My other red rallye resto......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My other red rallye resto......
So......

Not happy with one red Rallye, I bought another.....more a case of right place, right time and spare cash. I won't tell you whast I paid for this one, but she was cheap. Too cheap to pass up really, even with its faults....

So, a jaunt to Delph near Huddersfield this morning it was.....trailer hooked up, off I went. After a brief digression with South Yorkshire Police, I was on my way again. Route took me right over the tops of the dales.....the hills with an empty trailer were enough....was bricking it about coming back the other ways with a tonne of Peugeot on the back.... Still the Citroen Xantia HDi towcar was a beast and did the job fine. Got a bit warm coming up the 12.5% incline but got there!

So, the car. Been stored in a covered car park on an industrial unit so not been exposed really. Was told the brakes were gone. Pedal to the floor, yep, no brakes. Discs plenty rusty, handbrake ineffective etc. Used the winch to pull it onto the trailer. Bodywork not great. Lacquer peel on the roof and tops of doors although the seller had made this quite clear. Been properly slammed but had a great surprise to find a big box with std shocks and springs in the boot!

Other than the bodywork, its a very clean car. 99k, fully stamped book, its clearly been looked after. Interior, other than the drivers seat, is great. Very clean.

So the plan is to sort the brakes, clean her up, get some paint and an MOT on her, and move her on.

[Image: IMAG2744_zpsm3r2cxtv.jpg]

[Image: IMAG2743_zpsksom9re2.jpg]

[Image: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443977864.420993...vmcuhp.jpg]

Means I now own 1% of all red Rallye ever made!
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
This was the super cheap one. Glad someone got it in the end and is going to get it back to how it should be! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Yeah, the super cheap one on Detailing World.
Thanks given by:
Result mate, you are gathering quite a fleet already Big Grin can't wait to see whats in store...
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
This won't won't be anything special in terms of the work I'm going to do to it. It's literally a case of sort the few issues it has, get it back on the road and then sell it. The profit will go towards the restoration of the other Rallye I have. I was severely tempted to track it when I first heard about it. However, having seen the car when I collected it, its way too good for that and we all know these are a bit scarce now.

Today we get it onto the ramps and start work on the brakes and make sure everything else underneath is solid. Looks like its going to need a cambelt so will be on the look out for a kit. Other than that, it needs a non temp clock as it looks like its been replaced at some point with a GTi6 one. Could do with a rear bumper as its cracked in one corner and possibly a new front wing.

Having said all that, apart from the paint issues, its clearly been looked after. Trying to trace a previous owner, guys called Rhys I think from Scotland.

(13-10-2015, 09:54 PM)Eeyore Wrote: This was the super cheap one. Glad someone got it in the end and is going to get it back to how it should be! Big Grin

Having looked at the car, its worth a lot more even as it sits than I paid for it. I don't know why someone else didn't grab it....granted it needed trailering but that's no real issue is it? Dragging it out of the dales was a bit hairy but no real issue. Granted advertising it on Detailing World probably wasn't the best place but hey......ended up he needed it gone quickly. I've access to a tow car and a trailer....rest is history..

Got some jump leads on the battery as well and it started first time. 3/4's of s tank of fuel which is a result! Sounds like its got a lifter stuck. Not surprising if its been stood for a while. Going to get flushed and have an oil and filter change today as well. Will have all new brake fluid once we've sorted the brakes.
Thanks given by:
I got mine which required trailering for £730. I thought that was a great price at the time and even more so now after that crashed white one sold for £660 on ebay last week!
Thanks given by:
I'd have loved a '6 or a rallye but I heard how juicy they can be (compared to a scooby that was though)

They are just awesome bits of kit and the fact they are like rocking horse shit just makes them more desirable.

Hopefully you get a nice tidy return on this investment mate, then onwards with the resto rallye Big Grin
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
Love it Ben! :-)
Thanks given by:
Well.....not all is going to plan..... We have a couple of rust issues to deal with first....arse.
Thanks given by:
Let me guess chassis legs, rear arch and bulkhead?
Thanks given by:
Chassis leg on drivers side. Whole triangular section between chassis leg and front arch and the sill has been properly trolley jacked....
Thanks given by:
[Image: IMAG2745_zpsrtdyfvfz.jpg]

[Image: IMAG2746_zpstiklwdqq.jpg]

[Image: IMAG2747_zps9oj2eycr.jpg]

Not a pretty picture. Gone underneath where they all do and where its been trolley jacked to f*ck. Sill is the same. Soo as we got it in the air I could see it

Never mind. Can all be sorted. All the rust is now cut out. Back to good bare metal and we are beginning to fabricate the sheet metal replacements to be welded in.

Needs a beam too. Didn't move a centimetre when we lifted the car on the lift. I'm 22 stone and sat in the boot and bounced. Didn't move!!! Properly cambered, too a wheel off and its worn through the arch liner!!!

Still, all fairly easy to sort out. Good news is its had new drop links!! (,well, have to find something to be pleased about!!!) and has a Pirelli P6000 spare tyre which will do for the other red one! Front to rear brake lines are shot. Using the ones that came off my other one and will by new ones for that later. Issue with the brakes was the drivers side front. New pads on the front but the cariier was properly fullmof rust and brake dust. 5 minutes in the sand blasted sorted that out. Car now rolls pretty nicely, apart from the rubbing rear wheels!!
Thanks given by:
Mmm rusty. Beams an easy fix though. Jealous you own two and i own none. Sad although id get torn apart for what id do for one. Lol. Must be a nice feeling to own 1% of red raylles
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Probably going to get my new beam built up and onto my first one, then use the beam from that for this....of get Orta to drag his over to me when he brings some other bits......Thomas, if you are reading, I fancy a cheap deal on your beam!

(14-10-2015, 06:33 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Mmm rusty. Beams an easy fix though. Jealous you own two and i own none. Sad although id get torn apart for what id do for one. Lol. Must be a nice feeling to own 1% of red raylles

Yeah, beam will take a few minutes to swap. Will have to take the tank out etc to replace the brake lines so probably swap it over then. Trying to get her MOTd for a track day at either donnington or Mallory on November 8th.

Only the threat of having my balls cut off by the wife is stopping me turning this into as track slag although I'm not sure I could do it to a Rallye....
Thanks given by:
Soz about edit!
Phuuuuk never had one that bad and our roads are mostly made of salt and potholes!
If you don't mind me asking, what's the low slung red thing in the background in pic 4? ( not the ramp leg lol)

[Image: IMAG2747_zps9oj2eycr.jpg]

[Image: IMAG2750_zpshyep7ptf.jpg]

Not a pretty picture. Gone underneath where they all do and where its been trolley jacked to f*ck. Sill is the same. Soo as we got it in the air I could see it

Never mind. Can all be sorted. All the rust is now cut out. Back to good bare metal and we are beginning to fabricate the sheet metal replacements to be welded in.

Needs a beam too. Didn't move a centimetre when we lifted the car on the lift. I'm 22 stone and sat in the boot and bounced. Didn't move!!! Properly cambered, too a wheel off and its worn through the arch liner!!!

Still, all fairly easy to sort out. Good news is its had new drop links!! (,well, have to find something to be pleased about!!!) and has a Pirelli P6000 spare tyre which will do for the other red one! Front to rear brake lines are shot. Using the ones that came off my other one and will by new ones for that later. Issue with the brakes was the drivers side front. New pads on the front but the cariier was properly fullmof rust and brake dust. 5 minutes in the sand blasted sorted that out. Car now rolls pretty nicely, apart from the rubbing rear wheels!!
[/quote]
Thanks given by:
Ah, that.

Yeah, my mate Luke who owns the unit has bought a rally prepped 205 GTi.......
Thanks given by:
Right, non seized, std height beam sourced.

Need to source two rear arch liners. I'll do the brake lines and the beam all at the same time. Only an afternoons work. Will probably swap over the front shocks at the same time.
Thanks given by:
Update time.....

Found a 306 in a local scrappers. Cut the drivers side sill off of it, plus the lower inner arch part I needed. That will helpy mate massively repair the chassis.

Pick up a beam and some calipers from Carl tomorrow. Got 3 brand new brake hoses delivered for £11 from eBay which have arrive today.

Should pretty much have all the parts ready to go by tomorrow. Get the welding done and we can then crack on with the rest....might be MOT ready within a week!
Thanks given by:
jesus christ that rust is bad. hope mine isnt anything like that!
Thanks given by:
It isn't pretty I'll grant you. It's what happens when some monkey is let loose with a trolley Jack with little care for the outcome.... It's all been cut out and tomorrow we start repairing it. Having the bits from another chassis should significantly decrease the time required....
Thanks given by:
Update from today…..

Got quite a lot done. First and foremost the welding work has begun and is about 50% complete. The cuts I got from the scrap 306 have come in very handy and have definitely sped up the repair. Sill now looks like this…

[Image: IMG_20151022_172610539_zpsczyi9jgh.jpg]

The inner arch section like this…

[Image: IMG_20151022_172630835_zpsjw8tgs3t.jpg]

A fair bit of tidying to do but we are getting there…..mate who's welding it for me reckons perhaps another half day and it will be done.

Cracked on then with some other bits. The MOT failure said the brakes on the drivers side were binding. Had already fixed the front so set about the rear. Same issue really. Carrier properly gummed up. Removed, stripped, blasted, rebuild and voila! One more free whunions[Image: IMG_20151022_142112016_zpsfet4okas.jpg]

Next job was to prepare for removal of the rear beam. The spare wheel hook was properly crusty and was expecting a proper battle. Managed to loosen it enough to drop the cage off of it but it won't go any more. That's getting cut off and I'll source another. Spare wheel still has a brand new Pirelli P6000 from the 8th week of 2000…...never been used!

Moved onto cracking off the brake pipe unions. Two under the boot floor didn't offer too much resistance to two pairs of mole grips….the ones at the front are an utter pain in the arse and in such a difficult spot at the bottom of the bulk head. I'll undo the pipes at the abs pump and and go from there. The good news is it looks like I can replace the main brake pipes without removing the fuel tank. Result. Then managed to undo the flexible brake pipes at the front on both sides to replace those tomorrow. Again, an MOT failure point and it does appear they are splitting etc.

I've also possibly figured what's up with the emissions. Whilst faffing about with the brake pipe unions at the front of the car, I noticed two out of the 4 wires were hanging out of the plug joining the lambda sensor to the loom. That won't be helping. Will see if I can repair otherwise I'll cut it off and wire a new one on.

Feeling pleased with today's progress…….
Thanks given by:
Mine went at the same place on the chassis leg,haven't checked the skirts thought,but heard others going there
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
If its gone, you'll probably be able to see if just by getting it up on a ramp/lift etc. I saw my sill straight away.

It's pretty much exclusively caused by Bad trolley jacking....might be the occasional bad accident damage but its almost always the errant trolley Jack....
Thanks given by:
Zakks was completely hidden by the sideskirt, check his project thread.

This makes me feel better about mine now! really glad i didn't buy it! Looks a sterling job on the welding though Big Grin friend fancy doing mine? Tongue
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2015, 02:43 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Zakks was completely hidden by the sideskirt, check his project thread.

This makes me feel better about mine now! really glad i didn't buy it!  Looks a sterling job on the welding though Big Grin friend fancy doing mine? Tongue

I thought I was doing yours Tongue

Good work on saving it, looks like a bit of a mission!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(23-10-2015, 02:43 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Zakks was completely hidden by the sideskirt, check his project thread.

This makes me feel better about mine now! really glad i didn't buy it! Looks a sterling job on the welding though Big Grin friend fancy doing mine? Tongue

My mate Steve is a good lad. Knows his stuff and is a good welder. The cuts I got from this other car helped massively. My mate who has the tyre unit i work at said to me he'd get Steve to weld it if I covered his shift. Seemed like a fair deal to me. It wasn't hidden completely by the side skirt. When we had it on the lift and were under it, I could see it....I knew the sill was fooked. Still, having the cuts from another chassis to repair have helped loads. Steve is available for welding jobs!

It's not that much of a mission to save. The welding is the biggest job, the rest of it is either clean up or replace. None of the jobs needed are too bad. Welding, beam, brake lines, wiper blades, bulbs, lambda sensor plug....biggest job might be replacing the head....see below...

Got a bit more done today. Remembered to take the new brake hoses with me. Got those fitted eventually after a bit of messing about….front drivers side brake seems to be binding again though. Wonder if the caliper needs some love….

[Image: IMG_20151023_175522584_zpsz26n0vqe.jpg]

I then decided it needed a bloody good wash. It hasn't had one since I bought it and its been stood a long while….plenty of Autosmart G101 and a brush got in all the nooks and crannies and pulled out a shed load of muck….then washed properly, twice and its come up pretty clean. A bit pink in places and I know it needs a little paint but I'm still pretty pleased. Gonna machine polish it at some point as its a bit swirly…..

[Image: IMG_20151023_152153968_zpskjd4lv4n.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20151023_152147171_zpsnppnwci3.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20151023_152130728_zpsz8kholuu.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20151023_152119177_HDR_zpsqgfewycx.jpg]

Last job for today was to fix the front splitter that's been hanging off and doing my head in since I got it…..job I thought would take ten minutes took 30…..stupid bloody clips and screws and no access…...I should knon better by nplaces[Image: IMG_20151023_175514793_zpsr6lzqnxw.jpg]

This is the problem with the emissions me thinks…

[Image: IMG_20151023_180126539_zpsyx8iu4tr.jpg]

Will try and repair but if not have a replacement plug and a section of loom on its way.

So just waiting on collecting the beam and I'll do the front to rear brake pipes when I do the beam. Parts on order include wiper blades, spare wheel hook and bolt, a wheel brace, lambda sensor plug and hopefully a pair of ph2 side repeaters. Will need a new battery too. Also need to do the cam belt and I've a sneaking suspicion she's a tapper (its either that or its got a stuck lifter due to being sat….) although I'm not sure why. Had a belt at 62k, is now on 99k and the belt looks old son unless she was a snapper early doors I'm not sure…. No worries if she is, I've got access to a spare head so before doing the belt, I'll swap the heads, new hg and bolts and belt, job done. I've also a sneaky feeling it's been decatted. Not sure the cat pipe looks std and the exhaust makes an odd noise though it….exhaust coming off to do the beam so I'll find out for sure at some point!

Still hoping for MOT by next weekend.
Thanks given by:
cracking progress!

Mine gets a sticky tappet if i leave parked up for a while, taps till its warm then it settles down but she is on 186k lol

(23-10-2015, 06:01 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:

This makes me feel better about mine now! really glad i didn't buy it!  Looks a sterling job on the welding though Big Grin friend fancy doing mine? Tongue

I thought I was doing yours Tongue

Good work on saving it, looks like a bit of a mission!

you are Wink
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Yeah they can make a tappy noise if left sat for long enough. If you're brave enough to run it with the cambelt a while of idling should let the oil get back in everywhere and will stop the noises if it is just a sticky one.

Looks an awful lot better, you could probably sell this on PH or ebay for a good profit when finished. Or if you can, just store it somewhere for the future and make an even bigger return.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
That's the plan bud.....it was cheap enough in the first place and the jobs it needed doing weren't major. The extent of the welding was a bit more than though but I've got a cracking job at a great price.

So the spend so far is:

Fuel to collect: £40
Sill and arch section: £10
Welding: Free as I covered the guy doing the welding
Brake hoses: £12
Lambda sensor plug, wheel brace and spare wheel hook & bolt: £25
Beam: £50

It will still need a battery (£30), wiper blades (£10), cambelt kit (£75) and MOT (£40).......all.in, excluding paint, less than £300 to get it back on the road. Paint possibly a couple of hundred quid......not bad really
Thanks given by:
I'm in the process of teaching myself to weld. I seem to be getting the hang of it pretty well so far which is good. That'll enable me to do repairs like this to my own car and also help other members out.

I reckon somewhere like PH would be a good place to get max money, Stick it up for 2.5-3k or something maybe and see what happens? Possibly even carandclassic
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Red Rallye resto Ben_w 354 88,609 28-05-2019, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Ben_w
  Red Rallye Resto Eddleston 11 4,207 31-10-2015, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Eddleston
  306 GTi6 China Resto 306gtiparts 6 3,249 21-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Last Post: 7057sam