Fuel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel
(22-08-2015, 09:18 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(22-08-2015, 07:42 AM)lolsteve Wrote: Run a bit of bio in your hdi every so often that'll clear it out 

Then just use asda fuel. ;Wink

I'm not entirely clued up on diesels as it's the devils fuel but for petrol using too high an octane such as v power on an engine nit mapped for it will loose power. Don't worry gti6 owners because you have a knock sensor I'm sure the default values are higher hence the positive feedback ffom momentum 99 
However engines like the k series or tu that don't have a knock sensor will be best suited for 95 octane

Just use AvGas.
av gas for the pug? And 72mpg? Wtf??" Yes please although use to seeing it used in MX 2t.
Bang per buck got to be big just like the smile per mile factor!
Thanks given by:
The cost of a replacement 'box (plus be daft not to do clutch and DMF at same time) would wipe out any MPG savings even if it's possible, It's not a 306 with a £50 'box unfortunately. Got a feeling the 'box on mine is dying though, getting a bad whine from the 'box at high rpm and rundown, same as I got on the TU 306 'box with knackered diff bearings. Confused I know I'm a bit hard on the drivetrain, power through corners, engine brake a lot and take bumps harder than I should but the driveshaft should be taking that abuse rather than the diff surely! Then again, I do hear potentially bad noises all the time, so it may be nothing at all lol. Doesn't help that the Focus has less sound deadening than a 306 so you hear literally everything!
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2015, 11:00 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Yawn, anyone can make big numbers on the screen lol, I'll bet your real tank average is nowhere near that. Wink

I take it you've removed the DPF if they come with one? I lost 5mpg on the computer this morning with a regen. Dodgy

Can't bullshit the renault trip comp as it even counts the fuel you use sitting stationary unlike vauxhalls and other makes lol Sitting in traffic rips the arse out of the average Sad that pic was taken on a run (40 miles) as i was testing my eco driving skills haha check the RPM in 6th just cruising Tongue

(24-08-2015, 08:55 PM)RetroPug Wrote: Matt what does that average consist of?

My regular average is around 50mpg as its all backroads, hills and alot of stop / start and constantly going up and down the gears Sad
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Every trip computer I've had counts the fuel at idle... Confused Golf, Vec, even the 206 did iirc! It doubles with the AC on in the Focus lol 0.1 to 0.2l/hr (or whatever the units change to). I don't find traffic to be too bad though, guess that's the one advantage of a smaller capacity engine, it's driving at any speed over idle that it doesn't like. lol

So I'll assume that 'average' was started with a hot engine as well lol? Completely pointless then... Tongue
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2015, 09:41 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Every trip computer I've had counts the fuel at idle... Confused Golf, Vec, even the 206 did iirc! It doubles with the AC on in the Focus lol 0.1 to 0.2l/hr (or whatever the units change to). I don't find traffic to be too bad though, guess that's the one advantage of a smaller capacity engine, it's driving at any speed over idle that it doesn't like. lol

So I'll assume that 'average' was started with a hot engine as well lol? Completely pointless then... Tongue

My alfa does idle aswell Sad was sitting at 68 then down to 53 in 20 mins of traffic lol
Thanks given by:
[Image: hDHG3KB.jpg]

Drive like a grandma and a 16v HDi will do it too Wink

[Image: kIVwuyM.jpg]

Over 150-ish miles, I'd done 351 miles already, so that's a combined range of about 700 miles, which equates to an average of 67mpg or so - if you sit at a sensible speed, the numbers just climb... Go to 75mph and it's down to about 52-54mpg instantly... If you get annoyed and start flooring it past every bellend and his dog, it drops even more, but doing an eco run can return very impressive numbers!

On supermarket fuel too...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2015, 09:58 AM)Ruan Wrote: If you get annoyed and start flooring it past every bellend and his dog, it drops even more

Lol, this is why I like cruise control, without it this is me...with it I'm the bellend everyone else has to overtake. lol

Does the Volvo have a DPF? I couldn't get over 60mpg on cruise at 65 for about 2 hours (100 odd miles) earlier in the year. I think there's just too much car and not enough engine in the Focus DV6 combo tbh. Should've kept it to the Fiesta imo!
Thanks given by:
Nope - that's half of why it's so good on fuel, although I reckon with some adjustments to the advance mapping and EGR to stop worrying about NOx emissions, it'd get even better... Though they put the DV6 in the V50 and it GENUINELY gets like 60mpg all the time, I know a friend with a V50 DRIVe (1.6 DV6 DPF'd up to the eyeballs), they're uninterested in cars, just pootles around, uses it when they have to and doesn't worry at all, they didn't know it had a trip computer - lol! Had a look at the average, which is guaranteed to be the average over the time they've had the car, reading 62mpg...

I return about 48-50mpg on a daily basis, my driving is all backroads to and from work and I'm usually in a rush and not worrying... Lots of cold starts, drive 15 miles, rinse repeat at the moment.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Hmm, that's interesting! What age is your friends V50, just wondering if its the newer style non-eolys DPF? I can't imagine how slow it must be though haha! I also looked at a 207 Oxygo (low emission model DV6) before the Focus and their average was 42mpg, guessed it was just a town car lol. Long term average on the Focus when I picked it up was 48mpg.

One of the lads on the Ford forum reckons he's getting 70mpg on a DV6 since having de-DPF'd, de-EGR'd and remapped, can't see it myself though!
Thanks given by:
Iirc it's early 09 on a 58 plate... I've been in one and didn't think it was THAT bad in honesty... I've driven slower vehicles tbh...
Thanks given by:
Don't think theres much weight difference between a Focus and a V50, it's a 59 plate for reference.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Oh, it could be either DPF then lol, that was the crossover point for the Euro 5 emmisions.

My problem with speed in the Focus isn't so much standing start speed (although the EGR mapping dip is annoying). If you push it in every gear from standstill it's surprisingly quick (took an '08 Astra diesel from the lights the other day as he was edging and revving next to me lol ) ...but if someone pulls out and I have to let off then accelerate again once they've moved over there's just no 'oomph' in any gear. It's like turbo lag but without the expected boost afterwards lol. Just sort of slowly gets moving while there are BMWs and Range Rovers building up behind me and I can only assume it's down to too much weight and not enough gears to keep torque up top? Doesn't give any confidence overtaking on the dually after getting stuck behind a lorry as it needs such a big gap to pull out and make 70 from 50 in 5th or even tried dropping to 4th. Don't know why it seems much quicker from a standstill though, odd! Also seems to be worse with the AC on but I was under the impression AC should cut out under full throttle?

(25-08-2015, 11:45 AM)Anton Wrote: Don't think theres much weight difference between a Focus and a V50, it's a 59 plate for reference.

A solid Swedish estate must weigh more than a flimsy Ford hatch surely!?
Thanks given by:
I bet it does weigh more but i bet less than you think...

Sounds to me like its got bugger all torque.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
I've been averaging 63.5 mpg so far on this tank driving like a normal person.

Might reset it soon and play the "photograph of big mpg number" game. Big Grin
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I average 34 in my 206, and 44 on my bike.

Seems acceptable to me.
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
In my 306 1.6 tu I got 34mpg over 436 miles all motorway at 70ish (Haywards Heath to Hamilton)
And in the 307 SW110 hdi over the last 3800 miles the computer says 40.3 with average speed being 20 due to the Job! Not bad considering I do Dominos full time in a shop 20 miles away and it has dpf issues!
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2015, 09:41 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Every trip computer I've had counts the fuel at idle... Confused  Golf, Vec, even the 206 did iirc!  It doubles with the AC on in the Focus lol 0.1 to 0.2l/hr (or whatever the units change to).  I don't find traffic to be too bad though, guess that's the one advantage of a smaller capacity engine, it's driving at any speed over idle that it doesn't like. lol

So I'll assume that 'average' was started with a hot engine as well lol?  Completely pointless then... Tongue

My mates astra doesnt count fuel at idle. nor does my brothers golf.

Tom did no one ever inform you that assumption was the mother of all f*ck ups? lol

That 'Average' was from cold start of the journey too the end of it as like i said i was testing my eco driving skills.
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Sorry, I should remember assuming makes an ass out u and, err, ming... lol That is impressive from a cold start then. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Well that's tosh because my golf monitors fuel at idle.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2015, 07:32 AM)C2K Wrote: Well that's tosh because my golf monitors fuel at idle.

well seeing as we are being blunt here, you dont have the same golf as my brother sherlock.
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2015, 07:09 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(25-08-2015, 09:41 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Every trip computer I've had counts the fuel at idle... Confused  Golf, Vec, even the 206 did iirc!  It doubles with the AC on in the Focus lol 0.1 to 0.2l/hr (or whatever the units change to).  I don't find traffic to be too bad though, guess that's the one advantage of a smaller capacity engine, it's driving at any speed over idle that it doesn't like. lol

So I'll assume that 'average' was started with a hot engine as well lol?  Completely pointless then... Tongue

My mates astra doesnt count fuel at idle. nor does my brothers golf.

Tom did no one ever inform you that assumption was the mother of all f*ck ups? lol

That 'Average' was from cold start of the journey too the end of it as like i said i was testing my eco driving skills.

What Astra are you referring to?

H does, J does.
Thanks given by:
2008 astra sri 150 cdti. i drove it myself from mid wales too essex to collect my car and average did NOT drop at all during traffic and there was alot of traffic.
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2015, 08:01 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: 2008 astra sri 150 cdti. i drove it myself from mid wales too essex to collect my car and average did NOT drop at all during traffic and there was alot of traffic.

That's because the trip computer is so inaccurate lol, they're the same as the vectra/zafira etc & it takes a lot for the average to change.
Thanks given by:
Or maybe its just the meganes rubbish in traffic? Tongue

Mpg is so poor on the 150 cdti you wouldn't notice it drop in traffic lol, I was lucky to average 50mpg in the vec, driving the same roads as the golf. Can't even blame the dpf because it didn't have one! One car I do not miss at all, except the dimming drivers wing mirror, that was useful. lol
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2015, 08:18 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Or maybe its just the meganes rubbish in traffic? Tongue

Mpg is so poor on the 150 cdti you wouldn't notice it drop in traffic lol, I was lucky to average 50mpg in the vec, driving the same roads as the golf.  Can't even blame the dpf because it didn't have one!  One car I do not miss at all, except the dimming drivers wing mirror, that was useful. lol

50mpg from a reasonably large family car is very good - How anyone can class 50MPG from a Vectra as poor is deluded!
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2015, 08:18 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Or maybe its just the meganes rubbish in traffic? Tongue

Mpg is so poor on the 150 cdti you wouldn't notice it drop in traffic lol, I was lucky to average 50mpg in the vec, driving the same roads as the golf.  Can't even blame the dpf because it didn't have one!  One car I do not miss at all, except the dimming drivers wing mirror, that was useful. lol

The megane is rubbish in traffic lol it hates stop - start inching forwards and considering the fact that just a clutch kit for it is over £600 inc the dual mass... im not keen on traffic in it either lol
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2015, 08:24 AM)JJ0063 Wrote:

50mpg from a reasonably large family car is very good - How anyone can class 50MPG from a Vectra as poor is deluded!

Said I'd've been lucky to average 50...tank average was never out of the high 40s!

They're not that big either, no heavier than a Passat or V50 lol, probably not much heavier than the Focus considering everything was made from the cheapest, thinnest materials they could find. lol
(26-08-2015, 09:18 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:

The megane is rubbish in traffic lol it hates stop - start inching forwards and considering the fact that just a clutch kit for it is over £600 inc the dual mass... im not keen on traffic in it either lol

Lol, I know the feeling, wincing in stop start traffic haha, even worse doing that on rough grass getting in and out of shows lol... Or having to labour it at speed to get anywhere lol. lol
Thanks given by: