changing rear axle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
changing rear axle
how easy it it to change my rear rear axle with drum brakes to and axle with discs and what if anything else needs to change when i do it
Thanks given by:
Very easy in theory... But seized bolts and brake unions will probably make it difficult! Dropping the beam is only 6 nuts accessed from the boot, but disconnecting the brakes, backbox, spare wheel for access is what causes problems.

The only thing you NEED to change is the handbrake cables, they are different between drum and disc brakes.
Thanks given by:
cheers mate
Thanks given by:
Brake lines are different too I think.
Thanks given by:
brake lines are different from phase 1/2 to phase 3 as they didnt use a bias valve but is easily converted.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2015, 10:53 PM)Stef205 Wrote: brake lines are different from phase 1/2 to phase 3 as they didnt use a bias valve but is easily converted.

Is that the case between gti6 beams of different phases as well?
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
yes it is i believe, but its only the rear mounting arm braces that are different its all interchangeable so its no biggy
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
Ok great thanks.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
The brake hose brackets are permanently fitted onto the ph3 beams and aren't compatible with the brake bias valve, but you can just swap the whole beam bracket for your old one. Or do what i did and wait until you're under the car before realising and take an angle grinder to the bracket in anger.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ok thanks.
Got a rebuilt beam to go on but don't know which phase it is from.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Make sure you've a pair of mole grips. The unions on the brake pipes can be a complete twat. One of mine came off fine, the other was properly seized.
Thanks given by:
I've got a pair. So far I've removed calipers but left the brake lines all attached. My plan is to swap the whole beam back on, loosely bolt the brakes on and give them a bleed and if I do that successfully and don't shear the nipples I'll put them back on properly.

The brakes seemed like they were binding though so should probably look at that too. Probably the piston needs a greasing I'd imagine.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
If the piston is pitted or scored it's time for a new one, more likely it's sticky sliders or dirty carriers though.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear stub axle sizes weka 2 2,113 26-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Last Post: weka
  rear axle joe67 4 2,696 25-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Last Post: carlukepeugeot
  rear axle beam tube quality dsm482 10 4,008 22-12-2017, 02:01 AM
Last Post: dsm482