Gear issue. Not centring....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gear issue. Not centring....
The gear stick isn't centring itself… It’s un-sprung between 3-4 and 5-R, and sprung perfectly normally 1-2 to 3-4. It currently wants to rest anywhere to the right of 3-4

I can put it in all gears, however it has to be worked into 1, sometimes it quite difficult to get in, and sometimes it doesn’t seem to want to move horizontally out of 5-R. (this might be cause it have to go past the 3-4 gate to get to 1-2, and it isn’t trying to pull itself across out of 5-R and I’m a bit shit finding the middle vertically before attempting to move it across)

All of this has happened at once, and suddenly.

I have removed the gear linkage that transfers the horizontal translation, and the gear stick seems completely un-sprung. 
Feeling the lever on the gearbox it is sprung in one in one direction and is slack in the other. 

As far as I can see all of the linkages are connected and I'm not rubbing or pressing against anything.

Any ideas?
Thanks given by:
What engine /gearbox is it?
Thanks given by:
Check the linkages aren't touching something. Otherwise its something in the gearbox.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
ph1 1.9dt... no idea what gearbox it is.....

Fairly sure they aren't touching anything. I'll go double check.
Thanks given by:
Its an XUD iirc.

Sounds like a 'box issue to me, theres nothing sprung in stick or linkages on these.
Thanks given by:
anything I can do to test/confirm its the box?

and any idea if it be a easy fix or is this a 2nd hand box situation?
Thanks given by:
Pop the link bars off the box and 'wiggle' the box linkages directly. Should feel if theres a lack of resistance anywhere.
Thanks given by:
How can I tell which box I have/need

It is indeed an XUD, from what I can see I have 3 rods, no cables, I have a electronically driven speedo (with a mechanical odometer, heh)
Thanks given by:
BE3, The return spring and the 5th detent had/has gone....awol...

Going to rebuild the box when I have chance but I popped a second hand one on...with a new clutch... loverly.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  gear box issue alex76 2 1,279 24-04-2016, 12:06 PM
Last Post: alex76