

Real world there isn't alot that makes a difference (poodle is the expert) but stripping the car will see about 10% better, changing your shifts so you don't drive at rush hour can save a fair chunk. Limiting yourself to 60 rather than 70 is worth maybe another 5-10% and narrower tyres can be effective but I wouldn't like to say how much.
Thanks given by:
If your doing a lot of motorway miles poss look into fitting a hdi gearbox
Thanks given by: Nathan1305
your right foot is going to be the main factor.
long time back I had 3 months commuting from Oxford to Coventry in a derv 205.
managed to make a tankful last all week driving just a tad faster than the trucks.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Hdi box.
Stg1 tune.
Ensure tyre pressures suited to motorway driving.
Use veg oil.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2015, 07:36 AM)Piggy Wrote: Hdi box.

Stg1 tune.

Ensure tyre pressures suited to motorway driving.

Use veg oil.

This. Exactly this.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I like piggy' response haha I may have to start doing that can I just chuck a few bottles in with derv so I don't have issues starting it?

(24-11-2015, 06:41 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Smaller engine and drive more gently (to a point).

Maybe get the train or a 125 motorbike.

Maybe don't move 60 miles away from work if you cant afford the commute?

Real world there isn't alot that makes a difference (poodle is the expert) but stripping the car will see about 10% better, changing your shifts so you don't drive at rush hour can save a fair chunk. Limiting yourself to 60 rather than 70 is worth maybe another 5-10% and narrower tyres can be effective but I wouldn't like to say how much.

Don't think 125' can be used on motorways? And it's not that I can't afford it just would like to get the most out the car Smile luckily I have changed my shifts so that will make it easier
Thanks given by:
TBH, seeing as you've just got it back on the road and got some shinies on it I would say just enjoy it. XUD's can be fairly frugal anyway.
Thanks given by:
Stick to 60mph on motorway and run veg if u have a Bosch, don't get much cheaper, can pick veg up from warehouse for under 70ppl Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I run 100% still at the moment its fine. Just get ready for air ingressing everywhere like a bitch. Once thats sorted its fine though.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Tbh, theres not much you can do, I drive fairly economically out of habit, and weight, heavier right foot, even driving at 80 over 70 or 60 doesn't make any difference. Its all about the roads you drive ime. I was getting far better mpg doing longer drives than now I've moved and everything is 10 minutes away. You'll probably find you get better mpg doing the longer drives regardless of how you drive! Smile Nice and cheap if you run veg too, just be prepared to change the filter every day and every rubber seal failing. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Where in glos?

Get on the m4 before 7am!!! .... also most of the m5 between jcn13-15 will soon be a 50mph average speed check for a while, so thatll help calm your right foot
Thanks given by:
Run veg oil if you wanna keep costs down.

(24-11-2015, 10:03 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: I run 100% still at the moment its fine. Just get ready for air ingressing everywhere like a bitch. Once thats sorted its fine though.

Once you've run a bunch of veg through the system and it's cleaned out all the crap it'll go like stink if you put a tank of diesel in.

Veg is the best fuel system cleaner going.
Thanks given by:
What he said, also you won't be changing fuel filters any more often once you've cleared the crap out.
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
move job/house, win.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2015, 10:10 AM)thododd Wrote: Where in glos?

Get on the m4 before 7am!!! .... also most of the m5 between jcn13-15 will soon be a 50mph average speed check for a while, so thatll help calm your right foot

GL1 so pretty central, and yeah I've noticed that nice to cruise at 50mph every now and then haha

(24-11-2015, 10:49 AM)welshpug Wrote: move job/house, win.

Am looking at other jobs, currently working at Apple so pretty stable and good pay. Potentially looking into mechanics of some sort
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2015, 11:21 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote:

GL1 so pretty central, and yeah I've noticed that nice to cruise at 50mph every now and then haha

Am looking at other jobs, currently working at Apple so pretty stable and good pay. Potentially looking into mechanics of some sort

Stay at apple. Lol mechanics is just annoying to be in most days.
Thanks given by:
Can you do me a deal on an iTelephone? Wink
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2015, 12:13 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Can you do me a deal on an iTelephone? Wink

Haha I can get you discount if you like lol

(24-11-2015, 12:11 PM)bashbarnard Wrote:
(24-11-2015, 11:21 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote:

Stay at apple. Lol mechanics is just annoying to be in most days.

Fair enough haha just getting bored of retail
Thanks given by:
Sounds good, tempted by one as I've been Android for 4 years...don't like to stick to one marque lol... Won't be until after xmas though haha.

But back on topic... Wink
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2015, 12:16 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Sounds good, tempted by one as I've been Android for 4 years...don't like to stick to one marque lol...  Won't be until after xmas though haha.

But back on topic... Wink

Haha no worries just give me a message when you're ready.

And yes on topic, I'll see how I get on for a bit. I'll stick a full tank in and see what I get out of that, then you guys can tell me if its a good amount of miles from a tank. Think I managed about 610 miles from a tank before with mixed driving
Thanks given by:
you'll do a tank a week doing that distance, a service every 10 weeks...
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
60 mile round trip, 5 days a week is only 300 miles, only a tank a fortnight, fairly average mileage, I do the same tbh. Assuming the GTi will be used for weekend fun.
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2015, 12:32 PM)Toms306 Wrote: 60 mile round trip, 5 days a week is only 300 miles, only a tank a fortnight, fairly average mileage, I do the same tbh.  Assuming the GTi will be used for weekend fun.

Not to bad then about £100-£150 a month and yeah the GTi is just a project/weekend toy
Thanks given by:
300 miles a week is nothing i cover more than that. Lol
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2015, 12:46 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: 300 miles a week is nothing i cover more than that. Lol

Fair enough Smile going from 40 miles a week for work to 300 miles is a big jump for me haha but saying that I've done 800 miles this month. Been enjoying driving the DT a lot
Thanks given by:
I do roughly 10p per mile in the thirsty Focus (stupid modern 'economical' engine sucks at economy lol) so nice and easy for me to work out costs. £100-£120 a month, 1000-1200 miles. Though I used BP Ultimate this tank, its done nothing to improve mpg, just cost an extra penny per mile! Confused

I used to do over 1500 miles a month every month back when I had the Golf with work, college and running around for family, probably why the Golf mpg was so much better than anything I've had since! lol
Thanks given by: