Fuel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel
Ok so I've been using supermarket diesel a lot recently, and possibly unrelated, the Focus hasn't been overly happy... I've been fairly sceptical of different fuels benefits, just avoiding the higher veg ones like Morrisons, but the last 2 tanks have been Tesco and not having used Tesco before it's been noticeably lacking power with no faults stored (other than the usual DPF of course lol). Its also been doing the worst MPG so far on the computer and more regens than usual, despite the driving being no different to normal really, sounds rougher as well which I didn't think possible lol.

So I need fuel again (~50 miles left on range) and got 4 local stations and ALL are at 110.9p for diesel today so price is irrelevant - Sainsburys, Tesco, Texaco, BP...

Not tried Texaco before, any good? If not, is BP the best of that bunch or is there really no difference and its my imagination? lol

Tom
Thanks given by:
For me it's always Shell V power or BP ultimate and you know the job I do! 4-500 miles every week!
Thanks given by:
I'm not made of money though lol, getting through twice as much diesel as I had budgeted for so can't be going premium unfortunately.
Thanks given by:
I use the 'brand' names where possible (Ie. Shell, BP, Texaco, Esso) but if it's supermarket then it's Tesco as I get Fuelsave (Until end of August Sad )

I'd never use Morrisons again after the weird shite that came out of my tank in Peterborough. They denied all knowledge but it's not had a single issue since!

I am loving the fact that derv is cheaper than petrol.

Don't forget though the weather will have a slight bearing on your MPG Tom. I'm down to 48.1 at the moment which is awful although Amber has been driving it more & she's used to a revvy petrol which may have something to do with it.
Thanks given by:
Fuelsave was the reason I'd been using Tesco for the last 2 tanks, think I got it down to about 106.9 lol! Not worked out much cheaper per mile with the reduction in mpg though.

I do agree about the weather, the Focus hates the heat, and especially having the AC on in the heat, trying to hold 70 in 5th uphill is a struggle like that lol (too much car, not enough engine!). But even in the cold evenings it's not as 'quick' as it used to be, was only 16c last night, barely any weight as there's sod all fuel and it still wouldn't pull as well as it usually does. Had only had a regen on the way out as well so the DPF should be clear enough. So I can only think the fuel has something to do with it, igniting too early maybe...
Thanks given by:
I use anything but then again i run an xud. My bosses jag hates anything but branded fuel! Stick asda fuel in it and it had a fit! Missing every so often when cruising. Stuck shell in it was fine. I think its down to the car as lus mum has used supermarket fuel in her bmw 1 since new its on 160k and never once has it had an issue with it.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
The Rallye seems to like Tesco Momentum 99 better than V Power.

I tend to use Tesco Diesel too, nearest and cheapest,
Thanks given by:
I'm a shell fan. Just there regular diesel, I used tesco before as it was closest at the time and the DT did not like it what so ever. Started revving by itself slightly on the way home and a day later broke down with a blocked filter and loads of crap floating in the filter housing. Don't want to risk using it again so I've stuck with shell ever since and never had an issue. Plus I got I've 600 miles to a tank which was pretty good Smile
Thanks given by:
Well I was just about to reply to Bash and Chris saying it probably doesn't matter what you stick in an XUD/TUD...looks like I'm wrong there then! lol

I used to only use Shell when I had the Golf's, Vec and most of the HDi's, but switched to Sainsburys with the later HDis as I had less income and didn't seem to make any difference except a little extra coal on the boot lid (though I don't want extra coal in the DPF now). Shell points system is pretty poor and at least I get Nectar points on Sainsburys lol. The Shells always seem to be more expensive as well. Since getting the Focus I mostly used Sainsburys or BP until recently where I just use whatevers cheapest (being Tesco last time).
Thanks given by:
I just put in whatever station I'm going past when I want fuel.
Thanks given by:
Shell is Best in my experience but use Tesco as fuel save means I get it for 90 odd ppl, I'm back on veg now fuel save is done at end of September though, 63ppl lol Tongue
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 11:50 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: I just put in whatever station I'm going past when I want fuel.

I'll pass all 4 at some point in the next 2 days...how would you chose then? lol
Thanks given by:
I found the hdi to be happier on vpower diesel. It only costs a few pence extra, don't even notice the difference in cost
Thanks given by:
Isn't it about 5p more for premium? So £2.50 more on a 50 litre fill. £5 more a month. Though as £0.003 more per mile that doesn't seem so bad lol.

I could try on of the premiums from the above stations I guess...not VPower though as the Shell's a lot more expensive locally.
Thanks given by:
Pick whatever has the prettiest sign?
Never noticed any difference in any car ever. If it helps the time the zr felt 'best' on track was when it had tesco fuel and redex in so take from that what you will.

(18-08-2015, 11:01 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: The Rallye seems to like Tesco Momentum 99 better than V Power.
Isn't V Power only 97 Ron? Perhaps the 6' (fk the rallye) rated to 99 ron in standard form and just dials it back for the knock
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
BP has the prettiest sign. lol
Thanks given by:
I use bp mostly on my hdi. Also Miller Oils Eco Max helps with economy on mine, only fuel treatment that works imo.
Thanks given by:
I tend to get more miles from one of the major brands (noticeably more - like 50-60) if I use shell Esso, Texaco or BP etc, than I do from supermarket fuel (with the exception of those esso branded tesco stations).. the exceptio to this is sainsburys which seem to give equivalent
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 11:52 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(18-08-2015, 11:50 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: I just put in whatever station I'm going past when I want fuel.

I'll pass all 4 at some point in the next 2 days...how would you chose then? lol

Same way, whichever one I can be bothered to turn into.
Thanks given by:
I just bang whatever in the meg. It did feel alot smoother and more responsive on the shell vpower derv though.

Old HDi very rarely saw the pump. just a damn good mixture of scrap yard white derv at 50p a litre and tanks of red when payday was 2 weeks away and i was skint lol fortunately those days are behind me and i was lucky enough never to be caught and dipped Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
V power all the way for me. It cleans out the fuel system so I hear.
306 HDI 
stage 1+ remap
piper cross air filter
hoffmann race centre pipe
hoffmann de-cat pipe
sportex rear tailbox 3"

Thanks given by:
i try to always use shell... just because i worked there... and i lost my tesco clubcard so couldnt gain points there...

shell is also convenient for me. It doesnt particuarly matter where standard petrol is cheaper as a few pence doesnt make much difference.
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2015, 03:11 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote:
(18-08-2015, 11:52 AM)Toms306 Wrote:

Same way, whichever one I can be bothered to turn into.

I wish I could be as spontaneous as you... Sad lol
Thanks given by:
BP as a rule cos they do Nectar points Blush
Mechanic in the 90's
Chef in the noughties
Now just pissing about with catering
Thanks given by:
Shell, it's usually the next-best price to supermarkets around here and it's just better - mpg, power, NVH, etc.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
generally I use my local ASDA - 1 mile away. Sometimes Tesco if i'm passing & I've my dad's tersco card to redeem the discount.
I would have thought I would come down to how much/often the garage is replenishing it's tanks (turnover) to flush out the crud.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
50 litres of BP and it's much happier! Won't bother with Tesco again in a hurry.
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2015, 10:17 AM)Toms306 Wrote: 50 litres of BP and it's much happier!  Won't bother with Tesco again in a hurry.

Ultimate or standard? Actually, do they even do ultimate diesel  Huh
Thanks given by:
They do do ultimate diesel but its 10p more per litre, so I stuck with the standard lol.
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2015, 10:26 AM)Toms306 Wrote: They do do ultimate diesel but its 10p more per litre, so I stuck with the standard lol.

That's why i prefer not to look at the price of vpower diesel, ignorance is bliss lol
Thanks given by: