Cam pulleys

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam pulleys
Looked into getting these annodized, but silly me only aluminium can be annozided, or other anodic metals. Obviously the cam pulleys are steel (yes?) so the question is:

Has anyone had any experience with painting these, and would it be likely to have adverse effects on the mating surface with the belt. Due to decreased gap in the spacing between teeth on the pulley.

Just thinking out loud really...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
how bout just painting the rest of the pulley, like the bit that the belt doesnt come into contact with?
also, don't you still have cam covers?
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Thanks given by:
Could do, but could prove hard I get them looking good after taping up etc.

And thinking of sacking it in for vanitys sake...

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
could use plasticine to mask it off, shove it into all the holes and then use a stanley to get a crisp edge

hmm fair, with painted pulleys... i would lol. just gotta make sure everythings clear ofc

Thanks given by:
Thats a bloody good idea!

And yeah, was looking at the fuel lienes thinking thu oils do with moving over a bit... Haha

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Haha thanks! I might have stolen it from a guy off 106owners, he did it to growing his bonnet badge.

Haha yeah, so close! Tho arent they meant to go over the top of the rocker covers? Theres those little grooves there for them...

Thanks given by:
I always did wonder that, but ive had no problems with them where they are now, and if Im running no cambelt cover, theres no hope of me routing them over that! lol

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Whos going to see the pulleys though there under a cover no?
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Please don't run without a cambelt cover...

I've done it... It wrecks the cambelt... Any bits of shit in there just eat away at the cambelt and start shredding bits off... Petrols are even MORE sensitive to slipping teeth than even Diesels.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:Please don't run without a cambelt cover...

I've done it... It wrecks the cambelt... Any bits of shit in there just eat away at the cambelt and start shredding bits off... Petrols are even MORE sensitive to slipping teeth than even Diesels.

Not that i disagree with that, but could you develop on that please?

I would consider my engine bay to be on the cleaner end of the scale, and its only going to get cleaner. Where would these pieces of shit come from?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Grant Wrote:
Ruan Wrote:Please don't run without a cambelt cover...

Not that i disagree with that, but could you develop on that please?

I would consider my engine bay to be on the cleaner end of the scale, and its only going to get cleaner. Where would these pieces of shit come from?

The road!

Stones and things flick up from wheelarchs / road surface etc, I know its not always possible, but wenever it is, its best to keep them covered...counts for when your working on your car also, so easy to drop a nut or washer down there, and then be left wondering if its gone down between the belt and pulley / the floor etc...better be safer than sorry.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
show leave em on while driving, whip them off for shows?

Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:The road!

Stones and things flick up from wheelarchs / road surface etc, I know its not always possible, but wenever it is, its best to keep them covered...counts for when your working on your car also, so easy to drop a nut or washer down there, and then be left wondering if its gone down between the belt and pulley / the floor etc...better be safer than sorry.

Hmm ok.
Not being a dick, just trying to get my head around it...

How do people get away with this then?

[Image: p1010078.JPG]

Or to take it to an extreme, this:
[Image: supercharger.jpg]

samass Wrote:show leave em on while driving, whip them off for shows?

Dont fancy doing a cambelt every time i rock up to a show lol

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
not the entire belt lol, just the cover

also, pic fail?

Thanks given by:
You can get away with it, ive done miles and miles without them.....normally no problems at all, but why take the risk? they are there for a reason...and you will regret it so bad when something goes down there and either fucks something up, or wastes half your day stripping the lower pulley off etc to remove something uve dropped.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
If your really obsessed with having them just on show, cut the cover so it's all covered apart from the cam pulleys. That way the bottom is covered (where it's most likely to get damaged) and you can't see that anyway.
Personally I don't see the point. Your engine bay isn't exactly the most spectacular in the world unless you spend lots on just looks to be covered by a bonnet
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Yeah, the crap that flicks up off the road goes in and will wreck the belt and dropping stuff down the covers is a nightmare, if you don't realise it it's even worse! Likely to wrap it up round the belt and slip something...

Really not worth it IMO.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Locking cam pulleys DeeTurbo 10 2,537 02-07-2016, 02:43 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  Cam sensing with vernier pulleys sian's creepy friend 3 1,250 12-04-2016, 12:22 PM
Last Post: sian's creepy friend
  Adjustable cam pulleys Lolben91 3 1,193 08-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Last Post: maxzy