noise behind glovebox aircon and stop light

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
noise behind glovebox aircon and stop light
Hi, I have a late 99 reg 306hdi..

When I switch the air blower on (not the recirculated). After a few seconds I get a horrible noise (maybe plastic cogs grinding?) keeps going until I switch the blower back to 0. Further if I switch a/c on then turn the blower dial I get the noise and the stop light flashes until I turn a/c back off...

Any info on what the problem might be?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
I'm still a tyro with these cars so can only offer very basic advise..........

so the noise happens when the blower fan is turned on....is the engine running when the noise happens??

try turning the blower fan on with ign on and engine not running.....same noise??

if so then not eng issue, or a/c pump etc.......as they are not turning, but probably blower fan blades or worse fouling the casing??  any leafs or twigs down there causing this....?

sorry but that's about my limit, hope it helps....

ps dry blower motor bearing??

as to air con and stop light, I have no idea......
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the input, so far only teated with engine running, and stops as soon as I turn ign off or turn blower back to 0, I'll try on just the ignition later.. Best way to get to the ducts? From engine or behind glovebox? Pop off the vent perhaps?

(22-04-2015, 09:33 AM)pug306driver Wrote: I'm still a tyro with these cars so can only offer very basic advise..........

so the noise happens when the blower fan is turned on....is the engine running when the noise happens??

try turning the blower fan on with ign on and engine not running.....same noise??

if so then not eng issue, or a/c pump etc.......as they are not turning, but probably blower fan blades or worse fouling the casing??  any leafs or twigs down there causing this....?

sorry but that's about my limit, hope it helps....

ps dry blower motor bearing??

as to air con and stop light, I have no idea......
Thanks given by:
sorry dude I'm a tyro on these cars and have the opinion that if it aint broke, don't fix it...if its already broke then braking it again wont really matter!!

anyways be careful under the trim panel under the heater above the passenger foot well, there are relays and connections there, that can be kicked by the passenger and cause problems..........

I removed the passenger side under bonnet wiper trim the other day wanting to clean the "green" form the plastic heater duct etc, and also the box section connecting side to side, where the rain water etc drains........to check for possible water leaks into the car, as sometime the screen mists up, an indication of a water leak into the car??  that I learned form this great forum. the mot dude told me about front fire wall/scuttle corrosion, but ours is ok....was investigating about waxoiling that area as well, but have decided not to fiddle for now......

anyways the plastic duct did not want to come off, so rather than breaking it, I cleaned as best as possible and refitted. I could get my hand in there someways, but not "inside" the car..........one of the days I will peel back the carpet and look for water/rust stains in that area...........

I assume that the left plastic under bonnet duct is held on in a similar way to the multi electrical block on the r/h/side, under the wiper motor??

if you carefuly remove the passenger "trim" and have a look see, if the blower motor can be removed with everything else left in situe, that might be the way forward.....check in the manual, or parts exploded view......but I'm sure a real 306 guru will tell us.......

I'm still learning about these cars and improving ours   all info gained form this brilliant forum. Heart I would be well and truly stuff without this place, I'm being honest and very grateful. thanks dudes Heart
Thanks given by:
Blower motor probs fcuked, three screws underneath in passenger footwell and it's out, easy enough to change
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by: pug306driver
I learn summut new about our car everyday on here...........brilliant place Heart Heart
Thanks given by:
As said the motors shot or there's something in there
Thanks given by:
thanks all for the input...

So I tested this with ignition on and engine off.... it ran silently for a while but started making the same noise if I gave the bottom of the glove box a good knock....

I took the blower motor out - duct is completely clear of any obstructions and the baffles move as they should when switching between recirculated and inlet air, so no obstructions.

The blower motor itself looks fine, it spins freely enough and the blades (cage) are intact and obstruction free.

Running the blower motor (out of the casing - laying on the floor) its running fine!

After I put the blower motor back in it ran perfectly for most of the day - then hit a (Small) pot hole and it started screeching again!!

It seems as is the blower motor is hitting the casing when the car takes a bump or I go round a tight corner - If I give the bottom of the blower motor a tap it will stop... but at the same time it seems firmly in place!??

confused!!
Thanks given by:
Bearing might be shagged
Thanks given by:
Can I get the blower unit apart to look at the bearing? Once I had it removed I couldnt see a way to get it apart - there was a single screw in the bottom of the plastic casing but the rest seemed moulded?
Thanks given by:
never had one out of one of these cars so am interested....can you post a pic or 3??

a would imaging it would be possible to use a spray grease type lub?? but keep lub away from the brushes and commutator, the copper bars and sprung loaded black carbon "brushes", which are the electrical rotating contacts "into" the motor.......

much play in motor armature, the turny bit with wires and copper bars and brushes........much play in the bearings and bearings rattly?stiff??  pics pics pics...........also under the heater, can you see the bulk head?? or bodywork??
Thanks given by:
I sprayed some GT85 into the motor some time back and that stopped the annoying "squeak, squeak, squeak" found going round corners made it squeak too before i sprayed it...just attack the bastard with the good stuff and see if that solves it Wink
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fan always on + STOP light on dashboard arooscroocked 20 4,634 03-02-2018, 01:50 AM
Last Post: arooscroocked
  Stop light flashing on and off Welshy_Pete 15 3,607 20-03-2016, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Welshy_Pete
  STOP light flashing maffy 9 2,407 04-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Last Post: RetroPug