Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
darrenjlobb's Adaptronic Managed Compound Blown Derv Bus Build
Overdue update time.

Spent alot of time over the xmas / new year period turning spanners on this thing, so quite a bit has been sorted out.

Main task was to wire up the engine  / management. As is fairly obviously with injector / pump choice, this build has gone down the common rail route at long last, after many years of running varying setups with mechanical rotary style injection pumps. The biggest issue I have always had with going down the common rail route was just the lack of functionality, or at least I should say, easily accessible functionality of the "stock" EDC15 ECU's. Problem being they were made to do there job, and not really anything else, so huge amounts of time and effort seem to be required to "force" them to do what you want, and still lack inputs / outputs and advanced capabilities. So in the end decided that wasnt going to be the best route for me, and took the plunge into a fairly risky but hopefully interesting route by buying an Adaptronic E1280 out of AU, with an injector driver board from the Netherlands to enable me to drive the solenoid style injectors on the engine from the normal injector outputs on the ECU.

The main drive for this was parts just down to nature of the setup I have put together, CP3 pump, bigger injectors, VNT turbo/s and alot of other aftermarket stuff going on, getting everything to work even in principle on a stock ECU just seemed like alot of effort. The E1280 without going into to much detail is basically a very capable ECU which has a somewhat "modular" setup, in which you can pretty much design your own logic to perform just about any task you want, rather than just being stuck with basic ECU operations. This seemed ideal for me in the long run with compound VNT turbos to control, different fuel pressure regulation system, and other electronic stuff going on. Along with the fact the ECU can be used in any other vehicle in the future...petrol or diesel.

So anyway first step was to enclose both the injector driver board and turbo actuator drive board into some suitable enclosures as they are supplied as a bare printed board. The smaller board is to allow me to control the electronic "Hella" accuators directly from the ECU. Without it the ECU wouldnt be able to provide enough current when there is strain on the veins.

[Image: DSC_1734.JPG]

[Image: DSC_1740.JPG]

[Image: DSC_1742.JPG]

[Image: DSC_1744.JPG]

As you can see I just mounted some connectors on the box to make it easy to connect / disconnect from the car at any stage.

Next step was to mount some bulkhead connectors to the car to allow me to make the engine looms completely dissconnectable from the car. So drilled some holes and mounts and test fitted those:

[Image: DSC_1748.JPG]

Decided to split the loom into two, an injector harness, and main harness, that way the injector wiring is totally separate to everything else. And was able to use connectors with the correct current rating.

So started by making up the injector harness, was actually able to use the stock plugs and wires here as plenty of length in them:

[Image: DSC_1752.JPG]

And all wrapped / finished:

[Image: DSC_1754.JPG]

Then onto the main harness, started by terminating tails onto the car side of the connector, I wanted to terminate everything now, as its hard to get back into these once all together, so terminated every pin and ran back to the ECU, then spare wires can be tapped into in the future with minimal effort!

[Image: DSC_1757.JPG]

[Image: DSC_1759.JPG]

[Image: DSC_1762.JPG]

I also decided at this point due to the amount of pins already being required for the management, that I would keep the existing "stock" functions on the stock connector, given the car was already wired for it, and it all works just fine. So that is just things like the reverse light, alt energiser, starter energiser etc). So I cut out all the stuff I didn't need and re made the stock loom:

[Image: DSC_1765.JPG]

Then started measuring up for the main harness, using old wiring etc to get lengths all correct:

[Image: DSC_1768.JPG]

Marked up the mockup loom on some cardboard, and then made up a new harness with new cable to match the drawing:

[Image: DSC_1773.JPG]

Sheaved up and ready to terminate:

[Image: DSC_1776.JPG]

Getting the end ready to terminate, the shielded cable is for the reluctor style crank sensor:

[Image: DSC_1779.JPG]

And all finished up:

[Image: DSC_1783.JPG]

Thanks for looking Smile
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: darrenjlobb's Compound Blown Derv Bus - Engines In! - by darrenjlobb - 02-01-2017, 11:35 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daves Compound Twin turbo XUD Dave 333 137,455 11-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Dave