2.0 8v XSI

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.0 8v XSI
Hi guys,

I've got myself a 95 XSI in really good nick, and was looking to track it. But being the 8v engine is it worth it... Not a great deal of aftermarket stuff for these engines... I don't want to do an engine swap mainly because I dont think I'll be able to shift the old engine afterward! But would a 16v head from a 6 fit directly on? I think I remember seeing somewhere that all XU heads fit all XU blocks?? Is that right? Obviously get manifolds to match etc 

Cheers 
Thanks given by:
Scroll down a few posts to the XU10J4RS head thread
Thanks given by:
Ahh missed that one!

I thought my 2.0 8v was an xu10 block though?

Is the principle the same?
Thanks given by:
Why not just do a trackday with the engine that's in there? A standard XSi 8v should be plenty capable.

Sure it won't be massively quick in a straightline, but that's not really the point of trackdays IMO... and besides, chances are that unless you're a trackday regular then the limiting factor will still be sat in the drivers seat, the tyres, then suspension/brakes.

I still maintain that the most fun I've ever had on a trackday was in an old Passat estate with ditchfinder tyres. What it lacked in straight line speed it more than made up for in hilarious fun.

Also, yes a GTi-6 head will physically bolt up to a 2.0 8v bottom end... but that's about it.

The 8v manifolds won't fit, the 8v downpipe/CAT won't fit a GTi-6 exhaust manifold, the coolant pipes will be wrong, the compression ratio will likely be wrong, the engine management won't like it, and the gearbox ratios will be ill-suited. Probably more too.

If you really must, then just swap over the complete GTi-6 engine with matching management and pipework.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
My main reasoning is I want to turbo... But can't find any flanges to make up manifolds with. Plus things like cams and pulleys are more readily available... It's still gonna go on the road from time to time so I want it capable of taking on some modern hatches.
Thanks given by:
Power is but a small part of going quick on track though.

Driver - tyres - brakes - suspension - power... in that order (IMO).

I can guarantee that if you put someone like Miles (Pugracing) in a standard XSi he'd run rings around the average person on here in a GTi-6, because he's actually pretty handy behind the wheel whereas most of the rest of us really aren't... whether we want to believe that or not.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Completely agree! Just feels like this lacks some mid range power... I'll be getting low compression forged pistons etc in the future whilst it's off the road so compression ratios can be sorted as and when.. I'll be making up my manifolds as well so it will all be made to fit.. And an aftermarket ecu at some stage. I figured this would be the most expensive part of my build so best to get it done and out the way first haha
Thanks given by:
Problem with the 8v XSI on track is it isn't keen to rev, isn't red line 6k? Its a really nice, torquey engine for the road though, I'd have one.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah it's a little on the lazy side, but it's not horrendous.

The point that I was making is that you don't need a quicker engine to take it on a trackday and have fun.

As for turbo'ing the existing 2.0 8v N/A engine, I don't really see the point - might as well start with a 2.0 Turbo engine from a 406/Xantia/XM/605 as the basic short engine will cope with coming on 300hp odd judging from what the Dutch have done - it's the turbo, manifolds and management that really hold it back.
Thanks given by:
its not lazy, just the head and cam wont work beyond 6k, nor is it torquey, gti6 haqs a good bit more torque.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
If I had somewhere clean and dry I would go for an engine swap, and I have no where to store a spare engine... My sheds a pain to get to and already overflowing! 

I was under the impression a 6 head is the next best thing?? 
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2015, 02:00 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: Yeah it's a little on the lazy side, but it's not horrendous.

The point that I was making is that you don't need a quicker engine to take it on a trackday and have fun.

As for turbo'ing the existing 2.0 8v N/A engine, I don't really see the point - might as well start with a 2.0 Turbo engine from a 406/Xantia/XM/605 as the basic short engine will cope with coming on 300hp odd judging from what the Dutch have done - it's the turbo, manifolds and management that really hold it back.

I have converted my 306 to the 2.0 8V Turbo engine, have a look at my thred and that will give you some idea of the work involved.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Flying the Flag for the XU10J2TE

You Tube: 832 Performance
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2015, 02:18 PM)welshpug Wrote: its not lazy, just the head and cam wont work beyond 6k, nor is it torquey, gti6 haqs a good bit more torque.
Lazy engines are generally described like that because they don't have much top end, but a relatively strong mid range. Its more about feel than paper figures. Everyone reckons the 8v mk2 Golf has more torque than the valver even though it doesn't, but because it has less top end, you don't feel the urge to thrash it, you just use the mid range torque.

The XSI is no sprinter but its a nice drive, it feels far more poweful than it is. Its feel that matters, not actual performance, hence why MX5s are so popular.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
As above, I'd get some time in the seat and instruction as even the best off us do, I had quite a few good days in a old XSi, The chassis when in good condition are great and as in any Pug, straight line speed is normally a issue, well lack of it

[Image: copySteveClarke-01380727504-HB3Z0190_zpsclqdxxpi.jpg]

Bog std just with some decent tyres and front pads, And bar one Caterham nothing overtook me all day
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
Enough torque for daily driving, but a bit of lacking while racing mode.

Some modification like a custom exhaust, intake can be increasing a little bit torque and power.
but, the restrict in the top end still occur.

Some ideas :

Love torquey = 2.0 8V Turbo

Love revy and good response = Gti-6
1999 306 GTI-6 PT81 & Remapping
2000 406 SRI 2.0 Turbo 6M/T @ 1 Bar Boosted

[Image: 150521115952.jpg]

Thanks given by:
(15-07-2015, 01:23 AM)maxzy Wrote: Enough torque for daily driving, but a bit of lacking while racing mode.

Some modification like a custom exhaust, intake can be increasing a little bit torque and power.
but, the restrict in the top end still occur.

Some ideas  :

Love torquey = 2.0 8V Turbo

Love revy and good response = Gti-6
To be fair if you wind the boost up on the 8v turbo, there is not much in it, it would be good to get out on the track to compare the two 
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Flying the Flag for the XU10J2TE

You Tube: 832 Performance
Thanks given by:
I looked into getting more power out of my P1 XSI, but was too expensive for very little gain. Ended up buying a 6 which is certainly more fun but in a different way.

I use the XSI more for motorway driving, sits at 70 perfectly and excellent at overtaking without changing down:

plus it has a couple bonuses over the 6 like the aircon still works Wink
Thanks given by: