Caddy's

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caddy's
Not the people who carry golf clubs around, the vans.

Looking at a '07 1.9 TDI with 97k on the clock tomorrow, and common faults to look out for? Going for the 1.9 'cos AFAIK its the most reliable engine out of the range.

Love my old bus to bits but its pissing out PAS fluid, the beam and gearbox are ruined and I need something to give off a better impression seeing as I'm doing more private work these days....Plus Caddys look awesome modded.

Cheers, Pete
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
Have ever drove one? I've had 3 through work, can't say I like them.

So basic it's unreal, no storage in the front. Not a toy in sight.

MK3 Berlingo FTW !!
Thanks given by:
Nope but know afew lads who own them/have them as work vans and they love em. This one's got electric pack and AC which is enough for me, Considered Mk3 Berlingo's but I don't like How they drive/How they look (standard anyway) And a mates seems to spend more time at the dealers getting repaired than getting driven (his might just be a bad 'un though) They are great value for money though I'll admit.
Thanks given by:
The one we have at work is a 2012 with the electric pack. It's only got electric windows. It was 12k, 6 months old with 20k on.

My Berlingo has AC, electric windows, mirrors, sat nav and parking sensors. And that was 8.4k brand new in 2013. I can't sing there praises enough!
Thanks given by:
Good wee vans, nothing really bad to watch out for besides the usual dmf rattling, gearbox whine, not overheating etc etc.

Keep it well serviced with good quality oil and I'll go on for ages.
Thanks given by:
I know about Tea Caddys but as that's irrelevant I'll be leaving.
Thanks given by:
Cheers chaps. Do love a bru Dum Dum, Yorkshire tea, strong two sugars!
Thanks given by:
Transit /thread.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
Majority of the vans at work are Caddy's. They all have electric windows, mirrors and AC. Storage above you too so not sure what everyone is talking about.
Thanks given by:
The Caddys are ok. Nothing special though. I think they carry a lot of scene tax because of what youve already said. They look good modded (if thats your thing). That 1.9 TDi lump is the same as i had in my Octavia. Very reliable and never missed a beat for me (and believe me it took some stick) but was stupidly agricultural. Ive head John Deeres running nicer!
The Berlingos/Partners are fantastic imo (and I'm not just saying that because were on a french forum). They are pretty plasticy but everything seems to wear very well and isn't too expensive to repair when it does wear out. Also, like Carter says, you get a lot for your money.

The New shape transit and connect are VERY good but i would imagine thats a bit out of your budget? Again, a basic one whilst very good, is very very basic. Lucky to have 4 wheels!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I agree completely about the extra tax on caddy's and wouldn't buy one because of it. Mk7 Transits are a nice place to be and give good economy. A lot cheaper than a new shape as well.
For the size of the van it is, my mk6 gives better fuel economy than my berlingo. Is far more comfortable, bigger and has an armrest and turbo.

They do rot though.
I
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
Budget around 6k, I know they're scene taxed to death but if you like something its worth whatever you want pay IMO. Will be doing the usual lows/wheels and map but nothing too silly I CBA with the hassle these days. Never considered Transits TBH and I do like them but doubt they'd get 45-50mpg which is what I'd want?
Thanks given by:
[Image: vanshiz%20006_zpsyp5tgijb.jpg]

[Image: vanshiz%20008_zpseov23a1w.jpg]

[Image: vanshiz%20010_zpsl6xekxef.jpg]

Been running it just over a week/430 miles now. Good points: Refined, drives nice and pretty nippy for what it is. Can get the bike in the back without shifting all my work tackle, Good standard sound system and the AC works a treat. Bad points: Been mentioned but cabin storage isn't as good as the old Partner, Rubbish cup holders that are too big to actually hold cups, Engine sounds a little agricultural, But mainly the seats...they're a special place in hell reserved for whoever produced them, unsupportive and seemingly made from concrete. Other seats bolt straight in though so looking at Mk4 Gold GTI seats to replace them on the cheap. Doing a straight swap deal on my wellers for some 18x8.5 Merc monoblocks soon also Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I forgot how ugly they are as standard
Thanks given by:
Better looking than most other vans IMO
Thanks given by:
Should of bought a transit connect. Used to use caddys for work and they were hateful things to do long journeys in.

As you say though the seats are the killer, rock solid and unsupportive horrible bastard things!

Each too their own but IMO as far as work vans go, a Ford is the only way. its the only thing they do well.
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
I hope you make it look as epic as the Partner, il reserve judgement but at the moment it's not doing much for me. Connect looks miles better standard but from experience I can appteciate the Caddy is the closest thing to driving a car, most other vans really feel like you're driving a van.
Thanks given by:
I do like connects tbh, fancied something more car like to drive a it's my only transport for 15-20k per year and the old vans about as refined as a horse and cart lol. Will be getting modded but nothing to extreme as it's a work van and I did kinda ruin the partner!
Thanks given by: