Sprung vs un sprung.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sprung vs un sprung.
As I said, my experience is all with rally cars, you were asking for advice on a Motorsport clutch so that's my two pence Wink
Thanks given by:
XU10J2TE and XUD11 are 235mm clutches btw, as is the Dw10.

XUD9TE are 215mm.

V6 is 242mm.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
So shit the bed. Welsh pug is right. There's a surprise. Just measured my flywheels. So buy a cg then figure out how to fit an ml box while it wears out.

So rang helix on the off chance. They only do a hdi clutch and will only garentee up to 300 ftlb anyway. May as well just get the cheaper cg and start looking into bigger clutch options.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Welshpug its all very well and good comparing it to a "proper" in your words clutch like a Helix etc...which I dont doubt is fantastic in the world of racing and rallying which you like to go on about...

HOWEVER...most members on here are simply tuning up there own road cars, and do not have the budget for said items...a clutch from Helix that will even LOOK at holding back torque is best part of £500+ and that clutch in itself has problems with standard Peugeot parts. Alot of the cars arnt even worth the cost of the clutch...so unless its a serious project / something alot of time and money is being invested in, its just silly spending that much money...

On the comment regarding not running a paddle in your road car (allanallen) what would you suggest otherwise? Bearing in mind that the tuned diesels around here are making 300+ ft/lbs of torque at the flywheel, I certainly havent come across any standard fitment / aftermarket options in that price bracket which will hold this without a problem?

PERSONALLY (everyone is entitled to there own opinion) but in my opinion, driving an XUD with a 4 paddle un sprung plate from CG, is almost un noticeably different to driving a standard clutch, possibly when cold you might encounter a slight harshness, but otherwise, ask a passenger to tell, and they wouldn't even notice... The clutch's are so small in these cars they dont give that much grief...I had a 6 paddle in an Audi once, which juddered like mad, that was horrible to drive...but clutch diameter is far bigger, which makes it alot worse from my experience.

At the end of the day, unless your invested thousands into your build, then your likely expecting some issues along the way with things failing if you are planning to make big power on a budget... Yes if you want to build it 100% right, and be 100% confident in it, then by all means spend the extra on a big brand clutch, but for your big turbo xud's that cost 100-200 quid to get up to around 200hp, I would be going CG etc myself, cheap and does what it says on the tin mostly.

Im still to decide on a clutch for my car, as trying to do things properly / did have it in my head I would buy something different this time, but must admit, after getting prices for clutchs to handle what I want, I am forced to think again... Worth the risk though for most people IMHO
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I need to have confidence in it as it is my road car. But cost has to be factored into this. The aim of my build was a fast daily. Ive already achieved this but not quite as much as i want. Saying this cg clutch will help me get there. A lot of people only focus on the bad stories that are said. Not the many good working vehicles that are on the road running them. I will be running a cg and have decided now to order an unsprung one. Even if it does change the way i drive a little im not to fussed. Hope it lasts a reasonable amount of time and if it doesnt its £80 to re line. I have a fair few other things i want to sort before worrying about the gearbox.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
that is the world of tuning!! if you will increase torque to levels that stock BE type clutches can't cope you will have to find something that can, that's the price of it!

If you want it to work on the road, well, buy something with a clutch that will take it or pay the money to get a decent clutch, I've heard nothing good at all about CG.

as for the rally, what of it?!
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2015, 05:41 PM)welshpug Wrote: I've heard nothing good at all about CG.

I give up!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(05-08-2015, 06:32 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote:

I give up!

Rofl
Thanks given by:
Darren, I have no idea what car the OP wants the clutch for, I was mearly passing on my experiences with paddle clutches. If CG clutches hold 300ftlb get one fitted but I'm sure you'll agree with what I'm saying, if you're hammering them they wear out pretty quick!
The OP says it's a daily, a daily to me is something reliable that doesn't need constant attention. That would rule out paddle clutches altogether for me. opinions are like arseholes though, so there's mine for you.

Has any one had any joy with running uprated cover plates on a standard friction plate? I know they would still struggle with heat but if it's a 'daily' it's perhaps not going to get that much hammer and hold the short bursts of torque?
Thanks given by:
The problem is there is no other alternative that holds the torque, petrol yes wouldn't be a problem, but the dervs are making so much torque you NEED one hell of a clutch to hold them in drive, even mildly tuned ones if im honest...any pressure plate strong enough to make a full disc standard friction disc work, is just going to be snapping clutch cable ends constantly...

The CG holds 300+ trust me, I have personally abused my own car, the 305, the v6, marks car, toms zx, and trust me, they take abuse, and hold serious torque for the price....

And I still say you wouldn't even be able to tell the stock clutch vs paddle if you were a passenger..
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
I wouldn't me too dismissive of petrols, my mates turbo 6 makes over 350lb as well as having a much larger power band. Thats on 215mm helix paddle.

Go on, what does a 4 paddle CG cost?
Thanks given by:

FWIW, my full face Kevlar clutch was great, which was one of CG's first uprated Kevlar units.
 But I specified full face and a sprung centre so it was daily friendly but would take some heat - you need to know exactly what you want from them when you order.
You can have a full face metallic if you like for better wear, but they buy their pucks in already on the backing pads (that's why they're so cheap) - so it'd be made up of segments.

They've sorted the new clutch for the buggy, but we took it up and chatted through exactly what we needed, dimensions, etc, so that it was spot on first time.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
As always bad news seems to travel faster then good news! As I said my paddle didn't seem to last long on my dt but mark had his 1 at the same time as me and ran more power and torque though it and never had any issue. Which makes my think I was just unlucky.

I'm racking the miles up on the estate and the clutch is still fine. They're never going to last 10s of thousands of miles but that's all the fun with tuning cars I guess.

For the money we want to be spending on 306s the cg prices seem to fit in with that.
Thanks given by:
How many reface the flywheel before fitting the metallic clutches though?
Not many I'd bet?
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2015, 10:19 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: How many reface the flywheel before fitting the metallic clutches though?
Not many I'd bet?

Hm most likely, I do every time...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
CG Solid Paddles cost around the £100 mark.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I always resurface

Cg have quoted £150 solid or sprung delivered for me. 2 day turn around before they send out.
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2015, 12:49 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: I always resurface

Cg have quoted £150 solid or sprung delivered for me. 2 day turn around before they send out.

As i said on facebook me and marks got ours for £250 the pair. Poss worth seeing if anyone else is interested as you maybe able to get the price down
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2015, 11:42 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 10:19 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: How many reface the flywheel before fitting the metallic clutches though?
Not many I'd bet?

Hm most likely, I do every time...

Best way, it's a bog standard copper/brass/graphite material so it forms a protective layer on the flywheel and pressure plate to reduce wear - provided it's been resurfaced first, probably why yours are lasting better than some.

The flywheel and pressure plate on the TU still look almost new even after some years of abuse - but I skimmed the fly on the mill before fitting so it was perfect.
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2015, 12:47 PM)Ruan Wrote: CG Solid Paddles cost around the £100 mark.

I'm guessing that's just for the friction plate?
Thanks given by:
Yeah Shy
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Is £300 for stage 3 paddle clutch from them
Thanks given by:
CG have come on a LOT since a few years back.

Helix and Sachs both do paddle clutches for XUD9/11 but you need to go on their site and find ones which match the dimensions of the XUD9 or 11 one. But for a fast daily i can't imagine CG giving many problems.

(06-08-2015, 12:53 PM)Frosty Wrote:
(06-08-2015, 12:49 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: I always resurface

As i said on facebook me and marks got ours for £250 the pair. Poss worth seeing if anyone else is interested as you maybe able to get the price down

Was that JUST the friction plates?
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Yeah just the friction plate. Thats it.
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2015, 07:40 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Yeah just the friction plate. Thats it.

Are you running standard pressure plate?
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
W will be. A new valeo one. Apparently thats all cg use anyway
Thanks given by:
CG can't just use a Valeo pressure plate as they're charging £200 for it and a release bearing!
Thanks given by:
You can get the complete kit (plate and pressure plate) for under 150 with ease, so I dont see how there charging 200 for a pressure plate?
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(05-08-2015, 07:29 PM)allanallen Wrote: The OP says it's a daily, a daily to me is something reliable that doesn't need constant attention. That would rule out paddle clutches altogether for me. opinions are like arseholes though, so there's mine for you.

Zx_Volcanes been running a CG clutch for a fair while in his daily driver, it's been that long I can't remember if it's sprung or un-sprung. Apart from it being a bit sharper than a standard clutch and needing a few extra revs to take off it's perfectly liveable with imo. He's done thousands of miles on it including London driving. Not bad considering it's 250bhp+ and 350ftlb+ Smile
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2015, 09:13 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: You can get the complete kit (plate and pressure plate) for under 150 with ease, so I dont see how there charging 200 for a pressure plate?
Where
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by: