Thought I had a good'n

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thought I had a good'n
Well I've just spent the day giving the front suspension a mini overhaul and I've found more problems, the alternator isn't charging the battery up properly, some penis before me has cross threaded a wheel but and got an air gun on it, so it's sheered off and won't come out with an extractor set. I still need to buy other parts and now the shopping list has gotten bigger. 
On top of that other unseen forces seem to be wanting me to get into serious financial trouble with things that just keep breaking in the house, absolutely skint, Christmas fast approaching, and I have a car that I thought was flawless but turns out it's proving to be dog egg! 

Anyway rant over, just needed to get it off my chest somehow.
Thanks given by:
You thought a 15 year old 306 was flawless? How'd you work that out? Tongue
Thanks given by:
Thousands of pounds of invoices, must've forgot it was French tbh
Thanks given by:
Joking aside though, used cars are always gonna have problems, regardless of age, mileage, history or model (from experience!). Sods law means they always need money spent on them when you're low on it as well though.
Thanks given by:
Glad it's not just me, just feel like selling it and getting a pushbike!
Thanks given by:
Even new cars have problems, they just (hopefully) get fixedunder warranty.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Exactly, you just give it back to the dealer and they give you another one while yours is fixed, much better system than having to fix it yourself and pay for it. lol
Thanks given by:
Keep going with it mate it will come good soon enough! There's always an issue or 6 but once it's running right it will just keep going as long as you maintain it well enough!
Thanks given by:
Clean up the earths and make sure the battery terminals are tight first.
Be aware that there were two ball joint sizes so a replacement hub might be different
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Can you just change the hub or does it have to be the whole strut?
Thanks given by:
Just the hub, I'd do both with a known matched pair
Thanks given by:
Yes. Undo the wishbone balljoint and the TRE, the hub nut, abs/brake line retaining bracket, the droplink and the pinch bolt for the strut on the back of the hub. Once the driveshaft is out (watch the N/S as it's easy to pull the shaft out of the box and spill gear oil everywhere), you can beat the hub off the strut with some care.

Sorry for the rushed explanation, just on my way out the door!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(19-10-2015, 06:42 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote:  you can beat the hub off the strut with some care.

No need. If you spread the hub-to-clamp with a sump plug, the hub will come with a tug. No hammer rash on the hub then.
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
I tried everything to get my hub pinch assembly spread open and just couldn't and had to bash down.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2015, 01:02 PM)Alan_M Wrote:
(19-10-2015, 06:42 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote:  you can beat the hub off the strut with some care.

No need. If you spread the hub-to-clamp with a sump plug, the hub will come with a tug. No hammer rash on the hub then.

Sump plug? I heard the 8mm allen key trick but not a sump plug. Or do you mean sump plug key?

Tbh if you use a copper hide it doesn't mark the hub.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
He will mean sump plug key. Yes it works a treat
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  just a thought... pugjohn306 11 3,586 09-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Last Post: pugjohn306
  What car with good mpg would be good for gravel roads? Amandaholo 21 6,642 28-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Last Post: ash240970
  I saw this, and thought of you... WiNgNuTz 21 5,132 07-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Eeyore