Larger rear brakes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Larger rear brakes
Before i start i would like say i dont want to hear about why would i like bigger brakes on the rear. I would like to know if it can be done at a reasonable cost.

So my rear brakes are struggling.
current set up is: 
Standard calipers
ds2500 pads
wavy discs 
Extra cooling from ducts.

So ive done a few track days and my rear discs are blue. Only done croft and castle coombe. I believe my rear brakes are not man enough.

So what are my options to make the brakes bigger?

Bigger bells and rotors with a bracket to use my standard calliper.

Or

A totally new set up with 2 pots from willwood etc with bells rotors and bracketry?

Any relevant comments welcome
Thanks given by:
Simply making them bigger in terms of diameter I don't think will solve the problem, you need to get a thicker, vented disc to help solve the problem which will cool the disc, so you can't use the standard caliper realistically. I've heard of people using the stock caliper with half worn pads and shoving in a 247 vented disc in the past but it's a bodge and I'd question whether it's even an improvement, especially sticking with the 247mm diameter.

I know the VW Transporter Sportline uses a nice caliper with handbrake and uses probably a ~280-290mm vented disc, maybe look at that as an option - it's then a case of choosing a disc size that has the right pad swipe area and PCD, then getting some adapters made for it, going for Wilwood/Brembo/AP and floating discs is a recipe for getting your wallet raped.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
True i already have ap racing 315mm set up on the front. Im totally unsure what to do.
Thanks given by:
What did they use on the BTCC / Group A / Maxi cars?

Wonder if there is anything renault that will fit considering lots of clios use the same caliper
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Ap 4 pots
Thanks given by:
i dont think youve got many options with calipers without loosing the handbrake operation. If lossing the handbrake isnt a issue you could use 205 1600 front calipers on the rear with 106 gti front vented discs i did it once. Id look at other manufacturers then it would only take a simple bracket or add a second caliper to the rear for foot brake?
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
Dodge Viper V10 has a handbrake caliper external.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-VOLKSWAGE...3f50952544

That's a rear caliper and disc - they're a good size and will enable you to retain the handbrake - just need to choose a suitable disc and have brackets made - basically there's no EASY option, but would definitely say that's your best way without going down the aftermarket route, which will cost significantly more.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
205 1.6 front pad carrier (bolts straight onto the 306 rear caliper)
and from memory a 205 1.9 gti front discs but put them on the rear. (or could be a 1.6gti disc I can't remember)

This way you have a vented rear disc
Thanks given by:
That plus hydraulic handbrake with a locking pin!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Btcc and f2000 mainly used a 2 piston AP caliper on an solid 260(ish) fully floating bell and rotor. We're currently making two set-ups similar to this for a customer. Btcc style adjustable stub axles with in built radial mount bracket to take an Ap 2pot, possibly a secondary bolt on mount to add a separate removable mechanical handbrake. £££££££££

The mod Paul mentions was devised I believe by a mate of mine Tom Fenton, simple, cheap and retains a mechanical hand brake for MOT, oh and also heavy and completely over kill! Tongue

Sounds like you have too much rear bias if they're working that hard!
Thanks given by:
Well i run as much as i can get away with without locking the rears.
Thanks given by:
Cituning used to do a spacer to fit standard caliper that allowed you to fit 306 s16 vented front disks on the rear

Shouldn't be too hard to get made up
Thanks given by:
how about a BX 16v brake caliper.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Speak to Hispec. They do a range of rear callipers and i THINK they do a off the shelf kit for the 306. 2 pot callipers. You will loose your handbrake but tbh if its not a road going car, thats not really an issue.
There are some cars out there with a proper built in hand brake mech but most that use any sort of 2 or 4 pot calliper have an external handbrake calliper. Not an issue really but you'd have to fit it somehow probably by welding some lugs further round to mount it on.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Haven't people used 300Z brakes in the past?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasty vibration coming from the rear brakes johnny625 9 3,894 12-04-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: johnny625
  What Rear Brakes Do I Have cateraxe 7 2,173 07-11-2016, 10:19 PM
Last Post: miles
  Rolling road - split driveshaft boot and binding rear brakes reduce power on graph? MY95 28 4,552 23-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Last Post: tigerstyle