Phase 2 306 Sedan Impulse Buy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phase 2 306 Sedan Impulse Buy
So was browsing through Gumtree last week, usual 306 search, and I spotted one that was up for £250. When I opened it I realised it had an arse on it, you don't see many sedans over here! So I dropped the guy a message to find out about it, ended up driving up to see it and then purchasing it for £170, pure bargain. Runs and drives, all I care about. Bar the 0 mot or tax, so now working on getting it home somehow, and then start to getting it running sweet and a small tune up.

It's a bit rough round the edges, needs a new drivers wing, but apart from that the rest is solid.

[Image: e89daf9eb69884b6ec8a91aab884b342.jpg]

[Image: 79c99d7efbce13d3546fc42a8751f723.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks good in the dark blue
Thanks given by:
oh man would have been better if it was black but looks good. bargain!
Thanks given by:
Plan of action is just to get it road legal first and then look into tasty bits, mainly brakes just need worked on, no real suspension issues that I noticed. But gonna swap out the struts for a newer set I have in the garage and a GTI6 front ARB.
Thanks given by:
Looks great for the price,good luck with it.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Finally got her home at 2am this morning, woke up to her on the drive, few mates went and lifted her for me. Looked underneath her before heading to work, no rust on the sills, and they're fully in tact, not crumpled like my HDI!

Chuck a few more photos up when I get the chance.
Thanks given by:
Great news

What you going to tackle first on her?
Thanks given by:
Started into the electrics end of things last night, namely, blowers, heated rear screen and central locking. Turns out one of the connectors in the back of the fuse box was loose, so plugged it in properly, that got the heated screen working. The blowers issue was caused by a melted relay, so GONNA replace that.

The next issue was the central locking, turns out the fuse was taken out, and found out why. It unlocks again as soon as you lock it, so GONNA try out the wiring mod on the central locking control module to see if that fixes it!

And a few photos of it with my daily...

Thanks given by:
Done a few little bits and pieces more on the sedan, slow work so far, but have created a list of all that needs done that I know of so far.

Stripped out the rear seats completely, have removed all the vents and fascia in the front ready for the newer fresher ones to be put in.

I also found the issue with the central locking, door jam switch had broken, replaced it and it works, sort of. The car will lock fine from the drivers door, but won't open from the drivers door. However, it will lock and unlock from the passenger side, still to fix this problem...

Also, whilst sorting the door jam switch, I also sorted the door loom which when I opened it up only had 3 wires broken and bare, so fixed them.

Popped off the door for ease of access!

Finally, just wanted to test to see what a quick polish would do with bringing up the paint on the car, it should come up nicely. Car was owned previously by farmers who have clearly washed it with Brillo pads, but came up quite nicely with a bit of polish. Going to give it a proper go over with compound at some point!

Thanks given by:
Looks good man. The locking only one way will probably be the loom you're repairing
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, couldn't find any more broken wires when I fixed it, and didn't want to wreck with it anymore haha fitting a hawk alarm with central locking anyway, mainly for the central locking aspect to save any hassle!
Thanks given by:
Progress on this I know is going to be slow, list of parts I need to buy and no money to buy them! However, going to do all the small cheap jobs that just make the car a whole lot nicer, going to post up a list of what needs done soon.

Tonight my girlfriend Clarice was kind enough to offer her hoovering services on the car whilst I removed the door cards, used to be a farm car so was not an easy task, the car stank and you felt dirty sitting in it. Now it's pristine, just how I like it!

Nice little before and after of the boot carpet!

The front and back clean

And the boot finished, then febreezed just to help with the smell. Now just to decide what to do next...
Thanks given by:
So the sedan has started to be a bit of a pain to start, takes a bit of loving with the accelerator and leaving her to heat properly. So I did the checks for potential air leaks into the fuel, and found this:

Turns out the primer has been rubbing on the part shown in this picture:

So now another thing to the list, new grenade and also looking into inline filters to reduce the chance of air getting in. Also have to fit the new glow plugs which I've had sitting for a few weeks, just need to get round to fitting them!
Thanks given by:
https://vimeo.com/133396604

So finally got my central locking and alarm unit wired in, all that's left to do really is run the wiring for the siren and then do a final wiring tidy up and she'll be sweet. Big game of trial and error to make it work properly, but finally got there!
Thanks given by:
So finally got all of the wiring finished up and tidied too, treated myself to a new stripper, of the wire variety, to make life a bit easier when doing the wiring. All that is left to do is wire up the siren for the alarm, so will have to run another wire from the back of the car into the front bumper but will do that at some other point. Battery in the car is also a bit fudged, leave it for an hour and it won't start again, probably because it's been sitting about for nearly a month now.

Had to hoover out and use power cleaner on the bench as well, making sure it's extra clean!
Thanks given by:
A little more progress on the car now, siren and everything wired up and rear seats back into the car. Took into the door cards to fix the loose cloth on them, bit of spray adhesive and some tender loving car and they looked, well, more presentable. Not perfect by any means but much better.

Fixed the waterproofing on the drivers door and then modified the door cards to accept newer speakers I had lying around, basically cutting them out so that there was space for the bigger magnets then create a small cardboard spacer to pull it marginally away from the window when it's closed. Speakers are covered in dirt and dust so just gave em a quick wipe and chucked them in, clean them better later on.

Wouldn't even notice with the covers on!
Thanks given by:
More progress made tonight, a few more things off the list, namely changed the steering wheel...

Before:

And thankfully after:

Much nicer looking, also fixed up all the fascia, still need to find an HDI fascia for the blower part as it has AC to match the rest, one black section in the middle. Tested the speakers Id fitted last night, work a treat, left one is crackling a bit as is the rear right one so going to have to investigate and sort that out. Paid soon so hopefully my list will have a few more things completed in the next month...
Thanks given by:
And again another small job that turned into an annoying job done, changing the rear shocks. Nuts and bolts hadn't moved clearly for the whole 18 years, so took a bit of persuasion to remove even after soaking in WD40...thankfully only 1 needed heat, nearly an hour to remove one bolt -.- and when it finally released it decided to throw itself in my direction, after being heated with a blow torch, thankfully missed. The shocks that were in the car were completely done, so replaced them with a set of TA Technix ones I had lying in the garage, should hopefully make a big difference!

Side by side of the before and after

And fitted into the car:

Now just to get a few more parts together and MOT prep her more, although the temptation of a Bosch pump may be too great for now...
Thanks given by:
A little more progress today, more just cosmetic shit. Painted the rear drums with the help from said girlfriend Clarice. I cleaned them up and she painted them basically, handbrake stills works fine so saw no reason to replace the drums when I can clean and paint for free!

Started out rougher than this, but you get the idea:

Then Clarice wanted a go at cleaning them:

Then the finished product:

I think they look far better, bit of TLC just. Now I just have to do the front calipers to match! Also buying more suspensions parts etc this week, getting her a few steps closer to being on the road.
Thanks given by:
Id be pulling the drum off anyway to check the shoes and cylinders. Often get forgotten about
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Looking good mate

When I had ta's I could understand why there made the rear shock small that the standard ones.
Thanks given by:
Planning to do the brakes properly another day, need to get a socket to fit the hub nut on the rear just! Was only doing a clean up job till I can buy the parts.

Yeah, the shocks should make a big difference over standard, getting new wishbones and a service kit for the car today, so will have that to do along with a few other things!
Thanks given by:
So spent today painting the front calipers, again with the help from Clarice. Gave me a good chance to clean and grease the sliders too.

Before cleaning:

After cleaning:

During:

Used my work light to help dry the paint quicker:

And the finished product:

Took the chance at the same time while I was waiting for the paint to dry to change the oil and filter, what came out was vile, so thankfully she's now got a load of fresh oil in. Starts and revs much better.

The thick tar that came out...

Was going to change the air filter, but got the wrong one so changing it for the correct one tomorrow. Also picked up both wishbones to change them, basically all that's left now is the brake parts and she should be sweet for MOT!
Thanks given by:
Some nice tlc going on here, I'd recommend a leather steering wheel though, and replacing those bus seats lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(28-07-2015, 07:28 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: Some nice tlc going on here, I'd recommend a leather steering wheel though, and replacing those bus seats lol

ive got a few spares in good condition!
Thanks given by:
Maybe do that in the future, happy the way she is for now. Be October before I can afford to MOT and insure her, so just getting her nice and tidy for now, did a few bigger things today which I'll be posting an update for later...
Thanks given by:
So yesterday was a busy day, changed out both wishbones, fitted new glow plugs, air filter and also changed to an inline fuel filter. Car starts and runs beautifully now!

So you could say that the P bushes were a bit fooked...

Driver side:
https://vimeo.com/134825064

And the passenger side was even better:
https://vimeo.com/134825185

So replaced them with nice shiny new ones:

So hopefully no more knocking problems!

The air filter was in a beautiful state also, just shows you how long it's been since the car was serviced that the whole filter was rusted.

Then went and hit into the glow plugs, I opted to take the intercooler off so I could do the fuel lines too, apparently you can do it without removing the intercooler...

So the glow plugs were a bit passed their use by date:

Old and new:

And yes I was a lazy git and only changed 2, my mate had told me the other too were really awkward to get at, but he did it with the intercooler on...awell. Change the other 2 some other time.

Then hit into fitting the inline fuel filter, it's currently botched fitment but it works perfectly!

Did find that I'll need to fit it more upright as the filter must hold a small bit of air in it and when the side going to the fuel pump tilted up slightly, engine conked out because of air in the fuel line, gonna fix that soon though.
Thanks given by:
I've got the same as you only in silver and will be going through a similar process soon. Looking good so far.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, definitely a bit more to go before MOT however. Still need to change our the front shocks and springs which are fooked in it, stiffen it up a little. Think there is still a slight knocking noise coming from the front, but I'll change the shocks and see if it's still there ie. Hope it disappears haha

Had to steel the wheels off the back of it for my daily, so now I know what she'll look like with the 205's on, definitely happening.

Will be getting her dropped on them, only about 60mm probably.
Thanks given by:
With those types of inline filter make sure you have enough fuel line to turn the filter 90* when you fit it so when you prime the system you can put the outlet at the top and get all the air out. Having air in it means you are only using half the filter area too.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phase 1 TD Sedan 306Genesis 9 4,123 27-05-2020, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Owenmbo