Track Tyres Just on the Front

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Track Tyres Just on the Front
Has anyone just used track tyres on the front and not the rear?
Anyone have any opinions on this?
Or would Michelin PS3's do for a trackday or two a year?
Thanks given by:
That would be a terrible idea. Sticky front and loose rear end on track.... Confused

Look for videos on people using snow tyres just on the front lol. Either do all 4 or none. PS3s should be fine for light track use, unless you're going on track every weekend.
Thanks given by:
I think you'd be in front end lift of oversteer city central if you fit grippy tyres to the front and have less grip at the back, look at the FWD civic drifters running a very similar setup.

PS3's would be fine for a track day in a 306 I would imagine.
Thanks given by:
I used PS3s on track and they were great. No problems at all.
Thanks given by:
I was thinking it would make the rear end a bit sletchy but wanted to hear what everyone else thought
Will stick with Michelin PS3's on track then
Thanks given by:
(16-01-2015, 10:43 AM)MY95 Wrote: I was thinking it would make the rear end a bit sletchy but wanted to hear what everyone else thought
Will stick with Michelin PS3's on track then

if youre only doing a few track days a year and youre driving there and back then a decent set of PS3s should be fine. Getting into R888s and the like is very expensive and then you need to swap the wheels etc over at the track. Granted it means you dont have to worry about tread on the way home and youll get better performance on track but for small amounts of track time I dont think its worth the money.
Thanks given by:
(16-01-2015, 10:45 AM)SRowell Wrote: if youre only doing a few track days a year and youre driving there and back then a decent set of PS3s should be fine. Getting into R888s and the like is very expensive and then you need to swap the wheels etc over at the track. Granted it means you dont have to worry about tread on the way home and youll get better performance on track but for small amounts of track time I dont think its worth the money.

Agreed. Alternative there are some good budget track tyres out there that will last 2 or 3 trackdays, depending on how you drive (Federal 595 RSR). They're not as quick as 888s or others but much better than the Michelins I had before.
Thanks given by:
Yes as said by other people is a bad idea as you front tryes could have lods of grip and the rear wouldn't have any.track tyres work better at different temp to road tryes so its best not to mix and match.

Also if you had a mix of r888 and road tyres on wet track it could be disasteres.

I will the running nankang ns2r ( stop laughing ) witch are a new breed of tyres that a "track tyre" but can be driven on normal roads and also very good in the wet.

Things like like toyo r1r, federal595 and advan ad08r are good bet aswell I did my research and thought the ns2r where the best for me and also got a awesome deal on them aswell.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
When I rented a clio to use on the Nurburgring, it was only running track tyres up front.. I only noticed when I was giving it back, but I have to say whilst it felt tail end happy, it was progressive and felt fine (apart from it being a LHD renault so shitty overassisted steering, no feedback and I kept punching the doorcard on the redline) lol
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Yes, probably a terrible idea! A set of old wheels plus some track rubber would be what you want, shouldn't cost the earth on a 15" wheel and would be top of my shopping list ahead of any other modification. Apart from being quicker, dedicated track rubber is far more progressive and adjustable and allows you to have a bit more fun in my opinion. Additionally it stops you completely f*cking up a good set of road tyres, you might find the shoulders wear our way before the tread is done.

...or, when your road tyres wear down and need to be changed, get the tyre shop to put them on your track wheels. Then f*ck the shit out of them at the track.
'95 Peugeot 405 GLX with XU10J4RS and ITB's
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9TD with TD04
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:
See cullys 'drifting' at combe with all four wheels with track tyres...only be compounded if you only had the fronts.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(16-01-2015, 03:13 PM)Piggy Wrote: See cullys 'drifting' at combe with all four wheels with track tyres...only be compounded if you only had the fronts.

cold rear track tires due to running to much Tyre pressure Wink

The 306 is fun to drive but many have been written off by lift off overstear i suggest you need good grip at the back Wink

(16-01-2015, 10:45 AM)SRowell Wrote:  youre only doing a few track days a year and youre driving there and back then a decent set of PS3s should be fine. Getting into R888s and the like is very expensive and then you need to swap the wheels etc over at the track. Granted it means you dont have to worry about tread on the way home and youll get better performance on track but for small amounts of track time I dont think its worth the money.

i disagree track tyres make the car handle in a completly different way compared to road tyres
i swap my wheels over yes mainly cause i dont want to kill my 16" road tyres
but secondly the track tyres i use are better than the 16" roads

i would recommend in a second set for track
ive also got a 3rd set now for wets cause im planning on a few track days and booking in advance you cant book the weather

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
(16-01-2015, 03:20 PM)cully Wrote:
(16-01-2015, 03:13 PM)Piggy Wrote: See cullys 'drifting' at combe with all four wheels with track tyres...only be compounded if you only had the fronts.

cold rear track tires due to running to much Tyre pressure Wink

The 306 is fun to drive but many have been written off by lift off overstear i suggest you need good grip at the back Wink

(16-01-2015, 10:45 AM)SRowell Wrote:  youre only doing a few track days a year and youre driving there and back then a decent set of PS3s should be fine. Getting into R888s and the like is very expensive and then you need to swap the wheels etc over at the track. Granted it means you dont have to worry about tread on the way home and youll get better performance on track but for small amounts of track time I dont think its worth the money.

i disagree track tyres make the car handle in a completly different way compared to road tyres
i swap my wheels over yes mainly cause i dont want to kill my 16" road tyres
but secondly the track tyres i use are better than the 16" roads

i would recommend in a second set for track
ive also got a 3rd set now for wets cause im planning on a few track days and booking in advance you cant book the weather
Thanks given by:
I'm also planning on putting on proper track tyres on my car. I have done a couple of hours on the track on decent road tyres and they do get very very bloody hot and very well eaten. Peoples corner speeds on track tyres are so much greater and on road tyres it was my back that was trying to slide more than the front so having stickier fronts would just compound this problem and wouldn't make me any faster.
Thanks given by:
I'm running AD08R at 60 quid a corner. They've been bloody awesome so far even in the wet and cold mainly on the road.

I used track front, road rear before too. You can't push enough to really feel the imbalance as the rear slows you down too much. Better off watching the pressures on the ps3s and using them. They can roll badly on to the sidewall though so camber into the front might help them last longer. They do overheat fairly fast too.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  17" track tyres fatlapit 3 1,680 06-04-2015, 04:21 PM
Last Post: 7057sam
  recomended tyres for road/track cully 33 8,133 21-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Last Post: jamiek_uk2000