In 2 minds

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In 2 minds
Genuinely a bit stuck as to what to do, I start my new job on 1st June, I'll be racking up nearly 80mile a day

Absolutely love my 1.8 Meridian, it's more than enough for what I use it for, family run, long distance run, short Sprint, handles bloody well too.... Granted it needs a little bit of work but she's pretty spot on! Mileage is low despite it coming up for a cam belt kit change (76k currently)

I'm wondering if it's worth sorting out the little bits on her and keeping her a lot longer.... Or worth selling up and getting the HDi to eat the miles... Insurance works out the same, the cost of the car isn't a problem for a decent one, the only factor is diesel.... In the long run I'll probably be spending what I'm saving in diesel...

What do I do?! People, throw pros and cons at me lol I need help deciding!
Thanks given by:
What mpg are you getting in the 1.8, so you can make a rough guess at monthly savings.
Thanks given by:
Well if I drive it well into reserve from a full tank and just do city driving I can get around 330mile to a tank

But if I do long distance I can get around 450mile a tank

Sorry I don't know mpg figures
Thanks given by:
I've managed over 600 miles in my XUD of mostly city driving 
Thanks given by:
That's just mental figures! Nearly double what I get... Thing is.... HDi or XUD? I've asked before, and to be honest, the only ones I like seem to be meridians as it has half leather... Haven't seen any XUD with them
Thanks given by:
Just put them in. My xud has meridian I interior.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough... But even so ... Petrol or diesel?! Lol do I keep mine or sell it?!
Thanks given by:
I hardly ever got over 500miles in my xud. But it has always been tuned.

But I think you would be happy with either the hdi or XUD for power and mileage.

I think you have to decide for yourself, most of the diesel fans will say diesel, and the petrol lot will say petrol. Though most do have a diesel run about and the 6/rallye/S16 is a weekend car.
Thanks given by:
Yeah see I need something that does everything, even has the kitchen sink... Ok not that far but I want a good handling, comfortable nippy car that can eat some mileage and looks good doing it!
Thanks given by:
The handling will be the same basically, if not these are easy to modify. The Dt will be quicker that the 1.8 after a quick little tune and will still do more miles.
Thanks given by:
What should I look at paying for diesel and what mileage should I expect to see when buying?
Thanks given by:
tbh Ive done this... ive used my throttlebodied 1.8 doing around 400 miles a week at 18mpg. It wasnt fun and in reality all my money went on that. Now ive got the Saab which gets 25mpg and ive saved so much. I would recommend getting the hdi. It will save you more money and it has more tuning potential anyway.
Thanks given by:
you can pay anything from £300 and lower to around £900 on a XUD or Hdi. Just depends on the spec and what people want for them and what you are willing to pay.
Thanks given by:
I need to know what mine is worth first so I can get an idea on what I would pay for the next car...

(12-05-2015, 03:29 PM)Eeyore Wrote: tbh Ive done this... ive used my throttlebodied 1.8 doing around 400 miles a week at 18mpg. It wasnt fun and in reality all my money went on that. Now ive got the Saab which gets 25mpg and ive saved so much. I would recommend getting the hdi. It will save you more money and it has more tuning potential anyway.
Yup, I've done 600-720 miles a week for about 8 months at my least job..... All of which was in a seicento... Wasn't comfortable in the slightest! But at 80 a week on fuel I couldn't really complain too much from a 1.1 that topped out at 105mph down hill lol
Thanks given by:
Most of my driving is is centralish London with the odd thrash out but as a rule never out of 3rd in stop start traffic and I get 35ish to the gallon and around 50 on a motorway run.

I have the GLX HDi which has the half leather and all the usual run out model stuff
Mechanic in the 90's
Chef in the noughties
Now just pissing about with catering
Thanks given by:
Looks like diesel seems to be the way to go in terms of mileage...
Thanks given by:
If I ever got below 600 miles to a tank in a HDi I'd think it was broken! Only used to average 450 to a tank in the 1.8.

HDi does come with a bit more spec being ph3 (working brakes for a start), XUD is cheaper to fix when it goes wrong. The driving preference is down to the individual.
Thanks given by:
I like one that handles well ... Something I can throw into the corners!
Thanks given by:
Well they all have the same suspension lol. You either choose a sports model (DTurbo) with better suspension but lose half leathers or a comfort model (meridian or glx) with half leathers and leather wheel but softer suspension.

You could of course do what I did and take meridian parts to make a DTurbo comfortable... Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Hmmm happy to go for softer suspension and then upgrade eventually lol I like leather.... I still can't tell if it's coz I have a fetish or not... I mean... Well I wear it a lot... As you can see Lol

[attachment=23153]
Thanks given by:
I used to average about 700-750 miles a tank in the hdi, best result was well over 850. Long journeys at steady speeds they're impossible to beat, which sounds like what you're doing.

As Tom says, they'll handle pretty much the same as the 1.8, a little heavier over the front, but on standard gear i'd be surprised if you notice the difference. You'll probably find it's quicker off the line than the 1.8 too.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Looks like I should go for a HDi model for definite then... Just get a decent set of shocks and tyres to go with it... I do like a sharp handling car, not that I'll be doing many B roads on way to work, but I do like to go for a drive and find decent roads
Thanks given by:
550 miles from my hdi, really need to fix this slipping clutch
Thanks given by:
HDi FTW! Big Grin
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
Better crack on getting mine sorted! Won't be selling til around September though once I've settled into my new job and back from Italy lol
Thanks given by:
Don't forget a stage 1 whippy map will probably give you a tidy increase in mpg as well.
Thanks given by:
always found whippies to be a bit messy when they start to melt.... Or are you talking about a remap?!
Thanks given by:
Yeah get a remap, whippy hasn't been seen for about five years and his maps are a bit behind the times now, will get more power from a hdi-tuning.co.uk or dervtech map.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Quality, is the chassis near enough the same as petrol models??
Thanks given by:
(13-05-2015, 01:18 PM)PocketFighter Wrote: Quality, is the chassis near enough the same as petrol models??

Identical mate, try and get a Dturbo trim though, slightly lower and stiffer suspension Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by: