Can I save a private plate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I save a private plate?
Any way to save a private plate from a car which needs too much for an Mot?
Just bought a 99 orange cabby but its been laid up for a good while and needs too much cash to save/mot ( probs ).
It has a decent plate worth a few hundred quid and would like to keep it on retention of poss so any ideas??    

Thanks given by:
Ask the DVLA but I think it needs an MOT to transfer the plate off. Not sure if its the same for getting private plates off cars...

There is another possible solution but im not posting it here.
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
Cut the vin number out and weld it into another orange cabby...sorted... Tongue
Thanks given by:
That wasn't what I was thinking....
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
In a word no, there was a guy on .net who spent over a year IIRC doing his car up just to get a plate off it.. Diablo 5dr anyone remember?

Alternatively find a friendly MOT tester & break the car immediately.

T4 KSG is worth nothing unless KSG are your initials & you drive a T4. There's no money in plates like that despite what the online valuation sites say. Waste of time if you're just thinking you might make a few quid.. You'd be lucky to get the £80 retention fee back.
Thanks given by:
I didn't think there would be much chance and hadn't looked the plate up as I hadn't even thought about the plate since I first talked to the guy a few weeks ago, just today when £'s were being talked he made a deal about it!
Cheers for the info JJ, Tom, Ben! ;-)
Thanks given by:
I am sure you can fill in a form to keep the current reg

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...ion-number
Thanks given by:
(01-11-2015, 10:33 PM)procta Wrote: I am sure you can fill in a form to keep the current reg

Yup, and as it says clearly on that link.. You need to include the MOT!
Thanks given by:
Seems odd, why do you need MOT to transfer a plate? Surely there's a reasonable amount of people who will only buy a new car (and transfer their plate) when the current one fails MOT! Confused
Thanks given by:
Needs to be moted! :-( not a huge concern anyway as although I bought it today only the wheels and tires are still mine, cars off to a mate for work done on my 307 recently!
Thanks given by:
(01-11-2015, 11:00 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(01-11-2015, 10:33 PM)procta Wrote: I am sure you can fill in a form to keep the current reg

Yup, and as it says clearly on that link.. You need to include the MOT!

might have put the wrong link JJ as this one states that you need to have either sorn or MOT,

https://www.gov.uk/keep-registration-number

(01-11-2015, 11:03 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Seems odd, why do you need MOT to transfer a plate?  Surely there's a reasonable amount of people who will only buy a new car (and transfer their plate) when the current one fails MOT! Confused
It is daft mind,  I am sure one of the lads on the metro owners club kept the reg from his old mg metro mk1 that he scrapped back in the 90s, I may have posted the wrong link.
Thanks given by:
Photo 
By any chance jj would it of been my old one

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Christ that is a blast from the past! Use to love that car!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Garaculas??
Thanks given by:
It was an awesome car, unfortunately the bloke I had it off was a perpetual bodge artist which in the end was why I ended up stripping it, still got most of the parts.
Thanks given by:
(06-11-2015, 01:07 AM)Chris306 Wrote: By any chance jj would it of been my old one

That's it, am I right in what I said?
Thanks given by:
I think the reason for the MOT stipulation was to stop people buying log books for cars and bikes long dead to trade the number plates.
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2015, 11:34 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(06-11-2015, 01:07 AM)Chris306 Wrote: By any chance jj would it of been my old one

That's it, am I right in what I said?

From what I gather and from looking through all the old recietes and bodges that it had then your bang on the money lol if I can find the thread from the original owner it was a death trap lol engine fell out at one point haha
Thanks given by:
Well according to my mate that buys strips and sells cars all week every week you can now remove a private plate to retention without an mot! Just have to have the V5 in your name, change came alongside vic test being scrapped but they just ain't advertising the fact!
Cars no longer mine so matters not now but if you have a plate on a car that has no mot call dvla for clarification on the rules!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Selling a Private Number plate Toms306 28 5,298 21-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Kezzieboy
  Someone save this?? devils_fuel 6 1,934 17-04-2014, 07:24 AM
Last Post: 1616six
  Save me from insanity! Matt 36 10,079 18-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Jonny b