My 306 renovation project.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 306 renovation project.
Heart 
A couple of months back I bought my first 306.
Its a Phase 3 1.4 LX.

Just before Christmas it failed on a few thing that I was able to repair myself, But also failed horribly on emissions. It has finally passed, so I'm on the road again, but I want it to pass again next year.
Ive really enjoyed working on it and learning how to fix things, so much so that i now consider it a hobby.

So Im going to work to get this thing back in to top condition. Not in any attempt to make money, But for something fun to do and to learn new things.

I figure a To Do list is in order. As I complete each job I will upload photos of the progress. I guess striking out the list and linking to posts with the job ive done.

So here it is, the flaws:

-External:
-¬ Paint work peeling on several panels. (Will learn how to repair bodywork myself)
-¬ Some deep scratches on several panels.
-¬ Drivers electric mirror not working, self adjusts with vibrations.
-¬ Dented, now mountainous looking bonnet. (My mate rolled over it back and forth and f*cked it up Angry )

-Internal:
-¬ Passenger foot well damp. (PRIORITY. Not sure if the damage this could potentially cause would mean its worth working on the rest of the car.)
-¬ Indicator faulty when indicating left, Needs cleaning out.
-¬ Driver window is slow.
-¬ Ceiling makes sticky noises when cornering fast. (haha)
-¬ Steering wheel needs replacing, as it feels like a cheap toy.
-¬ Glove box is the smallest thing I've ever tried to store something in. (not sure what i can do about this... Might create more storage within the car)

-Functional:
-¬ Head gasket is on its way out. (I will either replace the engine or the head. Both items cost about the same to purchase.)
-¬ First and second gear are difficult to select. (Could be a simple transmission fluid replacement, gear linkages or clutch problem? I plan to replace all three anyway.)
-¬ Battery mount is broken, Not held in tightly.
-¬ Rear brake cylinders are on their way out.

Not bad really for a 15 year old car that was owned by a kid who "used to think he was a racing driver". haha.

Along side this, I also want to:
- Fit alloys, after restoring and painting white.
- Lower car slightly.
- Replace the speakers that are apparently made from toilet paper.
- fill the indented line around the bumpers to make them look smoother, and with that maybe remove the clip on trim on the sides of the doors.
- Replace exhaust system. New manifold, Up front catalytic converter as opposed to a mid one and the rest.
- replace wing mirrors with full colour ones.
- de-badge the rear.
- Replace seats.
- install alarm.
- Replace any parts that are just looking a little old, if they cant be cleaned up.
- And eventually, once the car is running like new, Look in to getting a more impressive engine in there. (I passed in August this year, So im going to keep that insurance down for a while.

I cant wait to get started. I love this car, and this its worth putting some love in to.

Also, Once the weather stops being so brutal outside, ill get some photos up!

Would love to hear suggestions or questions too! Smile

(Might be a little slow getting started with this since im attempting to find different job.)
Thanks given by:
sounds a good project Smile get some pics up!
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
Can i ask why you are replacing the head/engine if it's just the head gasket that's gone? Wet passenger footwell is probably the heater matrix, do you get much hot air out of the blowers?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Or door seal around the passenger front door
Used to fill up when I parked it downward facing, particularly if it was downward to the nearside.

You've got a tiny glovebox because the car has aircon. Not a lot you can do apart from ripping all the aircon out and fitting a glovebox from a non-air con car. (Wouldn't bother as they aren't great either!)

If the headgasket needs doing, you'll likely only need to change the gasket itself. You'll need to have the head skimmed at a machinists. It's just time consuming if you haven't done it before and it's imperative you time the engine correctly afterwards. Have a search for 'Peugeot TU head gasket guide' i'm sure something will turn up as your engine is the same as those fitted to 106,205,206,207,307,Xsara,Saxo,AX,C2,C3 etc etc etc.

It's not fun when brake cylinders pop - so i'd get that sorted.

Get pics up! I'm guessing its Diablo red...
Black 306 Rallye
Topaz Blue E39 530i Sport
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
(15-01-2015, 12:57 PM)Poodle Wrote: Can i ask why you are replacing the head/engine if it's just the head gasket that's gone? Wet passenger footwell is probably the heater matrix, do you get much hot air out of the blowers?

My blowers work alright, but I've possibly not seen them at their best.
And as the headgasket has gone, I assume that its gone for a reason, That being something like a warped or cracked block. It will be cheaper to replace the head or engine than to repair the head.

(15-01-2015, 06:33 PM)hbomb1905 Wrote: Or door seal around the passenger front door
Used to fill up when I parked it downward facing, particularly if it was downward to the nearside.

You've got a tiny glovebox because the car has aircon. Not a lot you can do apart from ripping all the aircon out and fitting a glovebox from a non-air con car. (Wouldn't bother as they aren't great either!)

If the headgasket needs doing, you'll likely only need to change the gasket itself. You'll need to have the head skimmed at a machinists. It's just time consuming if you haven't done it before and it's imperative you time the engine correctly afterwards. Have a search for 'Peugeot TU head gasket guide' i'm sure something will turn up as your engine is the same as those fitted to 106,205,206,207,307,Xsara,Saxo,AX,C2,C3 etc etc etc.

It's not fun when brake cylinders pop - so i'd get that sorted.

Get pics up! I'm guessing its Diablo red...

I hope it is the door seal, But I have the sloshing sound when i start the engine, Which isn't encouraging.
The reason for the head or engine replacement is because its alot cheaper than getting the head skimmed. Im willing to spend money on the car, But when I can save, i will. Smile

(15-01-2015, 06:50 AM)John1.4 Wrote: sounds a good project Smile get some pics up!

And yes, My phone is a joke, Cant transfer photos from it, So gonna have to take some on a friends phone. haha. But yes, Diablo red. Smile
Thanks given by:
Sound good

Get some photo's up buddy Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rallye Renovation tarmac terror 13 3,228 22-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Last Post: tarmac terror