newbie to OC and need some help finding a solution!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newbie to OC and need some help finding a solution!
Hi guys got myself a 1997 306 1.4 8v new to the oc as you can see and I'm having some trouble with my motor, I will be driving at any speed any gear any rev range, and randomly my 306 will start bogging down (any throttle position), also sometimes whilst I'm driving it will cut out as I come to a stop at a junction, it will fire straight after and have checked spark plus are firing and also checked fuel is making it to the engine, also if I start the car (from a cold start) i can leave the car idling won't drive anywhere and it will cut out yet fires straight up after? Please help ! Thanks guys and also deco need an oc sticker!!!  Rofl

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Check the fuel filter and check the alternator voltage
Thanks given by: Jakeyboii216
Hello and welcome along Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Welcome ! My missus that colour on the vivant and one of the few colours I haven't owned yet...
Cheers for the response guys! How would I go about checking/testing the fuel filter? And also the one under rear seats or the engine bay? Thanks! And also how about testing alternator? Thanks! Also do you guys run any meets I'm based in Cambridgeshire, I don't mind an hour or 2 drive for a pug meet! haha Smile

Sorry stupid reply from me there on the alternator! I've got a voltmeter to test just have to dig it out the shed! Thanks! What should the alternator be kicking out?

Thanks given by:
The one under the seats is your in tank pump and unless you have good reason you should leave it alone as its French and likely to break if you look at it wrong! :-(
There should be an inline fuel filter under the driver side of the car behind the drivers door towards the tank, ( there are two types ) early ones are standard old pug metal clips for special pliers, the other type have plastic clips that WILL break if u DIY it so if its the latter ask someone else to do it lol!
Ok thanks! And if it's the "simple" clip if it an easy enough part to test? Shall I disconnect out hose and check its feeding the fuel out constantly? Or shall I just remove it and clean it throughly? Or shall I replace that fuel filter? Thanks! I have some mechanical knowledge have done the odd clutch and fly wheel on a focus and have done a fair bit of repairs myself also done l2 motor mechanics was a while ago now though! So only some things have stuck with me! Haha cheers for the help!
Thanks given by:
Lose the illegal side light bulbs & you'll make more friends Smile

We have a resident police officer on the forum who will arrest you for having gay lights.
Thanks given by:
Have put them in the interior already! Haha! Did think they looked abit silly and just asking for trouble
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome Smile

Most common cause of this is a blocked /dying ISCV (Idle Speed Control Valve) on the TU series engine (fitted to your car)

Its easy enough to remove and clean / test / replace Smile If i wasn't at work right now i would be able to post a detailed picture but there should be something about it in the guides section i'm sure!

Its located by the T/B (throttle body) and should have a 4 plug plug into it, the valve is secured in the T/B with 2x T25 (IIRC) Torx screws.

If you don't have Torx tools please don't attempt to do anything at all on a french car lol

Hope this helps Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Welcome Smile
Thanks given by:
Going to take it for a spin tonight as I have been told a certain amount got recalled as the ecu were picking up dodgy data from any of the sensors yet the sensors are 100% ok!? Tried resetting ecu and will try the options above that you guys have said about if no luck with the ecu! Thanks a bunch guys!
Snap of because it's French!!! ???
Thanks given by:
That sounds like bullshit if I'm honest fella lol

The lambda sensor controls 99% of the fuelling so most issues like this arise from ISCV or lambda sensor failure.
Team Cyril
Sorry bud but the recall thing is bullshit. Here is all the recalls on the 306

And just because i know Tom will come along and slag everything except for what he owns off, heres the recall log for the focus Wink

Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Cheers guys I think I found it was the manifold pressure sensor? Seems to bog out when I wiggle them a little so will chop and solder and get a new sensor! Hope this works! Thanks for your ideas guys! Will get most the (intake) box sensors done asap! Process of Elimination I think! Will try the map sensor first and will let you all know! Then throttle position,maf,and the icv cheers guys! So much help also already checked the fuel filter, plugs, coils, leads, and also electrical fuses, but thanks! Smile

Also good to know about the correct recalls! Thanks dude!
Thanks given by:
Blimey, risk of fire comes up an alarming amount of times for Fords
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2015, 07:10 AM)Paul_13 Wrote: Blimey, risk of fire comes up an alarming amount of times for Fords

Yeah i think thats from when owners realise they have made a mistake in buying it though rather than something going wrong with the car lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Love the 'Because i know tom will comment' lol
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
So if you own a focus...
Expect to:
Lose all brakes after brake pedal goes hard...
Then lose your rear hubs.
While this is happening you lose power after the engine has overheated, have an engine fire shortly after also losing pas, lose your oil cap, struggle to keep vision as the wiper motor burns out...
Then just as you are trying to stop safely to call breakdown/fire and rescue, the restraint devices go off and you need an ambulance from 3 fractured ribs

(that's assuming it starts in the first place)

Rofl
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
That's over different Mk's of Focus Piggy... Mine will just explode in fire with a loss of PAS from the looks of it (build date March 2008). That is slightly worrying though. lol I have seen a few engine bay fires on the Ford forums, all have been CMaxs though for some reason.
Thanks given by:
HUHJust got rid of a focus as well!!! haha!!!! On board computer went so lost all power randomly, it opens your ring piece when ur on the motorway and the car acts like you've just pulled the battery terminals out!! Haha using ford!! f*cked on roadside dead is what it stands for right? ! Also I've cleaned the throttle body sensors on the pug and am aiming to get a new map sensor for Monday, let's hope this works! If not it's a lambda getting ordered Sad  cheers for the help though guys!! Smile

Thanks given by:
If your theory is just spend money on sensors till it is right, i would take it to someone who can plug their laptop in to see if it raises any DTCs which may give a good idea whats going on. Will be cheaper than just replacing everything!
Team Eaton

Hi has been a while and I have not been on since before Christmas, but just a heads up I have not found the issue, but as the vtr is now installed instead of the 1.4 the issue is now gone and it's getting cammed, exhaust and mapped in 4-5 weeks Smile yay! Cheers for the help though guys Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  finding a club Magenta Sunset 13 1,784 08-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Herby7
  Finding the club helpful already! HubbzPug 30 3,144 01-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Last Post: MisterGTR